Please Remove That Canadian Flag From Your Desk

Scott Free

House Member
May 9, 2007
BC
Good, nations states are constructs meant to confine people and prop up elite authority. She`ll be better off without it.

BTW - hi, I`m the moody and sometimes nasty Scott Free ;-)

TreeGirl

May 29, 2009
Canada
We all have those days .......so much for freedom of choice or expression. Hello and Thank you. I am still learning this mess of a world. You really think she will be better off without it. I hope she has the cahunas to stick up for herself.
Well moody is good , interesting at times means you won't go down without a good fight. Nasty ....well ok. I am a polite Canadian. Kill them with kindness. Don't be toooo nasty. Ever work for Wal Mart?

Scott Free

House Member
May 9, 2007
BC
You`re right about the freedom of speech but yes, I do think she would be better off. I think nationalism allows our country and it`s corporate masters to get away with too much. People need a broader humanist view of the world instead of seeing things through flag coloured glasses.

The main purpose of patriotism is to prop up a power grid and confinement technologies. It isn`t a conspiracy just a self propelled system. We are our own oppressors.

TreeGirl

May 29, 2009
Canada
I look at the flag as what my grandfather went to War for and to pay respect to those that lost life for those "so called" freedoms that we are enjoying on this site as we speek. Humanist View. Flag colored glasses ....could we market that one?

Patriotic yes a Proud Canadian. Well , look at Obama he even had to stop and get a little Canadian tail before he went back home. It only cost Canada 4 Million for that lunch. We need to prop up the Power grid of Canada !!!! Get that pride back. Unfortunately yes the monetary economics of it all. Humanist we as one looking out for each other completely. To Dream. Was that on Zeitgeist? Yes we dig our own holes but what of the strength in a Nation for our futures to build upon for those that follow our troden path.

Scott Free

House Member
May 9, 2007
BC
I look at the flag as what my grandfather went to War for and to pay respect to those that lost life for those "so called" freedoms that we are enjoying on this site as we speek. Humanist View. Flag colored glasses ....could we market that one?

Patriotic yes a Proud Canadian. Well , look at Obama he even had to stop and get a little Canadian tail before he went back home. It only cost Canada 4 Million for that lunch. We need to prop up the Power grid of Canada !!!! Get that pride back. Unfortunately yes the monetary economics of it all. Humanist we as one looking out for each other completely. To Dream. Was that on Zeitgeist? Yes we dig our own holes but what of the strength in a Nation for our futures to build upon for those that follow our troden path.

Fair enough.

I don`t share that view only because the early theory of state had a different intent. What you are talking about is the sales pitch. I agree it sounds good in principle but when I look around at the state of the world I can`t help but think the original intentions are the reality.

BTW, I like screeds so please speech away.

TreeGirl

May 29, 2009
Canada
She was not following someone elses so called view of how it should be ..for all. Good Nation states. Well, take away pride strip them of all thought of their own.
Is that not a sign of abuse. Realities can be changed. State of the world who is going to fix it....the little guy. Average Joe. The big guys that dig the holes they just keep on digging.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
On the News. A woman has been asked to Remove her Canadian Flag From her work desk?:angry3:

Sounds like a case for one of our Human Rights Kangaroo courts. You didn't give us much info. Does she work in a branch plant of some foreign power like England? Or is her boss a commie?
I don't have a desk I doubt my boss would object to my flying the flag from my machine. Too bad for him if he didn't like it anyway.

TreeGirl

May 29, 2009
Canada
My granfather passed away a while ago. We did Morse code all over the world :) There was a lot of Canadian Pride in that home.

SirJosephPorter

Time Out
Nov 7, 2008
Ontario
On the News. A woman has been asked to Remove her Canadian Flag From her work desk?:angry3:

Welcome to the forum, TreeGirl. Regarding the news item, are you sure of it? The reason I ask is that I saw a similar news item on TV the other day about US flag.

A woman in Texas was asked to remove US flag from her work place. The two news items sound suspiciously similar. So again, are you sure of the news item? Or are you confusing US flag with Canadian flag? Do you have a link to it?

Texas Woman Told to Remove 'Offensive' American Flag From Office - Local News | News Articles | National News | US News - FOXNews.com

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
I guess I'd have to ask what issues we are compelled to force an employer to allow decorations for.

National pride is a BIG thing. It's something we can all share (even though I do understand to a degree where Scott is coming from). But, even more proud for me would be pictures of my kids. Even more proud for my cousin would be symbols of gay pride. Feathers for native people. Buddhist statues for religious people. All are deserving aspects, things we have a right to be proud of and to showcase as much as our nationality. Should workplaces be subjected to it?

Personally I can't see any instance where a national flag on a desk in that nation, no matter which nation (since I seem to recall a recent news blurb about this having happened in the US) requires such an action from the management. But, I can also see where the policy would be derived from.

Niflmir

A modern nomad
Dec 18, 2006
Leiden, the Netherlands
I'm with Sir JP on this one. Link or it didn't happen. All I get when I look it up is the Texas case.

If its just the Texas case, keep in mind this was a 3x5 foot montrosity that was hung in a shared office, shared with three others it seems, one of which thought the flag was too big and asked to have it removed. It wasn't the employer. I'd want to be counseled before my office mates hung something like that up.

SirJosephPorter

Time Out
Nov 7, 2008
Ontario
Niflmir, I also understand that in the Texas case she was allowed to put the flag back on her desk again, the authorities backed down.

That is why I am interested in whether there was such a case in Canada or whether TreeGirl is confusing the American case as having occurred in Canada. If that is the case, the whole question is moot, there is nothing to discuss. The issue was resolved in favour of the woman.

Unforgiven

Force majeure
May 28, 2007
I think someone is confused as can be here. Welcome aboard anyway. Your Grandpa fought a war for a flag? heh heh

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
"Clear your head new guy...you think we waste ****s for freedom? This is a slaughter" - Full Metal Jacket