"In The Beginning Was THE WORD..."

herald

Electoral Member
Jul 16, 2006
"Every Scripture is God Breathed and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness; so that the man of God may be perfect, fully furnished for every good work." 2 Tim 3:16 (Literal Greek)

Our Creator Spoke The Worlds Into Existence: "Through faith we understand that the worlds were framed by the Word of God, so that things which are seen were not made of things which do appear." Heb 11:3.

"Who (Jesus) being the brightness of His glory, and the express image of His person, and upholding ALL THINGS by the Word of His power..." Heb 1:3.

The First Challenge To The Word Of God was in the garden of Eden, when Satan queried, "Hath God said...?" Gen 3:1

The Word = The Law: In Psalm 119, the word, "Word," was used, interchangeably, with, "law," "commandments," "judgments," "precepts," "statutes," "testimonies.

We Are Born Again By The Word: "Being born again, not of corruptible seed, but of incorruptible, by the Word of God, which liveth and abideth forever." 1 Pe 1:23; Ja 1:18; John 15:3; Eph 5:25,26.

Obeying His Word Keeps Us From Sin: "Thy Word have I hid in my heart, that I might not sin against thee." Ps 119:11.

"But be ye doers of the Word, and not hearers, only, deceiving your own selves." Ja 1:22.

His Word Guides Us: "Thy Word is a lamp unto my feet and a light unto my path." Ps 119:105,67,103.

His Word Is Bread To Our Spirit: Jesus said, "It is written, Man shall not live by bread, alone, but, by every Word that proceedeth out of the mouth of God." Mt 4:4.

"...I have esteemed the Words of His mouth more than my necessary food." Job 23:12.

"Thy Words were found, and I did eat them; and thy Word was unto me the joy and rejoicing of my heart..." Jer 15:16.

Faith Comes By The Word: "So then faith cometh by hearing and hearing by the Word of God." Rom 10:17.

The Roman Centurion...said...but, speak the Word, only, and my servant shall be healed." Mt 8:8.
Jesus responded, "Verily I say unto you, I have not found so great faith, no, not in Israel." Mt 8:10.

Healing And Deliverance Come By The Word
: "He sent His Word and healed them and delivered them from their destructions." Ps 107:20.

Tradition Renders The Word Of God, Useless
: Mt 15:1-9.

Those who Obey God's Word Are More Blessed Than Mary: "...a certain woman...said unto Him, "Blessed is the womb that bare thee and the paps which thou hast sucked." But, He (Jesus) said, "Yea, rather, blessed are they that hear the Word of God and keep it." Lu 11:27,28.

We Are To Tremble At His Word
: "...but to this man will I look, even to him that is poor and of a contrite spirit, and trembleth at my Word." Isa 66:2.

Jesus Quoted Scripture In Spiritual Warfare With Satan: "It is written..." Mt 4:4,7,10.

"And take the sword of the Spirit, which is the Word of God." Eph 6:17.

"For the Word of God is quick and powerful and sharper than any twoedged sword, piercing even to the dividing asunder of soul and spirit and of the joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart." Heb 4:12.

We Are To Search The Scriptures To Verify What We Are Taught: "The Bereans were more noble than those in Thessalonica, in that they received the Word with all readiness of mind, searching the Scriptures, daily, whether those things were so." Acts 17:11.

The Disciples Spoke The Word Of God: "...ye received the Word of God, which ye heard of us, ye received it not as the word of men, but as it is in truth, the Word of God..." 1 Thess 2:13.

Men & Women Are Martyred For The Word Of God: "And when he had opened the fifth seal, I saw under the altar, the souls of them that were slain for the Word of God..." Rev 6:9.

And, Most Significant Of All - JESUS IS THE WORD OF GOD: "That which is from the beginning, which we have heard, which we have seen with our eyes, which we have looked upon, and our hands have handled of the Word of life..." 1 John 1:1.

"For there are three that bear record in heaven, the Father, THE WORD, and the Holy Ghost, and these three are one." 1 John 5:7.

"In the beginning was The Word and The Word was with God, and THE WORD WAS GOD...and The Word became flesh and dwelt among us." John 1

"And He was clothed with a vesture dipped in blood: and HIS NAME IS CALLED THE WORD OF GOD." Rev 19:13.

All praise to the expired ("breathed out") Word of the living God!.

hermanntrude

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Jun 23, 2006
Newfoundland!
and your point?

If we wanted to read the bible, we could have... err..... read the bible.

but thanks so much for spouting some of us at it.

