Religion Vs Spirituality

herald

Electoral Member
Jul 16, 2006
In Psalm 119, the word, "Word," is used interchangeably with, "law," "commandments," "judgments," "precepts," "statutes," "testimonies."

God's Word is His law.

"A new heart also will I give you, and a new spirit will I put within you: and I will take away the stony heart out of your flesh, and I will give you an heart of flesh.

And I will put My Spirit within you, and cause you to walk in My statutes, and ye shall keep My judgments and do them." Ezek 36:26,27. When His Spirit is within us, we are empowered by His Spirit to obey His Word/His law.

Jesus said, "Not everyone that saith unto Me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of My Father which is in heaven.

MANY will say to Me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in Thy name? and in Thy name have cast out devils? and in Thy name done many wonderful works?

And then will I profess unto them, I NEVER KNEW YOU: depart from Me, ye that work iniquity." (lawlessness) Matt 7:21-23.

"And hereby we do know that we know Him, if we keep His commandments. He that saith, I KNOW HIM and keepeth not His commandments, is a liar and the Truth is not in him. But whoso keepeth His Word, in him verily is the love of God perfected: hereby we do know that we are in Him." 1 John 2:3-5.

Jesus said, "My sheep hear My Voice (His Word), and I KNOW THEM, and they follow Me." John 10:27.

Jesus said, "He that rejecteth Me and receiveth not My Words, hath one that judgeth him, the Word that I have spoken, the same shall judge him in the last day." John 12:48.

The Apostle John wrote, "Whosoever committeth sin transgresseth also the law: for sin is the transgression of the law." 1 John 3:4.

The Apostle Paul wrote, "For as many as have sinned without law shall also perish without law: and as many as have sinned in the law shall be judged by the law; For not the hearers of the law are just before God, but the doers of the law shall be justified." Rom 2:12,13.

"Jesus answered and said unto him (Nicodemus) Verily, verily I say unto thee, Except a man be born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God...Except a man be born of water and of the Spirit, he cannot enter into the kingdom of God. That which is born of the flesh is flesh, and that which is born of the Spirit is spirit...Marvel not that I said unto thee, YE MUST BE BORN AGAIN." John 3:3-7.

Religion is going to church, performing the traditions and thinking that you have eternal life. When you invite His Spirit to live within you, you will have eternal life - because He is eternal life.

"But be ye doers of the Word, and not hearers, only, deceiving yourselves." Ja 1:22.

SirJosephPorter

Time Out
Nov 7, 2008
Ontario
This guy (assuming he is a guy) reminds me of eanassir (mercifully he has stopped posting). Eanassir also used to quote voluminous verses from Koran, something for which hardly anybody cared about.

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
This guy (assuming he is a guy) reminds me of eanassir (mercifully he has stopped posting).

Why? You have a problem with people posting about different philosophical viewpoints? I find that that is a common theme amongst Atheists and clear evidence that it is quickly becoming the newest religion.

Eanassir also used to quote voluminous verses from Koran, something for which hardly anybody cared about.

Seems to me that there were quite a few here that said they have read part or all of the Quran. If you have a problem with religious discussion, perhaps you should just leave the religious threads alone lest somebody call you a troll.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
"Religion is going to church, performing the traditions and thinking that you have eternal life."

I think this distinct description constitutes the difference between religion and spirituality. I've met some religious people in my day who did not have a single scrap of spirituality in their soul. And vice versa.

El Barto

les fesses a l'aire
Feb 11, 2007
Quebec
religion stifles man, takes away freedom.
Spirituality is the way to self enlightenment, self growth.

Religion does not want man to do it on its own.

herald

Electoral Member
Jul 16, 2006
Don't you have anything better to do than haunt the Christian forums? It seems a little immature to me.

Jesus said, "Ye must be born again, in order to inherit eternal life." John 3:3-7. Religion will not give you eternal life.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
What does it mean to be born again? I know Christians believe that you must be born again in Christ, but what would be the conclusion of someone not familiar with the Christian view. Would not being born again mean something like becoming as a child, to see the world without preconceived ideas of what the world is about.

A child sees life as new and fresh, through eyes of wonder, in each and every moment. A child has no concept of good and evil. It lives in the moment, with no thought for the future, not really thinking of the past. I believe that that is what is meant by being born again, to shed the veil of lies that permeate our culture. Ideas about reality that have been stuffed in our minds by those who think it is their job to fill our "empty" heads (in their minds) with a bunch of ideas that they were force fed when they were young and innocent.

