Catholic End Time Prophecy

sanctus
#1
"Woe to them that desire the day of the Lord:
to what end is it for you?
the day of the Lord is darkness, and not light." Amos 5:18

--
Many televangelists and fundamentalists sects are voicing a cry that the end is near and they expect the return of Jesus Christ. In spite their dire warnings, the year 2000 has come and gone without mishap, so they will have to revise their predictions. The Catholic traditions have a somewhat different view of End Time prophecies.
A Summary of specific Catholic teachings on the End times
These are the teachings of the Catholic Church on the End Times that must be believed by all the Faithful.
-The Resurrection of the Dead. The teachings of the Catholic Church teach the actual resurrection of all flesh in their own bodies (including the damned), not merely a spiritual resurrection. This teaching is affirmed in both the Nicene Creed and the Apostles Creed.
-The General Judgement. After the resurrection of all flesh, there will follow the universal judgement. Christ will sit upon the throne of judgement and render to each man according to his works (Matthew 16:27).
-The Destruction of the World. The world will be destroyed at the command of Our Divine Lord Jesus Christ. The fulfillment of this prophecy will be supernatural and not as a result of atomic wars, or geological or astronomical disturbances.
-The Reign of the Church Victorious. The faithful of the Church will live and reign with Christ forever. The devils and evil men will be damned forever without reprieve.
Errors in Interpreting End-Time Prophecy
Over the history of the Church, some errors have sprung up concerning the End Times.
Millenarianism
The teaching of millenarianism, that Christ before the Final Judgement will come visibly to rule over this world, is a serious error condemned by Pius XII. Indeed, the teaching of millenarianism is the very thing the Antichrist will need to set up his rule over the world.
Setting Dates
A common error is to try to set actual dates on the Second coming. The Sacred Scriptures point out this error: But of that day or hour no man knoweth, neither the angels in heaven, nor the Son, but the Father. (Mark 13:32).
However, in 1832 Pope Gregory XVI did indicate that the time of the "plague of locusts (Revelation 9:3)" had arrived in his Encyclical "Mirari vos arbitramur."
The "Rapture"
A popular belief of the 20th Century among Bible fundamentalists is the concept of a taking up of the true Christians before the coming of the Antichrist. Their scriptural support for this theory largely vague and symbolic, and based on the assumption that the rapture theory is true.
They cite I Thessalonians 4:16 as the basis for this claim. However, the verse before, I Thessalonians 4:15, clearly shows that the dead in Christ rise first. This same event, the first ressurection, occurs after the return of Our Divine Lord Jesus Christ and the defeat of the Antichrist. In fact, those that rule and reign with Christ a thousand years are those that are martyred during the reign of the Antichrist. (Revelations 20:4-6)
The Rebuilding of the Temple
In this day we find many sects and denominations looking for the re-building of a temple in Jerusalem with great anticipation. Why any Christian would welcome such a thing is beyond me. If animals are again sacrificed in a temple in Jerusalem, would not the blood of every calf, lamb or goat sacrificed be a denial of the perfect sacrifice of Jesus Christ upon the cross? (Hebrews 10:10) Is not the denial of the perfect sacrifice of Jesus the very spirit of the antichrist?
In Matthew 24:2, Jesus prophesies about the destruction of the temple and Jerusalem. Jesus says nothing about the rebuilding of the Temple in Jerusalem. It is true that Jesus said, "Destroy this temple, and in three days I will raise it up." (John 2:19) However, Jesus was speaking of His Body, which is the Temple of the Holy Ghost. (John 2:21)
The prophesy of the destruction of the Temple came about in 70 AD with the siege of Vespasian. There were a few stones left of the foundation left. Later, Emperor Julian the Apostate attempted to discredit the prophesy of Our Divine Lord Jesus Christ by ordering the rebuilding of the Temple in Jerusalem. Jews from all over the Roman Empire supported the task with great zeal and huge amounts of gold and silver. The task was accompanied by great scorn for the Christians in the empire, who believed that the Temple was not to be rebuilt. In order to provide a foundation for the "new temple" the final stones left of the old foundation were cleared away, completing the prophecy of Jesus.
As they began the re-building, earthquakes broke out all over the temple mount, halting the effort. When the earthquakes subsided, they attempted to begin again. As they approached the foundations, balls of blue fire exploded from the ground burning many of the workmen. Finally the effort was abandoned without laying a single stone of the new temple.
How to Interpret End Time Prophecy
The Sacred Scriptures and Church teachings hold the primacy of place in what we are to understand about the end times. Moreover, the writings of the early Fathers (Patristic) and the Saints have much to say about the end times also. The Church does not censure the study of these private revelations, in so long as the prophecy comes from a virtuous source. In fact, it is even considered acceptable to study the writings of Nostradamus, who was a Catholic Scholar. However, the Church teaches us to approach any end-time prophecy with a critical eye. Here are some guidelines to follow in the study of end-time prophets.
The study should edify the soul
Studying end time prophets should draw us closer to God, not away from Him. It should not bring on a morbid preoccupation of the end times, to the exclusion of Christian charity and duties. It should not lead you to wish for the damnation of others or to hasten destruction of the world, etc. (Amos 5:1
The study should not lead to errors of the faith
The study of end time prophecies should not lead you into beliefs contrary to the teaching of the Holy Church. You should be suspicious of any revelation that purports or promotes dogmatic errors. (Deuteronomy 13:1-3)
A Generally Accepted Sequence of Events
The following is a summary of the sequence of end-time events based on the Scriptures, the writings of the early Church Fathers, the Saints and noted Catholic scholars.
-The threat from the kings of the east.
-A pope makes a special decree and is driven from Rome. He dies a terrible death.
-A new Pope is elected outside of Rome.He crowns a Christian king. This King defends the west from the kings of the east.
-Three days of darkness and the great chastisement (associated with a comet).
-The Christian king is victorous over the east, and a period of peace and evangelization occurs.
-The people do not appreciate the grace of the peace, and after a time, the Antichrist rises to power out of Babylon.
-The Antichrist rules for three and a half years. The two witnesses preach against him.
-The Antichrist kills the two witnesses. They rise from the dead on the third day, and are taken into heaven.
-Forty days later, The Antichrist tries to rise up to heaven by magic. He is struck from the heavens.
-Christ returns to the earth, appearing in the heavens.
-The dead Christians rise from the grave and are taken into a new heaven and a new earth.
-The Christians yet living are taken up to a new heaven and a new earth. As the "Rapture" fans can see the Catholic scholars are very post-tribulation.
-Christ destroys the old heaven and earth.
 
