Religious Fundamentalism Could Be Treated As A

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
This is interesting. Might be able to cure radical extremists.

Kathleen Taylor, Neuroscientist, Says Religious Fundamentalism Could Be Treated As A Mental Illness

An Oxford University researcher and author specializing in neuroscience has suggested that one day religious fundamentalism may be treated as a curable mental illness.

Kathleen Taylor, who describes herself as a "science writer affiliated to the Department of Physiology, Anatomy and Genetics," made the suggestion during a presentation on brain research at the Hay Literary Festival in Wales on Wednesday.

In response to a question about the future of neuroscience, Taylor said that "One of the surprises may be to see people with certain beliefs as people who can be treated," The Times of London notes.

“Someone who has for example become radicalised to a cult ideology -- we might stop seeing that as a personal choice that they have chosen as a result of pure free will and may start treating it as some kind of mental disturbance," Taylor said. “In many ways it could be a very positive thing because there are no doubt beliefs in our society that do a heck of a lot of damage."

The author went on to say she wasn't just referring to the "obvious candidates like radical Islam," but also meant such beliefs as the idea that beating children is acceptable.

Taylor was not immediately available for comment.

This is not the first time Taylor has explored the mind processes of a radical. In 2006, she wrote a book about mind control called Brainwashing: The Science of Thought Control, which explored the science behind the persuasive tactics of such groups as cults and al Qaeda.

"We all change our beliefs of course," Taylor said in a YouTube video about the book. "We all persuade each other to do things; we all watch advertising; we all get educated and experience [religions.] Brainwashing, if you like, is the extreme end of that; it's the coercive, forceful, psychological torture type."

Taylor also noted that brainwashing, though extreme, is part of a the "much more widespread phenomenon" of persuasion. That is, "how we make people think things that might not be good for them, that they might not otherwise have chosen to think."

However, Taylor has also been a voice of caution in terms of the ethics of delving too deeply into the human brain's mysterious workings.

"Technologies which directly scan or manipulate brains cannot be neutral tools, as open to commercial exploitation as any new gadget," Taylor wrote in a blog post for The Huffington Post in 2012. "The brain supremacy offers chances to improve human dignity, but it also risks abuse."

DaSleeper

Trolling Hypocrites
May 27, 2007
Northern Ontario,
Two lines now........should get a bite soon huh?

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007

PoliticalNick

The Troll Bashing Troll
Mar 8, 2011
Edson, AB
I believe they should treat all believers from all religions as having a mental disorder, not just the over-zealous ones.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
I believe they should treat all believers from all religions as having a mental disorder, not just the over-zealous ones.

It is OK, the Dr. will be along shortly with happy meds.
Yes I know it is a lovely white coat. Zips up the back so nicely.
Why are arms so long? The new fashion statement. No worries, you are a trendsetter.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
uh huh, :roll: and every once in a while we get a ding bat "scientist" that tells us they can "cure" homosexuality as it is a "mental disorder".

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
Thought police? Uh, no thanks.

uh huh, :roll: and every once in a while we get a ding bat "scientist" that tells us they can "cure" homosexuality as it is a "mental disorder".

He/She would have to have been living under a rock for the last few years, considering what is known now about sexuality.

Do you think there could be a mental disorder as a possibility for Extremists? Those that blow up people and destroy human life for their god. ( and I do mean "their" god. Not your God)

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
He/She would have to have been living under a rock for the last few years, considering what is known now about sexuality.

Do you think there could be a mental disorder as a possibility for Extremists? Those that blow up people and destroy human life for their god. ( and I do mean "their" god. Not your God)

What I see is the beginning of a very slippery slope. I'm far from as extremist, and yet I have been accused of having delusions because of my beliefs.

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
What I see is the beginning of a very slippery slope. I'm far from as extremist, and yet. have been accused of having delusions because of my beliefs.