I'll do the same sometime with a chemistry textbook, see how much you enjoy that.

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
Church is the imposition of someone else's guilt on an innocent soul in order to control another wounded heart.

My God gave me the power of thought and I please my God by using it....

Wolf

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
and your point?

I'll do the same sometime with a chemistry textbook, see how much you enjoy that.

Could you start with a good online source for melting points and other characteristic traits. I'm too lazy to make my way to the library for the Merck index or CRC handbook.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
Considering this is the "Christian Discussion" forum, I'm at a loss to understand why someone that doesn't want to discuss Christianity or the bible would bother even looking in here. It's not like he/she posted this in a general discussion area.

Cosmo

House Member
Jul 10, 2004
Victoria, BC
Wolf ... we are lucky here. There are some pretty deep thinkers in this corner of the Blue Nowhere.

Gerryh ... because it is a DISCUSSION forum. You know, give and take, exchange of ideas, good debate. Asking why someone is quoting from a bible is not out of line, imho. It would be like me posting something from one of my Laurell K Hamilton books without explanation.

I am not christian, but I find discussion with christians is often most interesting. I am always curious about what people think and why they believe as they do. I don't expect to convert them, nor do I fear being converted, so it makes for some really good conversations. Bit like visiting another culture, to my way of thinking. Never hurts for me to expand my understanding of human nature.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
Wolf ... we are lucky here. There are some pretty deep thinkers in this corner of the Blue Nowhere.

Gerryh ... because it is a DISCUSSION forum. You know, give and take, exchange of ideas, good debate. Asking why someone is quoting from a bible is not out of line, imho. It would be like me posting something from one of my Laurell K Hamilton books without explanation.

I am not christian, but I find discussion with christians is often most interesting. I am always curious about what people think and why they believe as they do. I don't expect to convert them, nor do I fear being converted, so it makes for some really good conversations. Bit like visiting another culture, to my way of thinking. Never hurts for me to expand my understanding of human nature.

Sorry, there was no "discussion" here.

• and your point?

considering the "complaint"in red above, how would you propose one "discuss" quotes from the bible if one did not actually post the quotes to be "discussed"?

Curiosity

Senate Member
Jul 30, 2005
California
Point taken Cosmo - well done. I think this group can discuss almost anything thrown their way without having to don protective gear.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
Oh yes....and I thought it was self explanitory as to why he was quoting what he was quoting considering the topic header and the short blurb before each quote.

Cosmo

House Member
Jul 10, 2004
Victoria, BC
Well, Gerryh, not self explanitory to all of us, I fear. I don't understand why anyone would post quotes from a book without some sort of personal comment with them.

But, on the up side, it's allowed you and I have this nice lil chat! ;)

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
Well.... if one is only able to scratch the surface, and does not have the where with all to dig deeper, I can see how a detailed explanation would be nesassary.

Cosmo

House Member
Jul 10, 2004
Victoria, BC
Well.... if one is only able to scratch the surface, and does not have the where with all to dig deeper, I can see how a detailed explanation would be nesassary.

Now gerryh, you don't know me well enough to make that call. Just because I am not a christian does not mean I lack depth or intelligence. How does that go again? "Judge not lest ye be judged"??

I was raised catholic and have studied the bible ... I just don't buy it.

Agree in principle, Wolf ... spirituality and religion have little to do with one another.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
I can (as usual, aren't I irritating), see both views on the issue.

Typically, when someone posts an article, quote, or link without adding a comment, it's because it is something that people might find unusual, or that might spark new debate. In the Christian forum however, it's assumed that we're all quite familiar with 'The Book'. Thus, quoting from it without any comment beyond a few bold blurbs here and there, doesn't really serve a lot of purpose. The post didn't make much sense to me either.

On the other hand, it IS a Christian forum. It IS the appropriate place to put such a piece.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
Because I don't have Church in my life doesn't mean I don't have Christ....

Wolf
That is very true, and Christ never said that you had to go to Church every Sunday . In fact, he said the opposite. Paraphrasing here...big time....lol..... Jesus basically said that a man that prayed in the privacy of his own home(closet) would be invited into heaven before a man that went to Church every Sunday but did not follow his words the rest of the week.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
Now gerryh, you don't know me well enough to make that call. Just because I am not a christian does not mean I lack depth or intelligence. How does that go again? "Judge not lest ye be judged"??

I wasn't judging, I was making an observation based upon your statement. You're the one that said "not self explanitory to all of us".