s_lone
#2
What about the extra-terrestrials? Where do they fit in all this?...

Will it be the end of humanity or the end of the universe?
 
El Barto
#3
If this is anyway true , then let it happen fast as I can't stand these god damn religious nuts
 
Spade
#4
Good Lord! The simple Christian message (and of other major religions) of peace and brotherhood is no longer recognizable!
 
Spade
#5
Boy! Woden, Thor, Tyr, and Freyja are looking better every day! The end times according to Norse mythology makes more sense!
Ragnarök - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (external - login to view)
Last edited by Spade; Apr 13th, 2009 at 11:03 PM..
 
coldstream
#6
The most famous of all the non Biblical Catholic prophetic texts was St. Malachy's prophesy of the apostolic succession, attributed to the Saint, but never given credence by the Church, and discovered in the Vatican archives in 1590, some 400 years after his death.

It is a consecutive list of Popes, that some say is an accurate, although somewhat symbolic description of the last 112 Popes of the Church. This accuracy is based largely on 'reading in' actual events into those descriptions, which are largely arbitrary and for which many outcomes could have applied.

Still, if you buy it all, and by one count, Pope Benedict is the 267th (265th by other counts, there is some discrepency with the Avignon popes) Pope of a line that will end with the 268th Pope. He will be a converted Jew, who will take the name Peter 2, or Peter the Roman, and will signal the beginning of the End of Days, the Apocalypse.

St Malachy's Prophecy of the Popes | Catholic-Pages.com (external - login to view)
Last edited by coldstream; Apr 13th, 2009 at 11:34 PM..
 
lone wolf
#7
Doesn't it mean the end of the papal world?
 
coldstream
#8
No, it mean the end to the world.. as we know it, period. Catholics don't make any allowance for other heretical views of a universal Truth.
 
coldstream
#9
That is if its True. The Church has not accepted the veracity of the document.
 
