What is your spiritual net worth?

levanty

Electoral Member
Oct 17, 2011
Montreal, Quebec
The Parable of the Talents (Matthew 25:14-30; Luke 19:12-28)

It is a simple story that our Lord tells here. A man who is preparing to leave on a journey entrusts his possessions to his servants. He distributes his wealth among three servants, apportioned to them on the basis of their abilities. To the first he entrusted five talents, to the second two talents, and to the third one talent. The first two servants quickly set to work with their master’s money. The third servant did not invest his master’s money at all; he dug a hole in the ground and buried his master’s money. When the master returned, the first two eagerly met their master, apparently delighted in the opportunity to multiply their master’s money. Both were commended as “good and faithful servants”; both were rewarded with increased responsibilities in their master’s service; both were invited to share in their master’s joy.
The master’s dealings with the third servant is a very different matter. This servant came to his master with only the talent his master had originally entrusted to him. He did not increase his master’s money at all. In fact, if this were to take place today, that money would likely be worth less, due to inflation. This servant offered a feeble excuse for his conduct. He told his master that he was a harsh and cruel man, a man who was demanding, and who expected gain where he had not labored. He contended that this is why he was afraid to take a risk with any kind of investment. And so he simply hid the money, and now he returned it, without any gain. The master rebuked this slave for being evil and lazy. He took his talent from him, gave it to the one who earned ten, and cast this fellow into outer darkness, where there was weeping and gnashing of teeth.

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
An third century fraudulent gospel written specifically to advance central banking and the old new world order. If you keep the bosses dog while he goes to Mexico is he legally entitled to pups upon his return?

Spade

Ace Poster
Nov 18, 2008
Aether Island
Parables are like poetry; no one knows what the hell they mean.
Here is Patience's reply to the OP taken from Milton's "On His Blindness."
"God doth not need
Either man's work or his own gifts: who best
Bear his mild yoke, they serve him best. His state
Is kingly; thousands at his bidding speed
And post o'er land and ocean without rest:
They also serve who only stand and wait."

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
Stupid servant knew he was going to get his ass punted. He should have beat the master senseless with his own money. What a despicable story. Not surprising, though, considering the source.

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
Nothing like a spiritual rewards Master Card or Visa. How about a Gold card
Every Time you put money in the collection plate the Holy Spirit gives you five
percent back in spiritual reward points. Another way to raise money for the
church. Hey I might be onto something here. Remember God helps those
who help themselves. Think I will apply for an American Express Spiritual
Gold card today.

levanty

Electoral Member
Oct 17, 2011
Montreal, Quebec
I'll let you children chew on that truth for a while. If you need more nuggets, just let me know. I've got lots to share...Jesus said that we must become like little children in order to see/understand the things of God. You can not possibly make sense of it with your limited gray matter. Understanding comes from heart and faith from believing that we can not see. It's all good, no offense taken or sorry to dissappoint.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
I'll let you children chew on that truth for a while. If you need more nuggets, just let me know. I've got lots to share...Jesus said that we must become like little children in order to see/understand the things of God. You can not possibly make sense of it with your limited gray matter. Understanding comes from heart and faith from believing that we can not see. It's all good, no offense taken or sorry to dissappoint.

You are an arrogant prick, aren't you.

The parable has nothing to do with "money", "slavery", or "master/slave" relationships.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving

Check your feet, they are made of clay the same as everyone else. Taking snippets etc from the Bible and then state you will be back later to explain it to us imbecilic creatures that you have clearly stated such is who you are posting for. Arrogance and those that think highly of themselves.

Look for the Biblical references on those Buckey. The future does not bode well for you.

