"Protestant Thread, all others keep out"

look3467

Council Member
Dec 13, 2006
Northern California
Hey folks, talk to me about any religious thoughts or beliefs you have.
Perhaps, I may be persuaded, and then again, I may persuade you in the course of the discussion to a different point of view.
Which ever the case, lets talk.
Lets give it a starter question: Should society have some sort of religious guidance?
I mean is it ok for the president to be Catholic, protestant, Jew and or Muslim?
Should our rules and regulations be religiously based?

What say you?

Peace>>>AJ

s_lone

Council Member
Feb 16, 2005
Montreal
Lets give it a starter question: Should society have some sort of religious guidance?
I mean is it ok for the president to be Catholic, protestant, Jew and or Muslim?
Should our rules and regulations be religiously based?

What say you?

Peace>>>AJ

It's perfectly OK for religious groups to be vocal and say out loud what they think as long as they accept that they are only a voice among many others. Religion can definitely be a source of guidance, but so can many other forms of human associations such as Greenpeace, Unicef etc. ...

It's perfectly OK for a president to be Catholic, protestant, Jew or Muslim as long as he or she draws a crystal clear line between personal religious values and the interests of the people and state. I expect a country leader to fully embrace secularism.

Our rules and regulations should NOT be religiously based. They should be based on common sense.

look3467

Council Member
Dec 13, 2006
Northern California
Okay...I'm going to show extreme ignorance here...but what is a protestant? How does this fit into the grand scheme of things? I hear all of the labels or the names...but don't know much about the differences.

Protestant by what I know is protesting against the Catholic church. Protesters they were, and so protestants.
Basically, all non-Catholics are protestants.

Peace>>>AJ

snfu73

disturber of the peace
Protestant by what I know is protesting against the Catholic church. Protesters they were, and so protestants.
Basically, all non-Catholics are protestants.

Peace>>>AJ
Ohhhhh...makes sense. So, everyone from Jehovah's Witnesses to members of the United Church...to members of the Salvation Army...to...I don't know...something else...fall under the general, broad category of protestant?

look3467

Council Member
Dec 13, 2006
Northern California
It's perfectly OK for religious groups to be vocal and say out loud what they think as long as they accept that they are only a voice among many others. Religion can definitely be a source of guidance, but so can many other forms of human associations such as Greenpeace, Unicef etc. ...

It's perfectly OK for a president to be Catholic, protestant, Jew or Muslim as long as he or she draws a crystal clear line between personal religious values and the interests of the people and state. I expect a country leader to fully embrace secularism.

Our rules and regulations should NOT be religiously based. They should be based on common sense.

Good answers s_lone, my goal was to open up a dialog on any religious issue.

Peace>>>AJ

RomSpaceKnight

Council Member
Oct 30, 2006
London, Ont. Canada
Gods are just manifestation of human characteristics. Wether they be good or bad. They are our inventions not visa versa. Rites and holy symbols are there to let us focus on such things as self-transmutation and meditation.

The christian god concept is as far fetched as Wodan and Thor. Crom on his mountain has about as much reality.

Mother Earth and Pan have more reality. You can step outside to see the miracle of life and creation. Nature worship or reverence have more basis in fact.

I sometimes call on the ancient Persian sun god Mithras. He is represented as the bull-slayer. A manifestation of the zodiacal progression as a result of the Earth's wobbly orbit. This was an early attempt to answer the question "Why does the sun seem to rise in a different sign on the spring equinox every 2000 years or so. And that what ever is causing it must be a power far far greater than mundane human stuff.

Last edited:

look3467

Council Member
Dec 13, 2006
Northern California
I don't think one can label a Jew as a protestant under any definition. Nor a Wiccan. Wiccans don't protest any other religions.

Only those who protested against the Catholic church were considered protestant, but that word today is outdated and hardly ever even considered to be mentioned unless it involves a discussion with a catholic Individual.

As for Wiccans, well I would say only if you go against what the Catholic church teaches, you might be labeled a protestant.

Peace>>>AJ

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
but that word today is outdated and hardly ever even considered to be mentioned unless it involves a discussion with a catholic Individual.

Or your in Ireland....

look3467

Council Member
Dec 13, 2006
Northern California
Gods are just manifestation of human characteristics. Wether they be good or bad. They are our inventions not visa versa. Rites and holy symbols are there to let us focus on such things as self-transmutation and meditation.

The christian god concept is as far fetched as Wodan and Thor. Crom on his mountain has about as much reality.

Mother Earth and Pan have more reality. You can step outside to see the miracle of life and creation. Nature worship or reverence have more basis in fact.

I sometimes call on the ancient Persian sun god Mithras. He is represented as the bull-slayer. A manifestation of the zodiacal progression as a result of the Earth's wobbly orbit. This was an early attempt to answer the question "Why does the sun seem to rise in a different sign on the spring equinox every 2000 years or so. And that what ever is causing it must be a power far far greater than mundane human stuff.

Well, RSK, you surely are free to worship whom you please at no protest from me.
But I can say with all honesty of belief, that my God, the Father of Jesus, is above all gods "The" God, and has made provisions for mankind's illusions of all other gods by correcting the issue of eternal separation for us all.

So between you and I, we are both covered, the difference being, I know it as a matter of faith, while you don't.
But at the end, we will both know who the real God is.

Peace>>>AJ