Dozens of Filipinos crucified today... caution - disturbing content

Outta here

Senate Member
Jul 8, 2005
Edmonton AB
Happy Easter. :-|

A 15-year-old boy has been crucified in the Philipines today in a gory ritual to mark the death of Jesus Christ.
Dozens of Filipinos, including the boy and an 18-year-old girl, were nailed to crosses and scores more whipped their backs into a bloody pulp as the country's devout Roman Catholics marked Good Friday.

Last edited:

MikeyDB

House Member
Jun 9, 2006
The greater morality of the Catholic Church "builds-in" strategies for exactly this kind of thing...
Simply "confess" and the murder of children (even if murdered in the name of god..) pedophilia and fraud will be forgiven....

Sort of like a U.N. resolution.....

Outta here

Senate Member
Jul 8, 2005
Edmonton AB
to be fair Mikey, apparently nobody's been actually killed during one of these 'celebrations' according to the article... nonetheless re-enacting such a barbaric event symbolizes nothing positive to me... and having kids participate only deepens my dismay - disgust even, at what passes for spiritual affirmation.

MikeyDB

House Member
Jun 9, 2006
Sorry Zan, you're right, this story I may have taken too literally and responded to with the anger I reserve for the whole ideology as a whole. I hold only contempt for anyone prepared to embrace this barbaric and fraudulent mysticism. Same goes for all belief systems that history compel the un-blindered to recognize as anti-life and primitivism from ages long past chronologically but ever-present in the minds of the utterly stupid.

BM5

Time Out
Mar 8, 2008
I'd like to hear a Christian's perspective on how this enhances their religious or spiritual experience - I can't fathom it.

Color me with the brush of belief.

This article is repulsive to say the least. I saw the whipping thing on the news and took it for what it was, sensationalism for the sake of shock to attract the crowd to empty their pocket. As edification for faith, it is in the negative, it adds to the desire for revolution.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
I'd like to hear a Christian's perspective on how this enhances their religious or spiritual experience - I can't fathom it.

What it does is create an altered mental state and massive endorphin rush which makes them think they're having a spiritual experience. Deep meditation or smoking up would probably be a much more practical way of achieving that, without putting at such great risk the body god gave you. Mind you, the body can easily handle spikes driven through the feet and hands if you have proper hygiene and medical care, but you still get my point I'm sure.

Sparrow

Council Member
Nov 12, 2006
Quebec
Also proves how the church, in my case, told me another lie. I was taught that Christ died because he was crucified and when he was close to death they speared him to speed it up.

This is a prime example of religion brainwashing. I am not sure what religion they believe in but whatever beliefs they have this is barbaric.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Also proves how the church, in my case, told me another lie. I was taught that Christ died because he was crucified and when he was close to death they speared him to speed it up.

This is a prime example of religion brainwashing. I am not sure what religion they believe in but whatever beliefs they have this is barbaric.

Crucifixion was indeed used to kill people. Basically, it was a place to hang them and watch them starve to death or die of infection, pain, etc. Most people heading for crucifixion weren't in great health to begin with.

It's not like taking a healthy young person, driving some spike through their hands (and note, their arms are tied to the cross so that their weight is not hanging from the nails), leaving them there for a bit and then taking them down and cleaning them up.

Scott Free

House Member
May 9, 2007
BC
Religion = child abuse.

The OP is an extreme example, usually it isn't so obvious.

I don't mean to say the parents have any ill intention toward their children. I'm certain most have their child's best interest in mind. Abusers typically do, or at least think they do.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Religion = child abuse.

The OP is an extreme example, usually it isn't so obvious.

I don't mean to say the parents have any ill intention toward their children. I'm certain most have their child's best interest in mind. Abusers typically do, or at least think they do.

zealotry tends to be pretty equal to abuse yes. I've seen it from atheists too. A spiritually inclined kid repeatedly told they're being stupid. zealotry is dangerous in all its forms.

Scott Free

House Member
May 9, 2007
BC
zealotry tends to be pretty equal to abuse yes. I've seen it from atheists too. A spiritually inclined kid repeatedly told they're being stupid. zealotry is dangerous in all its forms.

Oh I didn't mean zealotry, I meant any kind of religion where a child is taught to rely on an imaginary sky god instead of their own good sense and reason. Santa isn't child abuse IMO because eventually the child learns their parents are lairs but most people never figure out god is just another Santa. Since most (all) religious people don't really believe in god (as I explained in another post) they are teaching their children this Santa is real (only because they hope he is); the abusive effects of which can last a lifetime.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Oh I didn't mean zealotry, I meant any kind of religion where a child is taught to rely on an imaginary sky god instead of their own good sense and reason. Santa isn't child abuse IMO because eventually the child learns their parents are lairs but most people never figure out god is just another Santa. Since most (all) religious people don't really believe in god (as I explained in another post) they are teaching their children this Santa is real (only because they hope he is); the abusive effects of which can last a lifetime.

You run off very happily making large statements about 'religion', trying to lump all into one category. Yet you come out later, when pressed, with qualifying factors, such as 'any religion where...'. Well Scott, not all religions, not even all people within one set religion are the same. It gets highly irritating to hear seemingly logical rational men bow to such stereotyping. I try very hard not to stereotype all atheists as arrogant, abusive asses, despite the majority of those I've met on here. I get sick of you lot not taking the time to afford those on here who are spiritual or 'religious' the same respect.

Scott Free

House Member
May 9, 2007
BC
You run off very happily making large statements about 'religion', trying to lump all into one category. Yet you come out later, when pressed, with qualifying factors, such as 'any religion where...'. Well Scott, not all religions, not even all people within one set religion are the same. It gets highly irritating to hear seemingly logical rational men bow to such stereotyping. I try very hard not to stereotype all atheists as arrogant, abusive asses, despite the majority of those I've met on here. I get sick of you lot not taking the time to afford those on here who are spiritual or 'religious' the same respect.

I agree, my bad.

Some parents don't teach their children religion until they are old enough and have developed logical faculties and no longer live in the fog of childhood magic. I very much commend those parents!

Avro

Time Out
Feb 12, 2007
Oshawa

There are no atheists in a foxhole Karrie.:wink:

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
I agree, my bad.

Some parents don't teach their children religion until they are old enough and have developed logical faculties and no longer live in the fog of childhood magic. I very much commend those parents!

I've heard you deem yourself 'skeptic' once upon a time Scott. Yet you seem to fail to note that many who attend church are as well. True skepticism means not claiming to know the truth either way. My children get an education in skepticism. They attend church, they attend Catholic school, and they get discussion at home regarding how to view religion and the world in a skeptical fashion. I see no reason in my children, 6 and 7 years old, to doubt their mental ability and narrow their education to one avenue, atheist or religious. That would show an awful amount of doubt in their mental abilities.

edited to add... very few people I know who practice any given religion are devout let alone zealous. Most are skeptics, if not when it comes to the existence of some sort of god, definitely when it comes to the dogma of organized religion. But few agnostic or atheist skeptics are willing to approach discussion and conversation in a manner which will draw honest discussion out, rather than defensiveness.