Married priest steps up to altar for Catholics

darleneonfire

Electoral Member
Jan 12, 2007
Ontario

Former Episcopalian uses loophole to continue ministry after conversion

By Brad A. Greenberg

http://www.contracostatimes.com/mld/cctimes/news/state/16929660.htm?source=rss&channel=cctimes_state

CAMARILLO - When Bill Lowe preaches his first sermon as a Catholic priest in May, he will be the only clergyman in the Archdiocese of Los Angeles with his wife, children and grandchildren listening from the pews.
Lowe, 68, is about to become the first married priest in the history of the country's largest Roman Catholic diocese.
"People are ready for this. They are ready for some married clergy," said Lowe, who retired in 2001 after 29 years as an Episcopal priest and converted to Catholicism soon after.
Lowe does not represent a sea change for the centuries-old requirement that priests remain celibate. Instead, he is the benefactor of an obscure order that Pope John Paul II issued in 1980.
That Pastoral Provision has allowed about 80 married men, all former Episcopal priests, to continue utilizing their gift for pastoral ministry after Catholic conversion. Married former Lutheran pastors also have been permitted through a different provision.
"We see it as a gift, his coming to the Catholic Church," said Bishop Thomas Curry, who leads the Santa Barbara Pastoral Region, which includes Ventura County. "He has a lot of experience. He's ministered to a lot of people for a long time, and he's bringing all of that to the Catholic Church."
Growing up in a fundamentalist Baptist home in Pasadena, Lowe decided at 15 that he would become a priest.
"No matter how miserable the day at the parish, I always felt like I was doing what I should be doing," said Lowe, who was known in Massachusetts as the "burying parson" because of his gift for consoling the bereaved.
Rethinking celibacy
As an assistant pastor at Blessed Junipero Serra Catholic Church in Camarillo, Lowe will again be able to use his gifts for comforting and preaching.
Some priests and parishioners, however, hope Lowe brings more than experience -- that his ordination will help fuel the discussion about whether celibacy should be optional, as it was for the church's first 1,000 years.
"This move is not only historic but prophetic," Monsignor Padraic Loftus, pastor of St. Mel Catholic Church in Woodland Hills, wrote in his parish's Feb. 18 bulletin. "Having a married priest in our midst must surely make us pause and reconsider, at this time of rapidly diminishing priests, why this privilege given to this couple could not be more widely granted."
Since 1985 -- for various reasons not limited to celibacy -- the number of active U.S. priests has plummeted from 57,317 to 41,794, according to the Center for Applied Research in the Apostolate at Georgetown University.
One proposed solution, rejected by the Vatican, is to drop the celibacy mandate. After John Paul died two years ago, a CNN/USA Today/Gallup poll found 63 percent of U.S. Catholics thought priests should be able to marry.
Rule to protect land
The biblical basis for celibacy comes from the Gospel of Matthew: "Others have renounced marriage because of the kingdom of heaven. The one who can accept this should accept it."
But in the 12th century, when the Catholic Church adopted a celibacy requirement, it was as much about protecting property as it was committing priestly intimacy to God, said the Rev. Thomas Rausch, a Jesuit professor of theology at Loyola Marymount University.
"The church was worried about church property going to the descendants of priests," he said.
The internal drive against the celibacy requirement dates to at least the Reformation.
Celibacy has caused thousands of priests to leave ministry since the end of the Second Vatican Council 42 years ago, according to Corpus, an organization that pushes for priesthood reform.
"I am a married priest," said Russ Ditzel, the organization's president.
But to marry, Ditzel had to leave ministry in 1978, though he technically remains an ordained priest. Others, he said, have surreptitiously married and remained behind the altar -- "leading a double life."
Although Lowe agrees change is needed, he said he doesn't want to be a cause celebre. He just wants to get back to his calling.
'Where God wants us'
Lowe's journey began in early 2001, after retiring from the 100-family Parish of the Messiah in Newton, Mass.
Lowe and his wife, Linda, began celebrating Mass with friends at various Catholic churches. The liturgical experience was familiar, but he noticed the parish pews overflowing with Catholics, something he had not experienced in the shrinking Episcopal Church.
"I said to Linda, 'This is where it is happening,'" Lowe recalled.
Around Easter of that year, Linda Lowe told her husband that they needed to make the switch official.
"We don't think of it as a conversion because we weren't changing. We were growing into something," said Linda Lowe, 66, who grew up in Glendale and was raised Presbyterian. "We feel very much now that this is where God wants us to be."
About that time, Lowe was finding retirement a bore. So, in 2002, he scheduled a meeting with Cardinal Bernard Law of the Archdiocese of Boston, whose nomination he sought for the Pastoral Provision.
But three days before the meeting, the Boston Globe broke the clergy sex-abuse scandal. That slowed the process for Lowe, as did his family's decision to return to California to care for Linda Lowe's ailing parents.
Pursuit of priesthood
They moved to Camarillo and joined Junipero Serra Church, which is known as Padre Serra Parish. Lowe continued his pursuit of the priesthood, which included reading 50 books in seven theological areas -- including ethics, church history and dogmatic theology -- a daylong psychological exam and an all-day oral exam.
"It was like getting a doctorate," he said.
On Dec. 1, he joined the church staff as a lay employee handling bereavement and counseling. Last month, amid much celebration, Curry ordained him a deacon.
"Everybody was grinning from ear to ear," said Anne Hansen, a two-decade parishioner of Padre Serra.
On May 6, Lowe's five-year pilgrimage from retirement to the priesthood will conclude when he is ordained by Cardinal Roger Mahony.
"It's finally happening," Lowe said, standing in his cramped office at Padre Serra, a Southwestern-style parish adjacent to St. John's Seminary. "It is getting back to work and doing what I love to do.
"Yesterday, for example -- going to a funeral, to a hospital, visiting a baby, writing a sermon. It's getting back to what I love to do."
__._,_.___