I get what you're saying. There would have to be some extreme behavior first, for me to be on board with this. I don't think it could be a preventative measure.

PoliticalNick

The Troll Bashing Troll
Mar 8, 2011
Edson, AB
Let's face it. If I went around talking about some ethereal alien being living in the sky talking to me and telling me to live in the dark ages and collect money from everyone to save their lives I would be branded as nuts. As soon as I call this being god (one of the 'accepted' gods that is) it is a free pass from the asylum.

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
A Mouse Once Bit My Sister
Let's face it. If I went around talking about some ethereal alien being living in the sky talking to me and telling me to live in the dark ages and collect money from everyone to save their lives I would be branded as nuts. As soon as I call this being god (one of the 'accepted' gods that is) it is a free pass from the asylum.

You just described the global warming lunatics... Are ya able to prescribe any meds to deal with that?

Motar

Council Member
Jun 18, 2013

The following testimony is a little long, but it presents a worthy alternative to psychotherapy.

"When we get in a large group my wife, Tracy, loves to tell a story about how we got into a huge argument while on a date, during our courtship. The reason for the fight? She dropped a “bomb” on me, when she told me she wasn’t a fundamentalist. 'You MUST be a fundamentalist', I insisted. (Those are the only real Christians, after all.) Yet, she refused. As the date ended, I was sad with the knowledge that she wasn’t part of the elect, and that we were CLEARLY spiritually incompatible. For her, it’s one of those stories she LOVES to tell in large groups. For me? It’s one of those stories that makes me want to crawl under a rock and stay put until humanity has successfully sent a manned expedition to Mars, sometime in the mid-2030′s. But, she loves to tell it… I’ve often heard conservative folks refer to liberal folks as “a product of their liberal education”. Well, I was the opposite- a product of too many years mixed in a potent combination of conservative evangelicalism and fundamentalism. I knew every canned answer I was supposed to know. I had all the outward credentials of a good fundamentalist (heck, I was even chairman of my local Republican Party), I read the right authors, I only got my information from Fox News, never missed an opportunity to post on Facebook about abortion or gay marriage, and allowed countless relationships to be alienated because of my broken, no-room-for-error, arrogant, fundamentalist thinking. I had been taught to be a fundamentalist, taught to think in only black and white, guilt and innocence, right versus left… I was a product, not a person. A relationally destructive product… Ironically, I’m more ashamed of my fundamentalist thinking than anything else in my life- because it was the most destructive, both to myself, and others. However, the story has a happy ending- my wife married me anyway, waited patiently, and alas- I am only “formerly fundie”. How I grew to have a life I love instead of a life I secretly hated, was a complicated process. Ironically, I didn’t find freedom from simply walking away from it all- the freedom I found was through actually figuring out who Jesus is, and what he had to say. Instead of walking away from the fire, I dove back in- with the humility and willingness to rediscover God. However, I didn’t arrive at the station enthusiastically. Tracy, my wife, pressured me to go to seminary- something I utterly resisted. I had every excuse in the book, but she always seemed to find a way to thwart my excuses, poke holes in my faulty logic, and leave me with no other option but to walk through the next door. So, we packed up our belongings, and headed to Gordon-Conwell in South Hamilton, Massachusetts. Within days at seminary, I was thoroughly convinced that it was run by a bunch of Satan-loving heretics (after all, everyone seemed to think the idea of a “rapture” was a joke). However, weeks into my first semester I realized that God was big enough to sort things out if I’d simply be quiet, humble, and open to actually learning. And so, I began praying: “God, whatever is true about you, I want to know it.” I must have prayed that prayer a bazillion times, often with the post-script: “… and I don’t care what label that gives me in the end.” With that prayer, my life changed. I found myself humbly wrestling with theology and expressions thereof. I caught myself praying for people while I read their gut-wrenching stories of tragedy in the news. I began to see the teachings of Jesus in a whole other way- as if I had been a Pharisee who had never taken the time to actually understand the meaning behind his parables. I then began a chapter of quietly wrestling with all the things I had secretly wished to wrestle with, but never had a safe place to do so. I came under the wing of an Arminian theologian from Romania who was deeply influential. I connected with folks from the Boston Emergent Cohort, who remain some of the kindest people I’ve ever met. I got to know friends like my friend, Phil, who gave up everything- even their denominational tradition- to love people like Jesus loved. For the first time ever, I was surrounded by people who were the kind of Christians I endeavored to be. The last straw in my fundamentalist paradigm, was a Wednesday evening class entitled “Biblical Justice” with Father Dean Borgman. As a fundamentalist, I had always understood the biblical concept of “justice” synonymous with a God who never misses an opportunity to punish us (after all, the Lord punishes those he loves!). Studying under Father Borgman completed my paradigm shift as I realized that social justice for the poor and oppressed is an activity that must be at the forefront, if one is to actually claim they are following in the way of Jesus. Throw in some Greg Boyd, a little NT Wright, a chat with Brian McLaren, (and maybe some Rob Bell, but I won’t confirm that) and the rest is history. As my wife often summarizes: 'seminary saved our marriage.' And, quite honestly, it saved me. Being a fundamentalist was a miserable, anger filled experience that caused me to defend positions my heart knew were indefensible. It caused me to see people as objects to be converted, immigrants as societal blood-suckers, and anyone with even the slightest liberal sounding opinion to be Satan’s spawn. Today, though my writing may come off as a bit cranky at times, I am happy and content as I embrace a life that simply wants to emulate the loving, inclusive, and non-violent person of Jesus the best that I am able."
The Back Story