Cliffy
#10
The end of the world - as we know it does not necessarily mean it will be destroyed. It will, in my humble opinion, be reveled to be different from what the church has created in our minds with their horror stories for the past 2000 years. The veil of lies will be lifted and the true nature of our reality exposed. The church will be laid naked for the abomination that it is the Scarlet W.H.O.R.E of Revelations. That should give the evangelists a hard on and former catholics reason to rejoice.
Put that in your pipe and smoke it!
 
Dexter Sinister
#11
There's no good reason to think any religiously derived view of the future has anything to do with reality. Give me one, just one, example of a specifically stated, religiously derived prophecy that has ever come true. Not even god or Jesus could do it, according to biblical accounts. God told Adam that on the day he ate of the tree of knowledge he would die, but he didn't, god was wrong. Jesus said that there were people in the crowd he was addressing who would live to witness his return and the coming of the kingdom of god. That didn't happen either, unless you're prepared to argue that there's some 2000 year old character still waiting for it. It's all BS. The Bible, the Torah, the Quran, the Book of Mormon, are all mythology.
 
Spade
#12
Quote: Originally Posted by Dexter SinisterView Post

There's no good reason to think any religiously derived view of the future has anything to do with reality. Give me one, just one, example of a specifically stated, religiously derived prophecy that has ever come true. Not even god or Jesus could do it, according to biblical accounts. God told Adam that on the day he ate of the tree of knowledge he would die, but he didn't, god was wrong. Jesus said that there were people in the crowd he was addressing who would live to witness his return and the coming of the kingdom of god. That didn't happen either, unless you're prepared to argue that there's some 2000 year old character still waiting for it. It's all BS. The Bible, the Torah, the Quran, the Book of Mormon, are all mythology.

Mythology? Of course!
 
El Barto
#13
Quote: Originally Posted by Dexter SinisterView Post

There's no good reason to think any religiously derived view of the future has anything to do with reality. Give me one, just one, example of a specifically stated, religiously derived prophecy that has ever come true. Not even god or Jesus could do it, according to biblical accounts. God told Adam that on the day he ate of the tree of knowledge he would die, but he didn't, god was wrong. Jesus said that there were people in the crowd he was addressing who would live to witness his return and the coming of the kingdom of god. That didn't happen either, unless you're prepared to argue that there's some 2000 year old character still waiting for it. It's all BS. The Bible, the Torah, the Quran, the Book of Mormon, are all mythology.

Maybe he knew he wasn't going to die on the cross and would show up a few days later
 
El Barto
#14
When I first posted here I was post number 4 , wheres the religious nut that posted before me?
 
Ron in Regina
#15
Quote: Originally Posted by El BartoView Post

When I first posted here I was post number 4 , wheres the religious nut that posted before me?


That post that "was" before you...posted Religious SPAM. We dealt
with that and now that post (& the person that posted it) is gone.
 
El Barto
#16
Quote: Originally Posted by Ron in ReginaView Post

That post that "was" before you...posted Religious SPAM. We dealt
with that and now that post (& the person that posted it) is gone.

ahh the perverbial jehovas whittness eh?
 
Ron in Regina
#17
Quote: Originally Posted by El BartoView Post

ahh the perverbial jehovas whittness eh?


Didn't even take the time to read it though. Someone reported it. We
checked quickly. Yep, it was SPAM so out the door it went.
 
El Barto
#18
Quote: Originally Posted by Ron in ReginaView Post

Didn't even take the time to read it though. Someone reported it. We
checked quickly. Yep, it was SPAM so out the door it went.

Wish I could do this in real life.
 
coldstream
#19
Quote: Originally Posted by CliffyView Post

The end of the world - as we know it does not necessarily mean it will be destroyed. It will, in my humble opinion, be reveled to be different from what the church has created in our minds with their horror stories for the past 2000 years. The veil of lies will be lifted and the true nature of our reality exposed. The church will be laid naked for the abomination that it is the Scarlet W.H.O.R.E of Revelations. That should give the evangelists a hard on and former catholics reason to rejoice.
Put that in your pipe and smoke it!