gopher

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2005
Minnesota: Gopher State
The Russian Orthodox church is affiliated with the RCC and its priests are allowed to marry. Also, over the years I have read or heard of married ministers who converted to Catholicism and were allowed to enter the clergy.

hermanntrude

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Jun 23, 2006
Newfoundland!
interesting to note that the original motive for celibacy was nothing to do with purity or keeping one's mind on higher things, but protecting the church's property.

mapleleafgirl

Electoral Member
Dec 13, 2006
windsor,ontario
What the heck! What about 2000 years!!! What is this guy think he is doing challenging the church so blatantly! 2000 years! Nothing is supposed to change! I'm presuming parishoners are still allowed to bring their slaves to church?

there has always been married priests, just not in the latin rite.

sanctus

The Padre
Oct 27, 2006
Ontario
www.poetrypoem.com
What does that mean?

There are 22/23 separate "Rites", or if you prefer, jurisdictions in the Church. Each is associated with its own unique Liturgy and customs, and all are under the authority of the Holy See. The largest Rite, or group if you will, is referred to as the Latin Rite. It is this jurisdiction, which argubably is the public face of the Church due to its size, where celibacy is the norm. In the Rite I belong to, for example, the Byzantine Rite, it is the norm for married men to be ordained to the priesthood.

snfu73

disturber of the peace
There are 22/23 separate "Rites", or if you prefer, jurisdictions in the Church. Each is associated with its own unique Liturgy and customs, and all are under the authority of the Holy See. The largest Rite, or group if you will, is referred to as the Latin Rite. It is this jurisdiction, which argubably is the public face of the Church due to its size, where celibacy is the norm. In the Rite I belong to, for example, the Byzantine Rite, it is the norm for married men to be ordained to the priesthood.
Holy geez. That's...complicated. I mean, I guess being part of the church, it isn't as complicated for you as for me...you may have had a few years to figure it out. So, I am presuming that the latin rite is within the vatican? Or would that be wrong? When you say jurisdiction, how is that divided? Geographically? Demographically?

sanctus

The Padre
Oct 27, 2006
Ontario
www.poetrypoem.com
Holy geez. That's...complicated. I mean, I guess being part of the church, it isn't as complicated for you as for me...you may have had a few years to figure it out. So, I am presuming that the latin rite is within the vatican? Or would that be wrong? When you say jurisdiction, how is that divided? Geographically? Demographically?

Well, it is actually called RITE. I used jurisdiction as a poor comparison. A Rite is a particular Liturgy and belongs to those people who worship in that fashion. The main Rite of the Church is entitled the Novus Ordo Missae, and that would be the Catholicism you are probably most familiar with. Each Rite has member Churches around the world. Each Rite follows a particular Liturgy and set systems of discipline particular to its own system of beliefs.

Look at it in another way, a Rite would be comparible to an ethnic group. So, its membership is everywhere around the world. You may have heard, for example, of Ukranian Catholics? This is one of the other Rites of the Church.

I can provide more information if you're interested.