Wyoming Priest Denies Communion to Lesbian Activist Couple “Married” in Canada

m_levesque

Electoral Member
Dec 18, 2006
Montreal, Quebec
[FONT=Arial,Verdana,Helvetica,Sans-Serif] [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Verdana,Helvetica,Sans-Serif][/FONT]
By Peter J. Smith

GILLETTE, Wyoming, March 12, 2007 (LifeSiteNews.com) – An activist lesbian couple “married” in Canada may no longer receive Holy Communion in the Catholic Church, after having been told by their pastor that their homosexual behavior and advocacy of same-sex unions prevent them from being Catholics in good standing.

The News-Record, a Gillette newspaper, reports that Rev. Cliff Jacobson, pastor of St. Mathew’s Catholic Church, informed Leah Vader and Lynne Huskinson by letter that “because of your union and your public advocacy of same-sex unions, that you are unable to receive communion.”

Rev. Jacobson told the News-Record that Vader and Huskinson’s public advocacy of same-sex “marriage” created a public scandal mandating the church to take action with support from the Cheyenne Diocese. Vader and Huskinson, who attended St. Matthew’s since 1998 and later were “married” in Canada, wrote a number of newspaper articles advocating same-sex “marriage” and vociferously opposed a marriage bill that would prevent Wyoming from recognizing same-sex “marriages” from other states, such as their own.

“We’re not the bedroom police,” said Rev. Jacobson. “That ultimately comes between the person and God, but it puts it in a much different light with a public nature.”

“It’s the idea of scandal, we profess our faith and belief as Catholics on one level, and practice something else at a public level.”

The letter shocked Vader, who described herself as having “grown up” in the Catholic Church, attended Catholic school, and received Holy Communion every week until forbidden by Rev. Jacobson’s March 1 letter.

“This is the one food we all need,” Vader told the News-Record. “Of all the sacraments, it’s the one that should be taken frequently.”

“It’s surprising that it’s so specific and personal and being done through this letter,” Vader remarked, adding that the Church’s action “sends a big fat message to gay people.”

However, reception of Holy Communion is not an unrestricted right in the Church, and the confusion created by the lesbian couple’s self-proclaimed behavior required Rev. Jacobson to enforce canon law 915: “Those [...] who obstinately persist in manifest grave sin are not to be admitted to Holy Communion.”

According to the Catholic Church, same-sex “marriage” is impossible, because Divine law decrees marriage to be a permanent exclusive union of a man and a woman for their mutual assistance and the procreation of children. The Church also teaches homosexual acts are intrinsically disordered and contravene God’s plan for human sexuality in marriage.

tamarin

House Member
Jun 12, 2006
Oshawa ON
I assume molesters once they recant their obsession receive communion. I assume the gay couple in hand would likewise be received. Will they.. or will they simply seek a church that supports their views? Lots of affiliations around.

snfu73

disturber of the peace
I assume molesters once they recant their obsession receive communion. I assume the gay couple in hand would likewise be received. Will they.. or will they simply seek a church that supports their views? Lots of affiliations around.
But it's pretty scary that an organization exists that would toss out people because they wanted to commit to one eachother...two people who are in love. It's too bad so much focus is put on the genders involved, and not enough on the love that is involved.

tamarin

House Member
Jun 12, 2006
Oshawa ON
Reminds me of all the girls who wanted to join boy scout troops at the zenith of feminist hysteria. Should an organization bend to the whims of those who obviously - for whatever reason - don't belong?

selfactivated

Time Out
Apr 11, 2006
Richmond, Virginia
Reminds me of all the girls who wanted to join boy scout troops at the zenith of feminist hysteria. Should an organization bend to the whims of those who obviously - for whatever reason - don't belong?

I would hope that church is the one place thats all inclusive...........God made ya all.........Goddess made me, I shine ;) But EVERYONE is welcome at my Circle too. Ive had catholics, bible thumpers, heathers athiests alike.

tamarin

House Member
Jun 12, 2006
Oshawa ON
Sniff, girls can join Guides.

Self, it is great to be inclusive but organizations should be able to set their own standards of admission. And there are all sorts of churches available. I wouldn't expect a Jewish congregation to welcome me if I insisted on reading from the New Testament. Or a mosque to accept me if I demanded I be able to stand during prayers.
The couple will find a church that's responsive to their needs.

snfu73

disturber of the peace

Self, it is great to be inclusive but organizations should be able to set their own standards of admission. And there are all sorts of churches available. I wouldn't expect a Jewish congregation to welcome me if I insisted on reading from the New Testament. Or a mosque to accept me if I demanded I be able to stand during prayers.
But...WAIT...the catholic church says it is the ONLY true religion....so, to be cast off by them....well...what's the POINT of going to another religion? No other religion is real!

So, what if it were a black couple involved? Would it still be okay for the church to cast them out if they stumbled upon a passage in the bible that was interpreted to mean that black couples weren't welcome in the catholic church? Should society accept that sort of discrimination?

selfactivated

Time Out
Apr 11, 2006
Richmond, Virginia

Well, in my faith I except everyone. I guess Im more........tolerant

snfu73

disturber of the peace

Sure...guides...yes...gotta keep those boys and girls seperated...teach the girls about sewing and other good girl stuff...while the boys build fires and tent. Yes indeed, gotta keep the genders in line...gotta keep them intrenched in their narrow roles!

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss

My kids are both in scouts. My son and my daughter.

Dezzarai

Mar 16, 2007
hi I'm new here:wave: and i was just looking through the site when this caught my eye. I personally think that the church has the right to deny communion to anyone they want. If I was gay and the church beleived homosexuality to be wrong or evil, I wouldn't be in that church! I would make my own church, possibly based on catholocism, but allowing homosexuality. Wouldn't it be easier to pray by yourselves at home than to do it with people who beleived you to be evil?

selfactivated

Time Out
Apr 11, 2006
Richmond, Virginia
hi I'm new here:wave: and i was just looking through the site when this caught my eye. I personally think that the church has the right to deny communion to anyone they want. If I was gay and the church beleived homosexuality to be wrong or evil, I wouldn't be in that church! I would make my own church, possibly based on catholocism, but allowing homosexuality. Wouldn't it be easier to pray by yourselves at home than to do it with people who beleived you to be evil?

Hail and welcome :)

Since your new I'll be gentle ;) Both those women have been brought up in the church and it was stated that the ONLY reason they are being denied is that the are activists......if the werent vocal the church would allow , as they had all their lives , to accept the ucherist. Now in my Pagan book thats called hypocracy.....and if I remember my CCD days , christ turned over a temple for hypocrites :)

Blessed Be
Welcome to the neighborhood.