Dec 18, 2005
Toronto
www.mytimenow.net
Opus Dei Home page
http://www.opusdei.us/

Somewhat Anti-Opus Dei page
http://odan.org/

These are the religous fanatics who you may be familure with from the
Da Vinci Code currently in the movies and the best sellwer book. Now seperating fact from fiction. I doubt they have killer monks going around killing people but I personally think there devotion is blinding. I'd like to hear an arugment of somesort or opinions on them.

Finder

House Member
Dec 18, 2005
Toronto
www.mytimenow.net
http://www.opusdei.ca/

Canada's Opus Dei

BTW the orginization itself is one of the smaller catholic members, yet owns a building worth more then 40 million in the USA, has a lot of the Catholic hiarchy as members and elites.

Opus day in my opinion is an afront to all Progressive Catholics and others.

Jay

Executive Branch Member
Jan 7, 2005
If they could only find the kind of devotion you offer the NDP they would be set!

Finder

House Member
Dec 18, 2005
Toronto
www.mytimenow.net
Re: RE: Opus Dei, Fanatics or Faithful

Jay said:
If they could only find the kind of devotion you offer the NDP they would be set!

Well I'll give you this much Jay... You make me laugh, as you have me pegged as some kind of a Democratic fanatic.

Finder

House Member
Dec 18, 2005
Toronto
www.mytimenow.net
really? I've never met someone from Opus Dei, and I've met many different people from different societies. At least I never spotted there symbol. Freemasons have been the easyist for me to spot as they love to wear the symbol on there ring for some reason.

Finder

House Member
Dec 18, 2005
Toronto
www.mytimenow.net
How'd she give you the creeps? From my studies into the orginization there are three different levels of membership. I can not remember the names. The only acceptable one in our society really is the "super" something or other. Basically a "family unit" which main job is to have as many kids as possible and bring them up with Opus Dei Catholic values (scary). The other two levels in Opus Dei are really strange, evolving self mortification and what not.

Jay

Executive Branch Member
Jan 7, 2005
I'll bet the Opus Dei is pretty pissed off at Dan Brown at the moment....

Finder

House Member
Dec 18, 2005
Toronto
www.mytimenow.net

Jay said:
I'll bet the Opus Dei is pretty pissed off at Dan Brown at the moment....

Are you kidding. I saw a doc on Opus Dei the other day (dei, day... lol) Anyhow they love the fact he wrote the book. Opus Dei now invites hundreds of thousands to "Da vinci lectures" were they tell the crowds in great detales how wrong Dan Brown was and has become a great recruitment tool. Though officially they just point out all the errors in the book, but when these guys were being interviewed they seemed pretty stocked on how populer the book was and how many people it has brought to Opus Dei out of curosity.

gopher

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2005
Minnesota: Gopher State
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/4249444.stm

Friday, 16 September 2005
Decoding secret world of Opus Dei
Vatican
Opus Dei, the Work of God: A Church within a Church?
The successful novel The Da Vinci Code by Dan Brown has raised public interest in the controversial Catholic lay group Opus Dei, depicting it as a sect focused on wealth and power.

As part of the BBC's Who Runs Your World? series, the BBC's Max Seitz travelled to Spain - the country where Opus Dei was founded and seems to be most influential.

Opus Dei - which in Latin means "Work of God" - has been accused of manipulating its followers, but denies all such claims.

People on the streets of the Spanish capital, Madrid, told me that they believe Opus Dei is a secret society which has infiltrated politics and businesses.

"Opus Dei has a lot of power in Spain, and it's also influential in other countries," one person told me.

"There are lots of things we still don't know about them - they just let us know what they want," said another.

"Opus Dei is a powerful organisation which uses its schools and universities to grow more influential."

Opus Dei saint

But what's the truth behind this perception? Is Opus Dei as powerful as people think?

This Catholic group claims around 85,000 members around the world, one third of them in Spain. Members are encouraged to promote the evangelising mission through their professional work.

In other words, they aim to be very successful in their jobs while at the same time being charitable to other people and trying to attract more followers.

Franco's regime was a period of political and economic success for Opus Dei, but at the same time has given the group a bad name
Alberto Moncada
Spanish sociologist

In 2002, thousands of pilgrims from around the world travelled to the Vatican when Pope John Paul II canonised the founder of Opus Dei, Josemaria Escriva de Balaguer, in a "fast track" process only 27 years after his death.

He also granted Opus Dei the status of "personal prelature" - which has given the group some independence within the Catholic Church. That is why some say that Opus Dei grew more influential in the Vatican during the papacy of John Paul II.

But Opus Dei's spokesman Jack Valero denies it: "The number of people from Opus Dei working in the Vatican is very reduced: five or maybe six people, including the spokesman Joaquin Navarro-Valls. The influence of Opus Dei in the Holy See has been exaggerated."

But critics say there are more clergymen with links to Opus Dei, and that they have created a "Church within the Church", something that the Catholic group denies.