Certainly a statement worthy of John Hagee, the American tv evangelist who casts the Roman Church as the seat of the Antichrist of the Apocalypse.

I'm reminded of the the Rolling Stones song, Sympathy for the Devil.. "what's confusing you is the nature of my game". I'd say choose your allies carefully, because one side is full of deceit and false promises.
 
coldstream
#20
In fact i might paraphrase Kaiser Souzee from the film 'The Usual Suspects' - "The greates trick the Devil ever played was convincing everyone that he didn't exist"
 
Free your mind
#21
My point of view on the Catholic Church is too obscene for me to mention, as for their
End Time Prophecy.

give me a break what next alien contact, the catholic church is as out dated as it is OUT OF TOUCH with "god" as well as its "ppl ".
 
captain morgan
#22
Quote: Originally Posted by Dexter SinisterView Post

Give me one, just one, example of a specifically stated, religiously derived prophecy that has ever come true. Not even god or Jesus could do it, according to biblical accounts. God told Adam that on the day he ate of the tree of knowledge he would die, but he didn't, god was wrong.


I think that you'll find that Adam was threatened with expulsion from Eden if he ate from the tree, as opposed to death.

... But i do get a kick out of the notion that you question the factual basis of religion and yet point to it in a factual matter in order to prove your point(s).
 
Dexter Sinister
#23
Quote: Originally Posted by captain morganView Post

I think that you'll find that Adam was threatened with expulsion from Eden if he ate from the tree, as opposed to death.

I think you'll find that you're wrong if you actually read the book.

Genesis 2:17: But of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil, thou shalt not eat of it: for in the day that thou eatest thereof thou shalt surely die."
Quote:

... But i do get a kick out of the notion that you question the factual basis of religion and yet point to it in a factual matter in order to prove your point(s).

That's nice, I'm glad you're amused, but maybe you should learn to think a little more deeply before writing specious remarks like that. What, for instance, are the implications of such glaring inconsistencies in the text?
 
lone wolf
#24
Quote: Originally Posted by Free your mindView Post

My point of view on the Catholic Church is too obscene for me to mention, as for their
End Time Prophecy.

give me a break what next alien contact, the catholic church is as out dated as it is OUT OF TOUCH with "god" as well as its "ppl ".

Hmmm.... Your POV ... or the Church?.... Why do you mention it then?
 
captain morgan
#25
Quote: Originally Posted by Dexter SinisterView Post

I think you'll find that you're wrong if you actually read the book.

Genesis 2:17: But of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil, thou shalt not eat of it: for in the day that thou eatest thereof thou shalt surely die."


... And in that book, there is no mention of being smitten on the spot, is there?.. Just the statement that they were expelled... For that matter, they did die, just not immediately struck down as you want to imagine.


This is what happens when there is overt selectivity in relying on statements that only support a narrow view.



Quote: Originally Posted by Dexter SinisterView Post

That's nice, I'm glad you're amused, but maybe you should learn to think a little more deeply before writing specious remarks like that. What, for instance, are the implications of such glaring inconsistencies in the text?

I do find it immensely amusing. Many posters that are in rabid opposition to religion spend so much time and energy on the issue that it really makes me wonder if the aforementioned are more upset that they might actually believe in the religion that they deride so much, the only option is to work tirelessly to convince themselves why they shouldn't.
 
Tonington
#26
You're presuming that it actually takes much time and effort. I find that highly amusing.
 
Dexter Sinister
#27
Quote: Originally Posted by captain morganView Post

This is what happens when there is overt selectivity in relying on statements that only support a narrow view.

A narrow view? Genesis 2:17 is pretty specific: it says you will die *on the day* you eat of this tree. You're just trying to pretend you weren't wrong in your initial criticism. You were.

As for the rest of your post, do you really think people argue against something because they're afraid it might be true? That's certainly one of the shallower and sillier ideas I've heard recently. I argue against religion because I think it's false, and often dangerous. As I posted elsewhere recently, paraphrasing Christopher Hitchens, its scriptures are myths and fables, it has always been an enemy of science and free inquiry, it has subsisted on lies and fear, and been the willing accomplice of ignorance, guilt, slavery, genocide, racism, sexism, and tyranny. There was a time when religion ruled. It was called the Dark Ages.

