Nun study reveals God's flickering effect on the brain

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
Nun study reveals God's flickering effect on the brain

30th August 2006

A study, which subjected nuns to brain scans, found that several areas of their brain flickered into life when they felt the presence of God.

The study, conducted by reasearchers at the University of Montreal, Canada, involved 15 Carmelite nuns being hooked up to high-tech brain scans and asked to recall their most intense mystical experience.

The findings revealed that several areas of the brain - notably those involved with feelings of peace, happiness and self-awareness - engaged when mystical experiences were recalled, not just one specific "God spot."

Comparing results of scans on the nuns, aged from 23 to 64 years, while they were thinking of God, to results prior to being asked to recall religious experiences, scientists found that activity and oxygen levels surged in a dozen different regions.

The findings contradict previous research which suggested that there might be one key part of the brain involved in spiritual experiences.

In their findings, published in the journal Neuroscience Letters, researchers Mario Beauregard and Vincent Paquette said the main goal of the research was "to identify the neural correlates of a mystical experience."

They said the work did "not diminish the meaning and value of such an experience, and neither does it confirm or disconfirm the existence of God."

dailymail.co.uk

humanbeing

Electoral Member
Jul 21, 2006
RE: Nun study reveals God

Undoubtedly, you can cause the same/similar reactions in the brain of an atheist by measuring when she is acting excited or optimistic (or something along those lines) with regards to certain things.

jimmoyer

jimmoyer
Apr 3, 2005
Winchester Virginia
www.contactcorp.net
The findings revealed that several areas of the brain - notably those involved with feelings of peace, happiness and self-awareness - engaged when mystical experiences were recalled, not just one specific "God spot."

Comparing results of scans on the nuns, aged from 23 to 64 years, while they were thinking of God, to results prior to being asked to recall religious experiences, scientists found that activity and oxygen levels surged in a dozen different regions.

The findings contradict previous research which suggested that there might be one key part of the brain involved in spiritual experiences.
----------------------ABOVE TEXT FROM BLACKLEAF-------

So at least we've ruled out the existence of one
location in the brain as a Godspot.

No one particular Godspot, no one specialized location...

Hmmmm....

The Project Man

Liquer'd Up & Lash'n Out!
Aug 22, 2006
Pennsylvania
Flickering of the tail!

You achieve the same affect from showing a dog their leash. It is just self evident from the ass wiggling and the appendage attached following its lead.

Nuggler

kind and gentle
Feb 27, 2006
Backwater, Ontario.
nunny-org.

Well, one could ask, she might say yes to a demo.

oldjoke; One nun hangs with anothr nun to see the other nun dont get nun.

flicker-flicker.

har har?

ugg.

Curiosity

Senate Member
Jul 30, 2005
California
People.. my apologies

I didn't mean to be crude here - to me, it seemed logical at the time to print out that information because studies are done regularly on the electronic images in the brain during intercourse or
other forms of physical stimulation - including pain.

Our brains are one of the hardest working parts of our physical body (although some would argue about mine)... and I didn't think how my post would seem.

I hope I haven't offended some.