Help please!!!

lysyfacet

Life is good!
Apr 12, 2007
Brampton, ON
Ok in my christian ed class, we are studying marriage and how god plans it out for us, and how he wants certain things for us right.

well i was given the following scripture to study,

Amos 3:3
"Do two walk together
unless they have agreed to do so?"

Can someone tell me what it means, related to marriage and finding a mate please?

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
Maybe the two choose to walk the same path in life when they enter into holy matrimony?

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Ok in my christian ed class, we are studying marriage and how god plans it out for us, and how he wants certain things for us right.

"Do two walk together

Can someone tell me what it means, related to marriage and finding a mate please?

It seems to mean basically, that marriage is choosing to walk life's path together. Father Chris, his screen name is 'sanctus', can probably enlighten you more on it.

hermanntrude

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Jun 23, 2006
Newfoundland!

"Do two walk together

well it seems clear to me that it's saying that no two people will walk alongside each other (in life, or on a path, that's the metaphor) without deciding to do so. And that the decision has to be positive for both participants:

person A wants to walk with person B, but person B doesnt want to: eventually they split
Person B wants to walk with person A, but person A doesnt want to: eventually they split
neither person A nor person B wants to walk with the other: they go their separate ways

the only way the two will stay "on the same path" so to speak, is for them BOTH to decide they want to. Person A and person B must both decide that they want to walk with their counterparts.

Possibly it's suggesting that the agreement IS the marriage, ie if you aren't married you haven't officially agreed to walk together.

I suspect that a christian might compare this to the agreement of walking with Jesus or God.

Reactions: karrie

Jay

Executive Branch Member
Jan 7, 2005

"Do two walk together

Did you read the verses surrounding this one?

lysyfacet

Life is good!
Apr 12, 2007
Brampton, ON
well it seems clear to me that it's saying that no two people will walk alongside each other (in life, or on a path, that's the metaphor) without deciding to do so. And that the decision has to be positive for both participants:

person A wants to walk with person B, but person B doesnt want to: eventually they split
Person B wants to walk with person A, but person A doesnt want to: eventually they split
neither person A nor person B wants to walk with the other: they go their separate ways

the only way the two will stay "on the same path" so to speak, is for them BOTH to decide they want to. Person A and person B must both decide that they want to walk with their counterparts.

Possibly it's suggesting that the agreement IS the marriage, ie if you aren't married you haven't officially agreed to walk together.

I suspect that a christian might compare this to the agreement of walking with Jesus or God.

definitely understanding it much much better after that explanation. I understnad that both A and B have to want to get "married" or as u put it "Officially agreed to walk together" for the relationship or marriage to work out like God intended.
Thank you of ur explanation, i understand this scripture much much better. once again, thank you :)

lysyfacet

Life is good!
Apr 12, 2007
Brampton, ON
Did you read the verses surrounding this one?

my teacher/instructor, purposely didn't give us the "bible" to read the scripture from, because i'm sure she wants us to mainly focus on that one. BUt i asume that when i go read it in the bible itself and the verses around it, the meaning will forsure be alot more vivid then just being given tha tone short verse.

hermanntrude

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Jun 23, 2006
Newfoundland!
I should add that I don't personally have any faith, being a withered old scientist. But the words still hold true, and it's a rather poetic way of putting it too. Thanks for bringing it to my notice.

Jay

Executive Branch Member
Jan 7, 2005
my teacher/instructor, purposely didn't give us the "bible" to read the scripture from, because i'm sure she wants us to mainly focus on that one. BUt i asume that when i go read it in the bible itself and the verses around it, the meaning will forsure be alot more vivid then just being given tha tone short verse.

Well that's what the internet is for I suppose....

It's talking about the relationship between God and the Israelites.

Jay

Executive Branch Member
Jan 7, 2005
Absolutily, and you put it very well when you said "and it's a rather poetic way of putting it too".

lysyfacet

Life is good!
Apr 12, 2007
Brampton, ON
it can easily be applied to any relationship between any two sentient beings. even a dog and his master, for instance.

i dunno if i'd agree with that, but then again i am a christian and i have a strong faith with christ.

and like u mentioned above that u don't then i guess thats ur own opinion. But i wouldn't agree with u on this one.

Altho the internet is a great source for increasing ur own knowledge about christ and god and the good word :)

sanctus

The Padre
Oct 27, 2006
Ontario
www.poetrypoem.com

"Do two walk together

Christian marriage is a partnership. It is a unity, a sacramental and spiritual journey taken together.

In order for a marriage to truly succeed, there must be trust and willingness to be open with one another. The gift we bring to our partner is our own self. It is a gift to be offered openly and willingly Obviously this gift of self must be offered, not forced or taken. Once offered and received, and reciprocated, truth and love, with God's constant blessing, begin to grow and sustain the couple in the marriage.

Last edited:

lysyfacet

Life is good!
Apr 12, 2007
Brampton, ON
Christian marriage is a partnership. It is a unity, a sacramental and spiritual journey taken together.

In order for a marriage to truly succeed, there must be trust and willingness to be open with one another. The gift we bring to our partner is our own self. It is a gift to be offered openly and willingly Obviously this gift of self must be offered, not forced or taken. One offered and received, and reciprocated, truth and love, with God's constant blessing, begin to grow and sustain the couple in the marriage.

very nicely put.

thanks everyone, definitely helped me get some understanding from this verse.