Claiming Responsibility

sanctus

The Padre
Oct 27, 2006
Ontario
www.poetrypoem.com

READ: Isaiah 53:1-10
He was wounded for our transgressions, He was bruised for our iniquities. —Isaiah 53:5

As images of burning rubble and frantic people flash on the TV screen, a reporter says, "A terrorist organization has claimed responsibility for last night's bombing that left 23 dead and scores injured." It was not a random act of violence but one that was calculated to frighten people and advance the agenda of those who stepped forward to say, "We did it."

In stark contrast, one of history's most brutal acts was intended to bring peace and healing, not fear. In addition, God claimed responsibility in the prophecy of Isaiah, seven centuries before it happened. The prophet foretold the death of the Messiah in these words: "He was wounded for our transgressions, He was bruised for our iniquities; the chastisement for our peace was upon Him, and by His stripes we are healed. . . . Yet it pleased the Lord to bruise Him; He has put Him to grief" (Isa. 53:5,10).
Just before Jesus Christ was crucified, He said, "No one takes [My life] from Me, but I lay it down of Myself. . . . This command I have received from My Father" (John 10:18). Jesus died willingly for our sin so that we might live through faith in Him.
God claimed responsibility for the death of His Son, allowing anyone to claim His gift of forgiveness. —David C. McCasland
When Jesus died upon the cross
He took our sin and shame;
He offers us His righteousness,
A gift that we must claim. —Sper

The search for forgiveness ends when we find Christ.