That is the difference between spirituality and religion. Spirituality is an open and trusting mind and heart with no preconceived ideas about life, willing to accept the truth in what ever form it presents itself, to have faith that life itself is benevolent, that the under lying foundation of our universe is love.

There is evil in this world because very few have ever been taught to trust life. We live in fear because we have been taught not to trust, to be suspicious of everyone, all with the intention to control us through fear, to keep us separate from each other and the web of life of which we are an integral part. Religion has traditionally been the instrument of that fear. That is why our media continually bombard us with fear of other peoples and their religions.

The truly spiritual approach to life is "There is nothing to fear but fear itself". There is no good and evil, only ignorance and judgment, which is something else Jesus taught against, "Judge not lest ye shall be judged". We need to stop filling people's minds with all this fear BS and start teaching our children the true meaning of Love, acceptance and brother/sisterhood. We are all children of the same mother, all equally beautiful, worthy and loved. Religion keeps us seperate. We do not need it any longer. It is stifling our growth.

ironsides

Executive Branch Member
Feb 13, 2009
United States
Don't you have anything better to do than haunt the Christian forums? It seems a little immature to me.

Jesus said, "Ye must be born again, in order to inherit eternal life." John 3:3-7. Religion will not give you eternal life.

The Catholic church took care of that requirement by requiring those who joined it, or were born into it to be Baptized. Sort of the Wal-Mart of religion.

5Jesus answered, "I tell you the truth, no one can enter the kingdom of God unless he is born of water and the Spirit. 6Flesh gives birth to flesh, but the Spirit[b] gives birth to spirit. 7You should not be surprised at my saying, 'You[c] must be born again.' 8The wind blows wherever it pleases. You hear its sound, but you cannot tell where it comes from or where it is going. So it is with everyone born of the Spirit."

herald

Electoral Member
Jul 16, 2006
Unless you are born of His Spirit, you will not have eternal life, but, will suffer death and destruction in the lake of fire. John 3:3-7.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
Unless you are born of His Spirit, you will not have eternal life, but, will suffer death and destruction in the lake of fire. John 3:3-7.
John was an idiot. Judging by his ranting in revelations, the guy was on moldy rye, having really bad dreams or he was schizophrenic. Just another perpetrator of the lies that promote fear. The world is a beautiful place. You need to smoke some pot and get some perspective dude! All this doom and gloom is going to give you a heart attack or cancer.

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia

Hi herald, how's it going, nice I hope; The recommendation "ye must be born again" is universally expressed and of great antiquity, it is maybe one of the primal truths. Jesus may very well have said it as I'm sure you have said it and I have said it and fully seventy-five percent of those who have ever lived have said it and thought about it and built in that direction. It is best they say if you are born again with every new day starting from the sunrise release of your travails of the preceeding day. Righteously emptied you are thus fully prepared to encorporate new fresh crisp lessons from the lord. Only by constant rebirth can one keep up with her majesty. Thankyou very much for bringing it to our attention again, we can never permit ourselves to disobey the will of god in such a fundemental matter of clear and necessary spiritual growth. :smile:

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
John was an idiot. Judging by his ranting in revelations, the guy was on moldy rye, having really bad dreams or he was schizophrenic. Just another perpetrator of the lies that promote fear. The world is a beautiful place. You need to smoke some pot and get some perspective dude! All this doom and gloom is going to give you a heart attack or cancer.

Do you remember the recipe for proper christian/judeo annointment of priests/accolytes/believers that I posted here a few weeks /months ago? Herald cannot actually teach scripture unless he undergos the heaviest cannabis induced altered state of the official sanctioning ritual, they say. None of them can.

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
Perhaps. I think he mentioned that he was a doctor. But he had this hobby horse of quoting extensively from Koran. I don’t think too many people were interested in that.

His post were regularly commented on. The Koran is of great interest to billions of people at this point in history. It has been the subject of great study of late. How is it you can discount the billions with such disregard for those facts clearly demonstrated interest by great numbers of readers who do find comfort in its pages?

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury

How's the fishin' in that lake?

Seriously, why would any sane person subject themselves to the neuroses of living with the imposed guilt of people unable to bear their own loads of shame? I sleep well at night. Peace of mind isn't something you're going to get watching over your shoulder for a bogieman....

Last edited: