Does Life has purpose?

china

Time Out
Jul 30, 2006
Ottawa ,Canada
Does life having meaning, a purpose? Is not living in itself its own purpose? Why do we want more? . . . Our difficulty is that, since our life is empty, we want to find a purpose to life and strive for it. Such a purpose of life can only be mere intellection, without any reality; when the purpose of life is pursued by a stupid, dull mind, by an empty heart, that purpose will also be empty. This question about the purpose of life is put by those who do not love. JK

hermanntrude

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Jun 23, 2006
Newfoundland!
i agree with dexter. I think life has no meaning except that which we put into it. If you love someone then a lot of the meaning in your life is about that person. If you love life then life is its own purpose. If you love porpoises then porpoises are your purpose. If you love purple porpoises then your purpose is purple porpoises.

china

Time Out
Jul 30, 2006
Ottawa ,Canada
DEXTER Sinster :
Does life have purpose? In itself, no. We make our own purpose--------------------------------------------------

The way I understand your reply is that life in it,s self doesn,t have any purpose ( I will not try to convince you that there is purpose for everything and everything has a purpose in it's self ,everything seen and unseen , you are to smart for that ) therfore you make your own purposes for living wheather you are dead or alive.....? wow....only in Canada .

Last edited:

china

Time Out
Jul 30, 2006
Ottawa ,Canada
Seems having a purpose puts a finite cheap limit to one's being, eh ?
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
To you ?,absolutely , obviously you know what you are saying.

hermanntrude

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Jun 23, 2006
Newfoundland!
this brings us back to subjectivity. The existance of humans has a purpose as far as a hair louse is concerned. Their purpose is to be lived on. The purpose of a sheep is, from most people's point of view, to provide food and wool.

The purpose of the human race from a biological point of view is to make more humans

the purpose of life itself... hmmm... from a biological point of view... to make more life... that's all life seems to be sometimes... the ability to reproduce. as for a higher purpose, like a purpose from the point of view of a divine entity such as a God... unfathomable to us i expect

MikeyDB

House Member
Jun 9, 2006
Why must everything have a purpose?

Do animals and birds look for purpose? Do fish and cetaceans seek meaningfullness in their lives through defining "purpose"?

Only the arrogance of the Human demands purposefullness as a condition of existence.

hermanntrude

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Jun 23, 2006
Newfoundland!
a little harsh mikey. the thread is "does life has a purpose" not "what is the purpose of life" and most of us are discussing whether or not there is a purpose. But i do believe that from some points of view there IS a purpose to life, and i don't think it's arrogant to believe so. It seems obvious that the purpose of life from nature's or a biological point of view is to make more life which is better at living, otherwise it wouldn't be life. but i suspect this isnt the kind of answer china was looking for.

I expect that a "higher" purpose, such as the purpose of life from the point of view of the Universe or a supreme being, depends on whether the Universe HAS a point of view and whether there IS a supreme being. both of these are questions I have not yet answered so i reserve judgement on that

nelk

Electoral Member
May 18, 2005
atlantic canada
Purpose of Life

Could it be, that there may be a Creator
who has set up Earth, Universe
like Kids building up a LEGO Town/Scene?

Playing is not only to build up (create) but in addition there seems to be more fun to fill the spaces with
activity; hence the little Lego creatures. Kids are on the roll now.

For God our presence and activities are the source of great entertainment, sort of cosmic soap opera.

Now every thing has his place and price, so (Gods) rules apply.

Since everthing in nature is mortal a definite impetus is applied to Life to make the best of it and survive as species. Including all the hurt and suffering caused by greed and lack of (life)time.

But Humans also can go beyound that ; we can think about us, God and the rest of the universe.
There are hardly any concrete anwers at large, so we left with our spiritual needs often unfullfilled and become unsatisfyable Consumers instead of (albeit low Earthling)Partners to our Creator.

There is such a thing called the book of books.
Read Ecclisiastes written 3000 years ago by Solomon and see what he said.
Profound stuff, but oughhh that "christian"talk again.
But hey, show me what better you got!

So if we dismiss God and his Creation as many do, what do you live for really?

