The foundation of Christianity is based on ignorance

Ludlow
I'm not Christian but I would ask, ignorant of what?

gerryh
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by taxslaveView Post

At risk of derailing the thread there is the not igsignificant matter of the churches hiding knowledge of pedophile priests.

The churches aren't the only ones that have done or do that.

Nick Danger
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by gerryhView Post

The churches aren't the only ones that have done or do that.

True, but those that place themselves in a position that engenders the trust of their followers should be held to a higher standard, like police or teachers. In a lot of aspects the betrayal of that trust is a more heinous infraction than the crime itself.

To nudge this thread back toward the original topic, while ignorance may not be a foundation of Christianity, I think that a lot of religions have come to depend on the blind trust of others. Especially those that hang on to concepts and ideas that will not stand up to close scientific scrutiny.

gerryh
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by Nick DangerView Post

True, but those that place themselves in a position that engenders the trust of their followers should be held to a higher standard, like police or teachers. In a lot of aspects the betrayal of that trust is a more heinous infraction than the crime itself.

To nudge this thread back toward the original topic, while ignorance may not be a foundation of Christianity, I think that a lot of religions have come to depend on the blind trust of others. Especially those that hang on to concepts and ideas that will not stand up to close scientific scrutiny.

The original topic was Christianity exclusively. Hence the topic header, "The foundation of Christianity is based on ignorance". It has pretty much been proven now, by your own admission, that the OP is incorrect.

Nick Danger
+1
Incorrect as stated, but not totally without merit. I believe that many tenets of Christianity do not ring true in a literal context, but are still taught as "truth" within the faith. But that is the essence of "ignorance" isn't it? To know you are doing something wrong but carry on with it anyways ? I believe the more progressive Christian faiths are embracing a metaphoric approach to Biblical stories, where literal belief is not required but the moral message remains intact.

gerryh

Incorrect as stated, but not totally without merit. I believe that many tenets of Christianity do not ring true in a literal context, but are still taught as "truth" within the faith. But that is the essence of "ignorance" isn't it? To know you are doing something wrong but carry on with it anyways ? I believe the more progressive Christian faiths are embracing a metaphoric approach to Biblical stories, where literal belief is not required but the moral message remains intact.

On the whole, how many Christian sects are literalists compared to those that are not?

Nick Danger
Beats me. Where would you even look that up?

gerryh

You used the word "many". Just asking you to be more specific instead of using a word that is very subjective.

Danbones
Some say there are over 30,000 separate kinds of Christianity
https://theway21stcentury.wordpress....ons-worldwide/ (external - login to view)
which one is the true faith?

gerryh
Quote: Originally Posted by DanbonesView Post

Some say there are over 30,000 separate kinds of Christianity
https://theway21stcentury.wordpress....ons-worldwide/ (external - login to view)
which one is the true faith?

I think the statement at the end says it best.

"critics of christianity have work to do before they can realistically define the degree of division."

Danbones
...and on the other hand the fact that christians can't?
After Protestantism was invented, the religious wars took out about a third of Europe
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Europe...ion#Death_toll (external - login to view)
that was just basically TWO forms

Ludlow

There is no statistic for that.

Nick Danger
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by LudlowView Post

There is no statistic for that.

That sounds about right, especially since the landscape is continually changing. If you dig around on the web you can find statistics to support many different points of view, it all depends who is publishing the so-called "facts". How "many" is not important, the point is that there are differing viewpoints all falling under the umbrella of "Christian", and there is a trend toward a softening of the hard line approach to Biblical writings and just what form "God" takes. It has become plain that the concept of God as the bearded super being with a pocket full of miracles is not enough for some, that it stretches believability to the breaking point. People are being asked to accept on faith that which is in opposition to their perception of the real world and that is becoming increasingly difficult for many. Thus the "cult of ignorance" is no longer working for growing numbers of Christians, they are having trouble accepting a point of view that is mired in tradition to the point of antiquity. People still want the moral lessons, but the traditional vehicle for those teachings is increasingly seen as "last year's model". A metaphorical interpretation of the Bible offers a compromise, an avenue to hang on to the moral lessons without the turmoil of having to accept as true the thought that Noah could actually fit two of every species on the planet into a boat, or that Christ did in fact, rise from the dead.

Ludlow
Some parts are figurative and some are not. A better word than metaphor would be emic. Pretty much the majority of literal writings would be the letters of Saul. As far as Jesus goes, he didn't write anything but it is well known that he taught the Jewish people using parables., which are figurative messages. This is what has been written about him.

Danbones
parables...sounds like Hollywood

Corduroy
Quote: Originally Posted by tayView Post

"The whole foundation of Christianity is based on the idea that intellectualism is the work of the Devil. Remember the apple on the tree? Okay, it was the Tree of Knowledge. You eat this apple, you're going to be as smart as God. We can't have that."

Frank Zappa

Does that mean Adam and Eve were as smart as God?

taxslave
Quote: Originally Posted by CorduroyView Post

Does that mean Adam and Eve were as smart as God?

Smarter. They questioned what they were told.