Priest says women bring violence onto themselves

tay

Hall of Fame Member
May 20, 2012
A CATHOLIC PRIEST has sparked outrage in Italy by claiming that women bring sexual and physical violence on themselves by dressing provocatively and neglecting housework, Italian media are reporting today.

Fr Piero Corsi said in a Christmas message posted on the door of his church in the small parish of San Terenzo, near Lerici and La Spezia in northwest Italy:

more

Priest says women bring sexual and physical violence on themselves

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
This goes to the heart of the matter as to why I gave up on this church long ago.
All I can say is welcome to the twelfth century. Here society is trying to get the
Middle East and Asia to understand the world has changed since the Middle Ages
and the Christians espouse the same nonsense as those they have by and large
been critical of in this social belief.
Personal restraint is the by word here, just because you see a woman does not
mean you have the right to assault her, what part of that does this priest not yet
understand?
I can't believe what I hear sometimes, then again there was that other social and
conservative Christian who gave us his wisdom on "legitimate rape" what ever that
means.
When are these people going to realize we are living in the twenty first century?

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
A Mouse Once Bit My Sister
This goes to the heart of the matter as to why I gave up on this church long ago.
All I can say is welcome to the twelfth century. Here society is trying to get the
Middle East and Asia to understand the world has changed since the Middle Ages
and the Christians espouse the same nonsense as those they have by and large
been critical of in this social belief.
Personal restraint is the by word here, just because you see a woman does not
mean you have the right to assault her, what part of that does this priest not yet
understand?
I can't believe what I hear sometimes, then again there was that other social and
conservative Christian who gave us his wisdom on "legitimate rape" what ever that
means.
When are these people going to realize we are living in the twenty first century?

One priest in a remote Northern Italian community says something that you don't approve of and automatically he speaks for every Christian on the planet.

Forgive me for saying so, but that is some of the most myopic logic that I have ever seen

WLDB

Senate Member
Jun 24, 2011
Ottawa
One priest in a remote Northern Italian community says something that you don't approve of and automatically he speaks for every Christian on the planet.

When speaking at a church as a priest he is representing the Catholic Church. Unless of course someone higher up has said the priest was only giving his own personal opinion.

As for what he said, I don't care if women are walking the streets naked it does not give license to anyone to assault or rape her.

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
Should we get into the othe things said by this church over the last several years
and even that last several centuries? I don't think many Catholics want to go there.
I used to go to Mass and I realized these people were continuing in the same old
belief system as they have done for centuries, Exit I did. its not just the first small
statement made by a humble priest in a remote Italian Village.
The priests are well educated and university educated and immersed in theology
and supposedly sensitivity. its not like we are talking about an uneducated hermit
from the mountains or something.
No I am talking about religious people who think that everyone should believe what
they believe, everyone should dress to their approval and everyone should see the
world of religion from their point of view.
We live in an age where people can dress how they want, and the law states that
others are going to have to comply with the wishes of the citizens when it comes to
being accountable for their behaviour.
It is time religion got with the program, and joined the twenty first century. Its not
the single comment its the general belief that because they believe they are superior
not true of any of us Personally I have many friends who are religious and I have a
lot of respect for them, but when an idiot like this speaks utter nonsense the tolerance
on the bull**it meter is severely strained..

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
Should we get into the othe things said by this church over the last several years
and even that last several centuries?

I understand that one of the other reasons that you don't support the Church is because they once said that the Earth was flat and that the Sun revolved around the Earth.

I can see how your contemporary view of Catholicism would be devastated by such lack of understanding by the church back in the times of Copernicus.

I don't think many Catholics want to go there.

Catholics understand that things in life evolve, just as the Church has over the many hundreds of years of its existence.

This is your problem DG. The notion that you need to brand all of Christianity based on the comments by one Priest in s remote Northern community speaks volumes regarding your levels of tolerance for those that you disagree with.

I used to go to Mass and I realized these people were continuing in the same old
belief system as they have done for centuries, Exit I did.

That's fine.. You don't maintain enough common ground and decided it was not for you, but what you're doing now is solely taking a run at them for any reason that comes down the pipe.

Quite frankly, that is a strong sign of one that is unsure about things

its not just the first small
statement made by a humble priest in a remote Italian Village.

Any examples?

The priests are well educated and university educated and immersed in theology
and supposedly sensitivity. its not like we are talking about an uneducated hermit
from the mountains or something.

Are they not entitled to having opinions on issues?

No I am talking about religious people who think that everyone should believe what
they believe, everyone should dress to their approval and everyone should see the
world of religion from their point of view.

Ironic - this is exactly what you are doing

Agreed. I am all for trying that as well.

A few years back when I lived in Vancouver, a local women's group organized a topless march through Kits to downtown to protest the inequality that men can be topless in public, but women can't (couldn't).

They succeeded in getting the parade route lined with men with their camera equipment at the ready... Sadly, they failed to get suitable legislation in place.

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
I note that to make matters even worse while attempting to extricate himself he took a slam at the gay community as well.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
A CATHOLIC PRIEST has sparked outrage in Italy by claiming that women bring sexual and physical violence on themselves by dressing provocatively and neglecting housework, Italian media are reporting today.