Statue of Josemaria Escriva de Balaguer
Opus Dei founder Josemaria Escriva de Balaguer has been canonised

Opus Dei has also had prominent representatives among governments and companies, although they usually do not publicly recognise their membership.

The Spanish sociologist Alberto Moncada - himself a former Opus Dei member - explains that the link between Opus Dei and power could be traced back to the 50's, when two representatives of the group were appointed ministers during General Franco's regime.

"Franco's regime was a period of political and economic success for Opus Dei, but at the same time has given the group a bad name," he said.

"People still remember this old time. However, things have changed. Although some members of Opus Dei are active in politics and businesses nowadays, they don't act together like a mafia. That's not true."

The UK education secretary, Ruth Kelly, has recently confirmed reports that she is a member of Opus Dei.

Control

In Latin America, Colombian President Alvaro Uribe is also said to be a member - something he has not confirmed.

Opus Dei's spokesman Jack Valero says religion is something that should be kept private.

"Opus Dei membership is a private matter," he said. "We don't publicise our members list. Some high-profile politicians say publicly that they belong to Opus Dei, yes, but that's not relevant to their job as government officials or congressmen. What's really important is how they do their job."

Carmen Charo
Each member has lots of spiritual tasks to fulfil... and his or her development as a free person isn't really considered - one is always under the orders of the spiritual leaders
Carmen Charo,
former numerary
It is difficult to pin down just how much money Opus Dei has. The group is decentralised into scores of foundations around the world, and it does not publicise its general accounts. Members have to donate a significant part of their income.

But maybe the most overlooked aspect of Opus Dei's power is that it is said to wield over its followers. Accusations have been made of brainwashing and manipulation in centres where celibate members live, the so-called "numeraries".

"Life is schizophrenic in Opus Dei centres," says former numerary Carmen Charo.

"Each member has lots of spiritual tasks to fulfil, like praying, going to mass every day, training other followers, and his or her development as a free person isn't really considered - one is always under the orders of the spiritual leaders, and also under their strict control. The same happens with your money."

Members of Opus Dei respond to these criticisms by saying that they are normal people working in the midst of the world just like anyone else, and that they are free and can leave whenever they want.

"It's a vocation," says Jose Maria Villalon. "You can freely choose your way of life and I have chosen to find God in my work as a member of Opus Dei.

"Someone within the group could have made some mistake, even myself. That's normal in any organisation run by human beings. However I completely deny that people are manipulated or brainwashed."

So are Opus Dei members saints or sinners? Many in Spain say the answer lies somewhere in between.

Finder

House Member
Dec 18, 2005
Toronto
www.mytimenow.net
http://maypinska.com/pages/projects/buildbodylex.htm

Just to give you a slight taste of there power. Thats there HQ in the USA alone, worth over 20 million dollars.

Opus Dei has less then 80k members around the world, yet can build such structurers, while the progressive catholic orginizations which have memberships of hundreds of millions around the world need to rent and beg space out of such places like bingo halls and the sort.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
I must lead a sheltered life

I don't know anything about this. I tried to read "Angels and Demons" but gave up on it about a third of the way through. Maybe I'll try again.

The Project Man

Liquer'd Up & Lash'n Out!
Aug 22, 2006
Pennsylvania
This is a similar type of religious fanaticism found within each society. If you are a believer your body is to be a temple according to some teachings. If they believe so devoutly that they punish themselves to suffer as Jesus had, is it guilt or an offering. Is it the belief that they are Christ-like and should suffer as he did? Props to them for not force feeding it to the masses over the past 2000 yrs. It is freaky.

Thank you,

Finder

House Member
Dec 18, 2005
Toronto
www.mytimenow.net

The Project Man said:
This is a similar type of religious fanaticism found within each society. If you are a believer your body is to be a temple according to some teachings. If they believe so devoutly that they punish themselves to suffer as Jesus had, is it guilt or an offering. Is it the belief that they are Christ-like and should suffer as he did? Props to them for not force feeding it to the masses over the past 2000 yrs. It is freaky.

Thank you,

hmmm, but as an orginization it has been known to get it's priests into the higharchy of the Catholic church to try to control Catholic doctrin to a extremely conservative view. This doesn't just effect it's own members but all catholics. So in a sence they are force feeding the catholic masses and nations.

sanctus

The Padre
Oct 27, 2006
Ontario
www.poetrypoem.com
http://www.opusdei.ca/

Canada's Opus Dei

BTW the orginization itself is one of the smaller catholic members, yet owns a building worth more then 40 million in the USA, has a lot of the Catholic hiarchy as members and elites.

Opus day in my opinion is an afront to all Progressive Catholics and others.

An affront? Hardly, their purpose is to preserve the Catholic faith and help to prevent liberalism and humanism from tainting the Church. Personally, I wish more Catholics were as devoted to Holy Mother church and traditional Catholicism
as the membership of Opus Dei.