Copyrights and Getting Out the Word

AndyF

Electoral Member
Jan 5, 2007
Ont
I find it amusing at times, and sometimes irritating, when I've finished writing a long elucubration using reference material only to find a copyright stairing at me in the face.

I know God may inspire some people to get the message out through private revelation and the keyboard and pen, and I realize the authors need to eat, but there must be someway to quickly get the royalty roadblock out of the way so the word can be dispersed quickly. One would think church material would be free from these technicalities given their mandate, ,,,Huhhh,Huhhh. My New American Bible has after the first few pages with pictures of the Pope, you guessed it, a nice copyright notice. What about the common practice of publishing papal bulls in entirety either on the web or in the media? Is the person going to get sued?

I see some extremely brilliant inspiring work being done only to see a copyright notice. Then I question motive and it turns me off.

I was searching for an avatar one day, when I came across a religious site that had many thumbnail pics of the Blessed Virgin. I quickly scanned the site for copyrights, ...none, but a simple note saying that I could use the material for my own use. Eureka!. I picked a very nice thumbnail and posted it proudly on the site. Low and behold a member says, "You picked my portrait!!!".

Some of the most beautiful pictures that I've seen, and I mean competing with the masters, are on the little communion cards they used to give to the kids years ago. I collect them now as they are very rare I find. I have some with lace trim dating to the 30's, some names on them of people's ancestors I recognize. They usually say something like "Aunt Audry, first communion, Apr 1932" . But suppose if I were to copy one and have it enlarged, or for some other reason, then I'd need to be concerned. If it were my work being published, I'd be honoured that someone would want to spread it around. In fact I probably couldn't write a religious work and expect to get paid for it. I may ask for donations, but thats all. (OK, you guys don't forget to send me a quarter if you read this post!!!!):book:

I understand about getting permission and copying a portion only with forward referencing, etc, but in a religious context it seems out of place. Copyrights unintentionally select the audience. The one who can afford to pay for the book gets the Word first, then bits and pieces get dispersed, and finally, the poor fifteen years later getting inspired when he finds the material on a flea market table for 25cents. Not that I disregard copyrights and I do respect the laws as much as I am able, but the priorities of communications seem to have changed since ancient days.

Am I making too much of this? Maybe there is a better way of getting payment out of the way as quickly as possible?

AndyF

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
You forgot to add the Copyright at the bottom of your post. lol

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
You make a good point, there is something odd about announcing a copyright on a piece that is meant to spread the word of God. No matter what in this world it always come down to putting food on the table.