And as Tonington observed, arguing against religion doesn't really take much time or effort. There are so many holes in religion's claims that all you need is a little knowledge and some critical thinking skills, the rest is easy. What's hard is defending it rationally. Look, for instance, at the kind of elaborate and laborious analyses and circumlocutions the biblical literalists do to try to make the Bible appear internally consistent. You even tried a little bit of it yourself, trying to argue that Genesis 2:17 doesn't mean what it plainly says.
 
Cliffy
#28
Quote: Originally Posted by coldstreamView Post

Certainly a statement worthy of John Hagee, the American tv evangelist who casts the Roman Church as the seat of the Antichrist of the Apocalypse.

I'm reminded of the the Rolling Stones song, Sympathy for the Devil.. "what's confusing you is the nature of my game". I'd say choose your allies carefully, because one side is full of deceit and false promises.

Well, you can take solace in the fact that the evangelists will be in the same place as the catholics - nowhere. Neither that war god of the desert or his alter ego, satan, exist and the belief in them lead to a wasted life. But, Hey! If it gives your life meaning - buy all means, waste away.
 
captain morgan
#29
Quote: Originally Posted by Dexter SinisterView Post

A narrow view? Genesis 2:17 is pretty specific: it says you will die *on the day* you eat of this tree. You're just trying to pretend you weren't wrong in your initial criticism. You were.


You'll die 'on the day', will ya?.. Is that how you interpret your initial quotation from the bible that stated that "you shall surely die".

So, which is it to be?


Quote: Originally Posted by Dexter SinisterView Post

As for the rest of your post, do you really think people argue against something because they're afraid it might be true? That's certainly one of the shallower and sillier ideas I've heard recently. I argue against religion because I think it's false, and often dangerous.

I think that the people that arguing this point qualify - those that expend so much time and effort do so more to convince themselves than to prove any point at all.... You for example, employ your own contemporary interpretation of an age old document and pretend that this is the spirit and true intent of the document when it was actually written.

As to the baseless response that 'religion is dangerous', perhaps you can measure that danger relative to the damage, loss and abuses that have resulted from a-religious sources. Lenin, Stalin, Mao and Pol Pot have amassed a death toll that easily eclipses all of the combined theological motivations over the ages.

In the end, I don't care one way or the other.


Quote: Originally Posted by Dexter SinisterView Post

As I posted elsewhere recently, paraphrasing Christopher Hitchens, its scriptures are myths and fables, it has always been an enemy of science and free inquiry, it has subsisted on lies and fear, and been the willing accomplice of ignorance, guilt, slavery, genocide, racism, sexism, and tyranny. There was a time when religion ruled. It was called the Dark Ages.


Ever hear that science is the new religion?

Re: lies, far, guilt, genocide (particularly), et al., the entire process has been expedited and stream-lined to the best possible efficiencies directly due to science... I suppose that we now must be enlightened.


Quote: Originally Posted by Dexter SinisterView Post

And as Tonington observed, arguing against religion doesn't really take much time or effort.

Then why do you waste even a single minute of your life dealing with this? The fact that you've posted multiple times in response to others' opposing views suggests that arguing against religion doesn't take much effort, but arguing effectively presumably does require much effort.
 
MHz
#30
Quote: Originally Posted by Dexter SinisterView Post

A narrow view? Genesis 2:17 is pretty specific: it says you will die *on the day* you eat of this tree. You're just trying to pretend you weren't wrong in your initial criticism. You were.

Prove Adam wasn't outside Eden by the end of that day. Scripture doesn't record any events between the eating and God
Kind of hard to give Eve pain in child-birthing if Adam died that very day. Adam was born immortal, his sin took that away, from that moment on he was headed for the grave.

Now just about any verse from Moses on that has 'that day' means just that.

Not one post that confirms or challenges all those proposals in the OP. Some definitely are going to mess up some people even more LOL
 

Similar Threads

81
Is the Queen Catholic?
by Spade | Dec 2nd, 2009
1
St. Malachy's Prophecy - Hal Lindsey
by herald | Jun 18th, 2009
2
Marijuana and Prophecy
by BudBuddy | Feb 3rd, 2005
no new posts