Last edited:

WLDB

Senate Member
Jun 24, 2011
Ottawa
yes, and in terms of treating people who are in cults this would be extremely helpful in their rescue. Currently I believe they must at this point be kidnapped and reprogrammed quietly as it is illegal to remove an adult from such a situation.

Well if they want to be there - let them. Id be concerned for children dragged along, not so much the adults.

What would the disorder be? There are people who say that homosexuality is a mental illness, there are others who say liberalism, conservatism etc are mental disorders. Its starting to seem that people just like referring to those they disagree with as being mentally ill.

Maybe for some but I doubt all. People sign up to kill and die for any number of reasons all over the world whether it be their god, country, leaders, family, hell there are probably some who do it just because they enjoy it. Those in the last category probably have a screw lose but the others? I don't know.

Have you seen the documentary The Act of Killing? Its quite disturbing to see how seemingly normal people can do extremely horrible things then afterwards slip back into normal life as if nothing happened. Ive seen interviews of Japanese WW2 veterans who speak quite openly about raping and murdering people for no particular reason while they were in the war then went on to live a quiet normal life when it was over. Temporary insanity? I don't know. They seemed remarkably normal which is part of what is so disturbing about them.

Harikrish

Electoral Member
Sep 2, 2014
It is harder to treat someone after they have already formed their belief system. If Joseph did not tell Jesus he was not his real father, Jesus might have grown up like any normal Jewish child. But the traumatic revelation forced Jesus to search for his real father. Adultery was punishable by death/stoning. So it was unlikely anyone would come forward and admit to being Jesus's real father.

So what was a disturbed child to do? He searched the scriptures and found his true Father and justification for what was later identified as his messiah complex. There is evidence of his early obsession with scriptures. At the age of 12 he was already well versed in the Bible and called the temple his Father's home.

Luke 2:46 After three days they found him in the temple courts, sitting among the teachers, listening to them and asking them questions.
47 Everyone who heard him was amazed at his understanding and his answers.
48 When his parents saw him, they were astonished. His mother said to him, "Son, why have you treated us like this? Your father and I have been anxiously searching for you."
49 "Why were you searching for me?" he asked. "Didn't you know I had to be in my Father's house?"

Last edited: