Dung of the Devil': Pope Francis Denounces Capitalism

grainfedpraiboy

Electoral Member
Mar 15, 2009
Alberta The Last Best West
Pope Francis described the pursuit of money as “the dung of the devil” and offered a heartfelt apology for what the Catholic Church did to the native peoples of South America during a visit to Bolivia Friday.

On the second stage of the three-country tour of his home continent, the Argentinean Pope criticised the iniquities and excesses of capitalism in a speech which bolstered his reputation as a guardian of the poor. It will, however, ring alarm bells among conservatives, especially in the United States, which he will visit in September.............

‘Dung of the devil': Pope Francis denounces capitalism, greed and the pursuit of money | National Post

I'm an atheist and a staunch capitalist and I couldn't agree with the pope more and I am impressed such a powerful figure has the gonads to state it. Screw American conservatives if they can't see past their gated communities of manicured lawns and Stepford wives that a lot of other folks live in squalor in ravaged ecosystems at their expense.

The current system is unsustainable for the masses of the planet. We need something better only problem is....there is nothing better and everything else is worse.

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
While I am always in agreement with reducing financial freedoms and increasing social freedoms, this is obvious rhetoric to charge people up. And I completely agree with the science on climate change, but the solution will be in transforming our energy economy into one that encompasses renewable technology. It's not in this naturalistic fallacy that the pope proposes.

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
I don't see it.

I generally disagree that the solution to repair the environment is to completely remove commerce or become luddites.

Edit: Ok, it's up now.

Yea, I don't think consumerism is unsustainable. Like anything, it just requires appropriate legislation.

People will not stop buying **** because they pope tells them, but we can have rules that incentivise certain behaviours and punish harmful ones.

Also, if we just stopped having children, life would also be a hell of a lot easier.

Last edited:

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
I do believe is social progress but money is not evil it is how money is used
that can be evil. As for the apology it is a welcome change from silence.
I think it is rhetoric though to stir emotions. The neo conservatives have gone
too far and their actions are going to bite them before long unfortunately this
country has followed suit and will likely end up in the same fate

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
While I am always in agreement with reducing financial freedoms and increasing social freedoms, this is obvious rhetoric to charge people up. And I completely agree with the science on climate change, but the solution will be in transforming our energy economy into one that encompasses renewable technology. It's not in this naturalistic fallacy that the pope proposes.

I'm not sure that there is a way that could be made to work!

Pope Francis described the pursuit of money as “the dung of the devil” and offered a heartfelt apology for what the Catholic Church did to the native peoples of South America during a visit to Bolivia Friday.

That is easily rectified- we just need an alternate form of legal tender!

grainfedpraiboy

Electoral Member
Mar 15, 2009
Bono has figured it out and maybe the Pope will, too.
U2's Bono Courageously Embraces Capitalism - Forbes

The cure may be worse than the disease.

If everyone on the planet lived a life like we do in Canada plus we include the newly minted 3 billion Africans that will join us on this planet in the next half century it doesn't take an economic genius (or even someone of reasonable intelligence) to realise that the ecosystem collapses entirely and here and now I challenge you to prove otherwise.

Even with most of the world living in poverty our ecosystem today is collapsing regardless of whether you believe in global warming or factoring the theory of climate change. Hell, I see it everyday just in trying to keep my bees alive while all other natural pollinators in NA have almost become extinct in just the last 20 years. You have to be either an extreme Liberal or extreme Conservative to ignore or deny we have passed peak water, peak arable land, peak forest and all three of those critical bio indicators are undisputedly and unarguably in decline but once again I invite any proof you have to the contrary.

In Canada and the US our environment is pristine compared to what is going on elsewhere in the world. In China things are so bad the leading cause of death is cancer. Think about that. But I want to be fair.......I want to give you the opportunity to tell me how you think the planet can add/elevate 8 billion people to the lifestyle we enjoy in the West without cocking up the planet's ecosystem especially given what has happened in China and it's impact on the globe when we lifted 400 million of the 1.2 billion out of poverty by having all the stuff sold at Walmart made there?

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
If everyone on the planet lived a life like we do in Canada plus we include the newly minted 3 billion Africans that will join us on this planet in the next half century it doesn't take an economic genius (or even someone of reasonable intelligence) to realise that the ecosystem collapses entirely and here and now I challenge you to prove otherwise
If Africans grew grain like we do, they could feed the world all by their lonesomes.

With my 60ft seeder, I'm doing 525sq ft per second at 6 mph.

Try that with a yak.

grainfedpraiboy

Electoral Member
Mar 15, 2009
If Africans grew grain like we do, they could feed the world all by their lonesomes.

With my 60ft seeder, I'm doing 525sq ft per second at 6 mph.

Try that with a yak.

Between growing desertification, the Chinese buying up most available farmland for their domestic use and the Americans subsidizing US agriculture for aid export suppressing agricultural development in the third world it's a wonder the billion or so there now are only half starved.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
Most agree that the world is over populated and cannot sustain our current rate of consumption forever. So who gets to play gawd and choose who lives and who leaves? I think the ones that complain about it the most should be the first to leave.

grainfedpraiboy

Electoral Member
Mar 15, 2009
Most agree that the world is over populated and cannot sustain our current rate of consumption forever. So who gets to play gawd and choose who lives and who leaves? I think the ones that complain about it the most should be the first to leave.

Recognizing a problem and acknowledging it doesn't mean we have to take the extreme position. It means we need to better manage the problem and manipulate the outcome for our benefit.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Between growing desertification, the Chinese buying up most available farmland for their domestic use and the Americans subsidizing US agriculture for aid export suppressing agricultural development in the third world it's a wonder the billion or so there now are only half starved.

War has turned prime grazing and grain land to dust, the Chinese are part of the global populous damn near every developed nation subsidizes farming. Neat huh?

That isn't true. There is no food shortages or overpopulation.

grainfedpraiboy

Electoral Member
Mar 15, 2009
damn near every developed nation subsidizes farming. Neat huh?

American farming is a little different. Take sorghum. The American government pays farmers in the US to grow it even though no one eats it there but in Africa, where it is a staple in many countries it is exported for free as aid. This means local African farmers have a real tough time growing sorghum and competing with the US government.

That isn't true. There is no food shortages or overpopulation.

I agree there is not a food shortage but rather a distribution issue. However, we surpassed human ecological sustainability (overpopulation) somewhere in the early part of the 20 century and are now living on borrowed resources.

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015
... sez Francis from his glittery palace. I'll believe him a lot more when I see him using those vast Vatican resources to provide real assistance to the poor and downtrodden. Currently, that is mostly done by the capitalist countries through their foreign aid programs.

gopher

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2005
Minnesota: Gopher State

but still has not returned the gold that was stolen by the conquistadors