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Halifax, NS & Melbourne, VIC
The Parable of the Talents (Matthew 25:14-30; Luke 19:12-28)

It is a simple story that our Lord tells here. A man who is preparing to leave on a journey entrusts his possessions to his servants. He distributes his wealth among three servants, apportioned to them on the basis of their abilities. To the first he entrusted five talents, to the second two talents, and to the third one talent. The first two servants quickly set to work with their master’s money. The third servant did not invest his master’s money at all; he dug a hole in the ground and buried his master’s money. When the master returned, the first two eagerly met their master, apparently delighted in the opportunity to multiply their master’s money. Both were commended as “good and faithful servants”; both were rewarded with increased responsibilities in their master’s service; both were invited to share in their master’s joy.
The master’s dealings with the third servant is a very different matter. This servant came to his master with only the talent his master had originally entrusted to him. He did not increase his master’s money at all. In fact, if this were to take place today, that money would likely be worth less, due to inflation. This servant offered a feeble excuse for his conduct. He told his master that he was a harsh and cruel man, a man who was demanding, and who expected gain where he had not labored. He contended that this is why he was afraid to take a risk with any kind of investment. And so he simply hid the money, and now he returned it, without any gain. The master rebuked this slave for being evil and lazy. He took his talent from him, gave it to the one who earned ten, and cast this fellow into outer darkness, where there was weeping and gnashing of teeth.

Ah, I remember this story back when I was a kid going to church..... ah good times. (Not really)

Don't ever speak the truth or what's on your mind, or you will never be rewarded. If you are given material possessions to take care of from someone else who holds authority over your life, you are expected to do a bunch of work and make sure their material possessions are increased in their amount/value to make that person have more profit/value without doing any work of their own to achieve this. If you do all of this, you will be rewarded with even more work to do for your "Master" and can bask in his happiness..... (wow, such a reward, give me some of that) if you don't and if you express your honest (yet feeble) opinion of how much of a douche bag your "Master" is, you'll be thrown out on your ass.

The Moral of the Story?

If your pr*ck of a "Master" hands you money to take care of because he is going on a vacation from all that hard work that you do...... take the money & run, and sleep with his wife while you're at it.... you deserve it..... and your Master deserves it too.

At least that's how the story makes sense to me. :read:

Also Known As:

We must be like little children.... gullible & impressionable so we can believe stories like Humpty Dumpty, the Magic Beanstalk, the Tooth Fairy, the Easter Bunny and Ninja Turtles living in the Sewers.

Only then when we believe magical beings such as those exist, can we believe that God exists.

Yeah..... and the Goblin King exists too

"You remind me of the baby... What baby? the baby with the power.... What power? power of voodoo... Who do? you do..... Do what? remind me of the baby"

Spade

Ace Poster
Nov 18, 2008
Aether Island
From the sacred texts of Buddhism.

"THE Blessed One having attained Buddhahood while resting under the shepherd's Nigrodha tree on the banks of the river Neranjara, pronounced this solemn utterance:

"How sure his pathway in this wood,
Who follows truth's unchanging call!
How blessed, to be kind and good,
And practice self-restraint in all!
How light, from passion to be free,
And sensual joys to let go by!
And yet his greatest bliss will be
When he has quelled the pride of 'I'.

In Between Man

The Biblical Position
Sep 11, 2008
49° 19' N, 123° 4' W
You are an arrogant prick, aren't you.

The parable has nothing to do with "money", "slavery", or "master/slave" relationships.

Wow. 8O

Why don't you explain what you think the parable does mean rather than insult members AGAIN. I suppose you think you have impunity because you personally know certain long time members here don't you?

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
Wow. 8O

Why don't you explain what you think the parable does mean rather than insult members AGAIN. I suppose you think you have impunity because you personally know certain long time members here don't you?

If you have a problem with me, then just ignore me. I call a spade a spade, and I really don't give a shyte if you or anyone else doesn't like my bluntness.

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
Wow. 8O

I don't think anyone thinks gerry has impunity, he's been on time out more times than I can remember. But he's still allowed to have opinions, he just states his in rather unprettified ways. Doesn't make them less valuable than mine. Or yours.