Miss the Little Shrines

AndyF

Electoral Member
Jan 5, 2007
Ont
I recall in my youth that mostly every Catholic house had a little shrine dedicated to the Blessed Mother. These were either corner shelves with the bust of Mary or her statue, and draped under these was a fine embroidered cloth, and on either side an indigo blue candle holder. Some would have a small table and a kneeler. The room for these items were usually well chosen for quietness and away from the hussle of family life.

I recall I loved to just sit there in the quiet when the whole room would be blue from the candle lite. I remember my mother saying the Rosary often in front of ours.

You don't see many these days. These items are a rareity in North America except in Mexico and other Latin countries where these are common. I think I'm going to put one up myself in a quiet room as a place of contemplation. I think it would be fun looking for the items, and best of all my grandkids would surely start asking questions........ Yesssss. :sign7:

AndyF

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Even if you're not a religious person, a sanctuary, a corner of your home which houses objects that help center and focus you, is always a good idea. Best of luck Andy. Post us a pic when you're done.

sanctus

The Padre
Oct 27, 2006
Ontario
www.poetrypoem.com
I recall in my youth that mostly every Catholic house had a little shrine dedicated to the Blessed Mother. These were either corner shelves with the bust of Mary or her statue, and draped under these was a fine embroidered cloth, and on either side an indigo blue candle holder. Some would have a small table and a kneeler. The room for these items were usually well chosen for quietness and away from the hussle of family life.

I recall I loved to just sit there in the quiet when the whole room would be blue from the candle lite. I remember my mother saying the Rosary often in front of ours.

You don't see many these days. These items are a rareity in North America except in Mexico and other Latin countries where these are common. I think I'm going to put one up myself in a quiet room as a place of contemplation. I think it would be fun looking for the items, and best of all my grandkids would surely start asking questions........ Yesssss. :sign7:

AndyF

Rare for native born Canadians, but not amongst our immigrant population. I have been in many filipino homes, for example, where the shrine to our Mother is most present.

In fact, I was with a family for dinner last night who not only had fresh cut flowers in front of their Mary statue, the hostess actually prepared a small plate of food which she also placed before the shrine.
I found this odd, but they explained that it represented how thankful they were for the food god provided them.

tamarin

House Member
Jun 12, 2006
Oshawa ON
I live in one of the most devout Catholic areas of the province of Ontario. Small shrines are common and small sheltered outdoor shrines easily found.

AndyF

Electoral Member
Jan 5, 2007
Ont
I live in one of the most devout Catholic areas of the province of Ontario. Small shrines are common and small sheltered outdoor shrines easily found.

Well, I guess I stand corrected! :toothy3:

Thinking things over now, I would be wager one can find many in eastern Quebec has well.

I have an animated "Way of the Cross" device that hangs on the wall. It is a scroll like device that shows a picture of a station of the cross in a window as you turn a dowel. Above that there's a crucifix with Mary and John at the foot. It dates to 1905. I reconditioned it back in the 70's and it looks great.

AndyF

AndyF

Electoral Member
Jan 5, 2007
Ont
We have one in Taunton I think.....its called La Solette Mom took us once a month it was peaceful.

You need to visit the Grotte of Our Lady in Ottawa when you visit. It is a rock embankment that has an inset statue of our Lady in the stone. There is a relic of Fatima as well cemented in the wall so people can touch it. There is also a recessed section for mass to be said as well. All around are park benches and a path with the stations of the cross leads up a hill to the crucifixion. On the left side is a covered area for votive candles.

The Grotte is situated in a residential park neighbourhood, and on two sides a link fence surrounds it, but on the other sides it entirely open to everyone. Kids peddle their trikes and moms pass with their strollers. Occasionally a homeless person will be found asleep in a pew under the shade, and 4 or 5 people will be saying the rosary.You hardly hear of any vandalism and the neighbourhood has seemed to adopt it has their own even though it belongs to a parish, and their are all ethnic groups and religions in this neighbourhood.

It has it's share of resident devout grey squirrels who will come out of the old trees between the pews who's job it is to supervise you when your praying, just in case your not concentrating enough I guess. They are a real chuckle to watch.

A beautiful place in the summer.

AndyF

selfactivated

Time Out
Apr 11, 2006
Richmond, Virginia
You need to visit the Grotte of Our Lady in Ottawa when you visit. It is a rock embankment that has an inset statue of our Lady in the stone. There is a relic of Fatima as well cemented in the wall so people can touch it. There is also a recessed section for mass to be said as well. All around are park benches and a path with the stations of the cross leads up a hill to the crucifixion.

The Grotte is situated in a residential park neighbourhood, and on two sides a link fence surrounds it, but on the other sides it entirely open to everyone. Kids peddle their trikes and moms pass with their strollers. Occasionally a homeless person will be found asleep in a pew under the shade, and 4 or 5 people will be saying the rosary.You hardly hear of any vandalism and the neighbourhood has seemed to adopt it has their own even though it belongs to a parish, and their are all ethnic groups and religions in this neighbourhood.

It has it's share of resident devout grey squirrels who will come out of the old trees between the pews who's job it is to supervise you when your praying, just in case your not concentrating enough I guess. They are a real chuckle to watch.

A beautiful place in the summer.

AndyF

Thank You I'll keep that in mind :)