Fr Piero Corsi said in a Christmas message posted on the door of his church in the small parish of San Terenzo, near Lerici and La Spezia in northwest Italy:

more

The ultimate responsibility lies with the abuser and because there are lots of these guys around, a wise woman wouldn't put herself in a situation that could lead to harm. But that doesn't detract from the guilt or blame of the abuser. But then when it comes to matters sexual, priests are possibly not the most reliable authority on the subject.

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
The Catholic Church has been the organ player for the Americans in Central and
South America and they have held back modern thinking and personal progress
of the human race for centuries. When it comes to now and how the church has
evolved it hasn't moved very far from the Spanish Inquisition actually.
Their stand on everything is to resist any and all change as long as possible.
They have had undue influence on governments and society in general.
Taking a run at them no, I am pointing out that it is time for the church to come to
grips with itself and expand its thinking.
The reason religion is losing its influence is that education has debunked most of
the belief system itself. As you put it, the earth is flat, the sun revolves around the
earth, and God made it all in six days. Women have been kept down and in some
cases kept out of the main sacraments in terms of participation, mainly they cannot
be priests what nonsense. Then again priest can't marry, hello we are living in
another time.
I do think the church is an enigma as they also do a lot of good in inner city communities
and especially through St, Vincent De Paul a group I still support.
It is time however for religion in general to step out and embrace the twenty first century.
I would consider the church more favorably if for example the Pope was elected by the
people who support the church instead of a group of unchanging old guys who protect
their own self interest. The old boys club in Rome has to go, and the church must reflect
those who put the money in the collection plate.
I am not against the church in all things I think it has to reflect the values of a changing
society to give it meaning in a modern world.
I used to be a proud Catholic but that has become increasingly difficult in the past twenty or
so years.

eh1eh

Blah Blah Blah
Aug 31, 2006
Under a Lone Palm
Calm down everyone. In 400 years the 'Church' will admit this is wrong...
Like didn't the just pardon Copernicus? See, no problem.

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
The Catholic Church has been the organ player for the Americans in Central and
South America

Watched a show on Discovery about the Aztecs... Sacrificed 80,000 in a three day ritual (annual I might add) to appease their Gods.... Hmmm, I wonder what kind of progressive impact it had on that society?

Say, but why should we stop at the Americas? Europe, Asia and the ME have had plenty of influence from the Vatican... And influence from the Moors, Islam, the mongols, Hannibal and crew, Romans, Greeks, Egyptians, etc, etc, etc..

Interesting that despite all of the aforementioned left behind legacies of advancement (including flat Earth btw), they are mired in death, bloodshed and pillaging.... Funny how you pious folk seem to justify those events, but get your panties all in a bunch when the Catholic Church is mentioned.

Funny how that works, eh?

and they have held back modern thinking and personal progress
of the human race for centuries.

Example?... Oh, that's right; you don't like providing any back-up to your comments when requested

When it comes to now and how the church has
evolved it hasn't moved very far from the Spanish Inquisition actually.

Incorrect. the only perspective that has not evolved is yours

Their stand on everything is to resist any and all change as long as possible.

They are their own organization. Who in the hell are you to dictate what their norms and practices should be... In fact, who says that your morals, ethics and code of practice are somehow 'what ought to be'?

They have had undue influence on governments and society in general.

Like unions maybe?

Taking a run at them no,

Laughing my a$$ off at that one... You don't even realize that you are taking a de facto position that is identical to which you deride the Church

I am pointing out that it is time for the church to come to
grips with itself and expand its thinking.

You don't want to be a part of it, then don't.

The reason religion is losing its influence is that education has debunked most of
the belief system itself.

Like the IPCC and global warming?

You're cracking me up... This is comedy GOLD

As you put it, the earth is flat, the sun revolves around the
earth, and God made it all in six days.

... And it comes down to this... You have no logic to the argument, so you fabricate comments that I (allegedly) made and critique the fiction.

Pretty Sad DG... Pretty sad

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
Thank you Locutus, the last line I initially missed where the old woman suggests this
priest be quiet as there are secrets that he would not want to get out. Ah yes as when
arguing with my relatives, the church always comes back to secrets and stuffing life
into the closet of some kind.
Incidentally I am not raging against the church I just wish it would clean up its act,
it hasn't taken responsibility for its behavior and it passes on its law suits to the parishioners
at every turn.
we must have accountability, as they say once born a Catholic and baptised one is a
member like it or not. Well I think seeing as the Church has a whole political ritual and
is involved on the world scene the members of the church should vote for the leadership
and the direction of the church in its policies.
It is time people quit making excuses for the faithful. The church is not like the estranged
uncle Eddy that no one talks about, its supposed to be a leader spiritually of people and it
has not done its job for some time. Even its moral compass at times appears to be off
course.

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net

more

Man-splanation straight outta the 17th century. Fundie jackass.

Agreed. I am all for trying that as well.
Walking the streets naked (that's a bit spooky) or assaulting and raping (downright scary)?