Michigan Priest Sentenced in Charity Theft

tay

Hall of Fame Member
May 20, 2012
judge sentenced a Detroit-area Catholic priest Monday to two months in jail each calendar year for the next five years for stealing money from a charity for the poor.

The Rev. Timothy Kane, 58, will be jailed only during the months of December and June, according to Wayne County Circuit Judge Bruce Morrow's sentence. Kane must serve an additional two months that will be determined by probation officials, for a total sentence of one year in jail.

Prosecutors aren't thrilled with the length of time given by Morrow. Sentencing guidelines called for three years to five years in jail, assistant prosecutor Maria Miller said.

"This is a most unusual sentence that is below the defendant's guidelines," Miller said. "It is especially troubling considering that he was convicted as charged of multiple counts of stealing money from the poor. We will be determining whether we will appeal the case in the next several days."

A jury found Kane guilty in October of crimes including embezzlement of between $1,000 and $20,000 from the Angel Fund, an Archdiocese of Detroit charity created to help people in need. He denied the charges and said he wrongly signed a confession to police.

Before being sentenced, Kane told Morrow that he was in debt and got "pulled into something without knowing what was going on."

"My finances are an open book," he said. "I've never been enriched by any scam."

Kane was offered a plea deal before the trial but declined.

Kane also was sentenced to five years' probation and restitution of $131,400. He was ordered to report Tuesday to the Wayne County Jail.

A woman who authorities say conspired with Kane was sentenced in October to five years of probation and a $5,000 fine. She pleaded no contest to charges including embezzlement and conspiracy.

Michigan Priest Sentenced in Charity Theft - ABC News

Motar

Council Member
Jun 18, 2013
BOISE — A Caldwell restaurant owner will spend 41 months in federal prison for conspiracy to evade taxes, United States Attorney Wendy J. Olson announced Tuesday.
Rogelio Contreras Villasenor, 49, must also serve three years of supervised release after he's released, U.S. District Judge Edward J. Lodge ruled.
Villasenor pleaded guilty to the charge July 10, Olson said in a news release, but tried to withdraw his plea earlier this month, arguing that his former attorney failed to inform him of his potential defenses.
After waiving his attorney-client privilege, Millasenor's prior attorney testified that he had advised his client of all potential defenses. Lodge denied Villasenor's request to withdraw his plea and ruled that the defendant had given a false testimony under oath.
According to information presented in court, Villasenor, who owned and operated Caldwell-based Tacos Michoacan for almost 20 years, failed to report over $1 million in income between 2005 and 2011. At his sentencing, Lodge learned that some of this unreported income came from growing marijuana on public lands and trafficking methamphetamine, marijuana and cocaine.
As part of his plea agreement, Villasenor will forfeit real property, bank accounts and a vehicle. He'll also be required to pay a tax assessment of about $330,000 to the Internal Revenue Service.
Caldwell restaurateur sentenced for tax evasion - Idaho Press-Tribune: News

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
Should have gave him double and made it community service, . . . wait, . . . cancel that proposed change now and forever. Amen

Matter of degree. Take a look at the federal balance sheet. The government is really poor.
We pay them a lot of good money to be that way.

The Gov could always quit and change their name to CANADA.ORG, you know, become a tax deduction.

Last edited:

DaSleeper

Trolling Hypocrites
May 27, 2007
Northern Ontario,
Should have gave him double and made it community service, . . . wait, . . . cancel that proposed change now and forever. Amen

We pay them a lot of good money to be that way.

The Gov could always quit and change their name to CANADA.ORG, you know, become a tax deduction.
?????

Harikrish

Electoral Member
Sep 2, 2014
Sign of the times when churches are going bankrupt and pastors have to steal from the poor. But there is a higher purpose behind this shift. More people are working instead of spending their time in church. It only makes sense pastors are forced to go to the working poor when the poor no longer comes to church. That is why the pastor only got a light sentence.

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
Sign of the times when churches are going bankrupt and pastors have to steal from the poor. But there is a higher purpose behind this shift. More people are working instead of spending their time in church. It only makes sense pastors are forced to go to the working poor when the poor no longer comes to church. That is why the pastor only got a light sentence.
maybe but I think priests are paid by the big church...maybe not....hmmmmmmm I've never asked that question of a priest...wouldn't really feel comfortable doing so now but I guess there are other ways to find out

Harikrish

Electoral Member
Sep 2, 2014
maybe but I think priests are paid by the big church...maybe not....hmmmmmmm I've never asked that question of a priest...wouldn't really feel comfortable doing so now but I guess there are other ways to find out

It is a good time for change. But the Pastors case just proves the church does well when the poor are dependent on them. When the conditions improve for the poor the church and pastors suffer.

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
It is a good time for change. But the Pastors case just proves the church does well when the poor are dependent on them. When the conditions improve for the poor the church and pastors suffer.
well the money given by the congregation is definitely a factor...churches attracting a lot of new growth certainly do well...the church my guy goes to does a lot for the community, they would seem to be a rich and growing church...politically they would be right lefts to quite right, but socially quite left...a nice balance I believe and the community benefits greatly from it as they do give out a lot of money to those in need from food to whatever is needed at the time...a very generous people.

Harikrish

Electoral Member
Sep 2, 2014
well the money given by the congregation is definitely a factor...churches attracting a lot of new growth certainly do well...the church my guy goes to does a lot for the community, they would seem to be a rich and growing church...politically they would be right lefts to quite right, but socially quite left...a nice balance I believe and the community benefits greatly from it as they do give out a lot of money to those in need from food to whatever is needed at the time...a very generous people.

Maybe the pastor was so good he worked himself out of a job and was forced to steal. Just proves reformed sinners are less generous.

Harikrish

Electoral Member
Sep 2, 2014
He can't afford to pay for it now.

I wonder if prostitutes charge pastors more for their services because they have to forgive the pastor for sinning and they also have to accept the blame for tempting the pastor. That is a lot of guilt put on her profession.