Ought New Testament Greek be compuslosry in School?

Ought New Testament Greek be compuslosry in School?

• Yes.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Maybe.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Crusader

Nominee Member
Apr 18, 2006
Do you think the New Testament Greek ought to be a compusory subject for all Children Canada-wide as of the age of ten?

thecdn

Electoral Member
Apr 12, 2006
North Lauderdale, FL
Is this thread/poll a joke of some kind? In 21st century Canada we are going to require new testament greek?! 8O

Isn't there enough problems getting people to learn their second official language without adding another to the mix? And if there were to be another language added, I can think of many others more worthy than this.

Maybe you'd have more fun playing over at christianforums.com since pushing christianity seems to your raison d'etre.

pastafarian

Electoral Member
Oct 25, 2005
in the belly of the mouse
A better idea would be to make astronomy, evolutionary biology and comparative religion (we throw some NT Greek in here) compulsory for all schoolchildren. It would all but wipe out religious fanaticism in a generation.

Jay

Executive Branch Member
Jan 7, 2005
If we were going to resurrect an old language we should bring back Latin.

FiveParadox

Governor General
Dec 20, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Crusader, I don't agree with this suggestion.

I don't think that we should force persons to learn about any religion in particular (I would suggest that forcing students to learn about the New Testament, particularly in Greek, would not only require significant resources to be drawn from other subjects, but could give the implication to such students that Canada is somehow a Christian nation).

thecdn

Electoral Member
Apr 12, 2006
North Lauderdale, FL
Re: RE: Ought New Testament Greek be compuslosry in School?

Jay said:

Respect for what? After reading his threads on new testament greek being compuslosry(sic) in schools and making a christian international confederation what is there to have respect for?

I think not

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 12, 2005
The Evil Empire
Μεγάλη Πέμπτη: Τα πασχαλινά αυγά

Το κλασικό τους χρώμα τέτοια εποχή είναι το κόκκινο. Για να συμβολίζει το Θείο Πάθος και την ανανέωση της ζωής. Ο λόγος βέβαια τα πασχαλινά αυγά που βάφουν σήμερα, Μεγάλη Πέμπτη όλες οι νοικοκυρές.

Δεν είναι όμως μόνο κόκκινα τώρα πια τα αυγά του Πάσχα. Οι καιροί άλλαξαν και τώρα τα αυγά βάφονται σε διαφορα χρώματα, ενώ πάνω τους καλλιτέχνες ζωγραφίζουν ακόμα και μικρά έργα τέχνης.

Για του λόγου του αληθές στο φωτορεπορτάζ που ακολουθεί δείτε μερικές διαφορετικές προτάσεις για τη διακόσμηση των πασχαλινών σας αυγών.
----------------------------------------

Now that wasn't so hard, was it?

Sassylassie

House Member
Jan 31, 2006
My goodness ITN, I most certainly will not do as you asked in that post. Naughty, naughty.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
While I can understand the great advantages a common language would introduce to Christendom, I don't think it's appropriate to impose a language of such strong religious association upon non-Christians.

Acknowledging Canada's predominantly Christian population would make me support the idea that Christians could be given NT Greek as an alternative language in schools across Canada. And who knows. If enough anglophone Christians and enough Francophone Christians went for it, then this could help unite Christians Canada-wide. Anglophone Christians would not feel tha French is being imposed on them, and Francophones ditto for English. NT Greek could be the freely chosen language for both sides, which could thus be regarded as neutral ground between the two groups, so to speak. A Christian Esperanto, if you will :wink:

Another advantage with NT Greek is that, from what I have heard and read, it is quite difficult to learn. An advantage? You say. Yes, an advantage. If fundies are busy learning and propagating NT Greek, then they'll be too busy to engage in partisan politics. :D

So if anything, whenever we see a fundie engaging in partisan politics, we ought to try to sell him on the idea of NT Greek. If he bites, he's out out of politics for at least a few years as he's busy learning Greek :)

hey hey hey, I think we're on to something here. Whenever you see a fundie of any religious stripe, sell him on the idea of his religious language. Greek, Arabic, Hebrew, Sanscrit, Pali, Persian, etc. They're probably all quite difficult. So once you sell the fundie on that, you knock him out of politics for awhile. Maybe that's what God had in mind when he chose his languages?

So there you go, secondary school students ought to be given the choice of learning their revelation language as an alternative. It'll be good for Canada. But please include Esperanto too for the secular types. :wink:

Cosmo

House Member
Jul 10, 2004
Victoria, BC
Crusader said:
Do you think the New Testament Greek ought to be a compusory subject for all Children Canada-wide as of the age of ten?
Separation of church and state ... it's become my mantra. Teach kids to read English before we start worrying about other languages is my opinion.

I think not

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 12, 2005
The Evil Empire
Machjo said:
Another advantage with NT Greek is that, from what I have heard and read, it is quite difficult to learn. An advantage? You say. Yes, an advantage. If fundies are busy learning and propagating NT Greek, then they'll be too busy to engage in partisan politics. :D

Actually the phonology of what you refer to as NT Greek (Which is in essence Classical or ancient Greek) helps very much for someone to learn to read and pronounce the Greek Language almost immediately. Grammar is another matter, but anyone with about an hour or two of study can learn to read Greek with no problem.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
I think not said:
Machjo said:

Actually the phonology of what you refer to as NT Greek (Which is in essence Classical or ancient Greek) helps very much for someone to learn to read and pronounce the Greek Language almost immediately. Grammar is another matter, but anyone with about an hour or two of study can learn to read Greek with no problem.

Well, at least the grammer will keep 'em busy. :D