Greetings Nelk

china

Time Out
Jul 30, 2006
Ottawa ,Canada
But hey, show me what better you got!
-------------------------------------------------------------

I,ll show you something bettter that you can learn more than from the book of Ecclisiastes......YOURSELF!
I can talk about it if youd like
China in China

Last edited:

jimmoyer

jimmoyer
Apr 3, 2005
Winchester Virginia
www.contactcorp.net
If life had a purpose then we would all be demoted to a level of a machine.

A machine has a purpose.

Different parts of our bodies have a purpose. The heart's purpose is to pump. The bicep's is to lift.
And maybe turn on a girl. A parent is to enhance a child's behavior to be positive and productive.

Seems having a purpose puts a finite cheap limit to one's being, eh ?

But we are not machines, and no purpose, a narrow constrict in and of itself, is to limit us.

It's wide open.

We are not machines.

humanbeing

Electoral Member
Jul 21, 2006
The purpose of the human race from a biological point of view is to make more humans

Kind of, yeah... Natural selection and evolution happen. The very fact that we are capable of trying to think of a purpose for life must be related to this selection in some way, directly or indirectly. It was apparently beneficial for the necessary organs & faculties to be evolved and developed in our bodies from whatever they were at some earlier point (even if these faculties were not originally intended or used for thinking of a purpose for life). It is all directly or indirectly towards that end: making the next generation, or making more humans as you say.

The way I understand your reply is that life in it,s self doesn,t have any purpose ( I will not try to convince you that there is purpose for everything and everything has a purpose in it's self ,everything seen and unseen , you are to smart for that ) therfore you make your own purposes for living wheather you are dead or alive.....? wow....only in Canada .

Only when you are alive. He simply says "We make our own purpose"... To the extent that we know, one does not think or make purposes for anything in any appreciable way when they are dead. I will hazard a guess and say that Dexter would agree with me there.

As far as our individual lives go, we can give them whatever purposes we want. As to life in general and to its having a purpose beyond what we would choose, who knows?

To me, life just seems to be matter arranged in certain ways (which by no means should take away from its beauty). So is there a purpose to that? Is there also a purpose to matter that is not arranged in the certain ways that make life?

Maybe I am wrong, but it seems to me that a sufficiently advanced civilization will be able to make what we call life just be arranging matter in certain, highly complex, ways. Like most of the things we aspire to do with our technology, nature already does that. Take me, I am considered by myself and others to be a lifeform, and I am matter arranged in a highly complex way. The cats and the bacteria in my home as well. Zillions of atoms and what not are constantly being taken away from, added, and switched around in our bodies. All of this constitutes what we are as life. Whether there is something more to me or the bacteria, or perhaps to my mind, has not been proven beyond a doubt (though it seems there is lots in my favour), but I'll throw my money on life being just what I said it is.

Last edited:

MikeyDB

House Member
Jun 9, 2006
Hermantrude

I'll avoid the issue of semantics and address the topic as a whole.

The idea of "purpose" presumes such a great deal about so much for which there simply aren't answers.

Is it a condition of existence that I feel a kinship for the species of my fellows? Perhaps, although that wouldn't explain why I respect and revere all life from the bacteria and viruses that kill us to the poor Panda that evolution somehow overlooked. Is there some purpose to my acknowledging the finite-ness, the temporal nature of my experience on this earth? Perhaps that's what the great pessimist philosopher Schopenhauer ws pointing out, that by seeking some ethereal "meaning" some "higher purpose" we are invited to overlook the very real beauty and magic of the everyday!

Again I ask, what need "purpose"?

MikeyDB

House Member
Jun 9, 2006
GC

Helluva question there!

Is the "purpose" of "God" to create? And if that's the purpose emerging from a super-consciousness which has always existed and will always exist, are the motivations as well as the meaning behind this entities creations mirrored in their nature?

MikeyDB

House Member
Jun 9, 2006
Seems to me this all powerful creator being responsible for creating time itself could have done a whole lot better than to create suffering and hatred. If as this being supposedly represents, perfection exists is human existence an exercise in non-perfection simply to please a creator being with a sense of humor?