"bad" police shoot another "good"..........

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Halifax, NS & Melbourne, VIC
In addition to a public inquiry into the conduct of the Winnipeg police, native leaders called on the provincial government to establish an aboriginal police commission, an aboriginal justice college to train native workers in the justice system, and an independent police complaints agency to replace the current Law Enforcement Review Agency.

The government should also create a permanent special investigations unit, including First Nations representatives, to investigate cases such as McDougall's shooting, they said.

The chiefs vowed to hold "further legal and political actions," and said they will file formal complaints to Manitoba's Human Rights Commission and the United Nations.

As well they should.

"Officers have to make split-second decisions in these types of incidents," she said Sunday. "They felt that they had to protect themselves. They had to protect the people around them, the public. And at that point, they had to escalate to a higher level of force.

Yeah just like they had to make a split second decision on Robert in Vancouver Airport.

"Our officers don't make the choice to use their firearms lightly. If they chose to in this instance, it's because they were forced to," she added.

Yeah, normally one would "Expect" that to occur, however she doesn't know what the hell occured in this situation until it's fully investigated, so she can't just blanket the situation with a protocol explination like she just did.

They might have had no other choice..... then again, they could have been racist pig heads.... who knows?

All I know is that I have seen other situations where they deployed the taser on someone they didn't need to, such as the old man in a hospital who wouldn't put down a knife because he was delerious and they were quoted as saying "Just taser him, we have more important things to do tonight." and with this situation they shot him.

Here's a question:

Who gives a crap how many times they have to tell him to put down a knife? If he's holding a knife, and not making any advances towards anybody, then you continue with talking him down.

But then again, we'll just have to wait until more information is available.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
As well they should.

Yeah just like they had to make a split second decision on Robert in Vancouver Airport.

Yeah, normally one would "Expect" that to occur, however she doesn't know what the hell occured in this situation until it's fully investigated, so she can't just blanket the situation with a protocol explination like she just did.

They might have had no other choice..... then again, they could have been racist pig heads.... who knows?

All I know is that I have seen other situations where they deployed the taser on someone they didn't need to, such as the old man in a hospital who wouldn't put down a knife because he was delerious and they were quoted as saying "Just taser him, we have more important things to do tonight." and with this situation they shot him.

Here's a question:

Who gives a crap how many times they have to tell him to put down a knife? If he's holding a knife, and not making any advances towards anybody, then you continue with talking him down.

But then again, we'll just have to wait until more information is available.

They did try to Taser him......the Taser "failed" according to the article I read. I'm not sure what that means, but it could be a number of things.....one of the electrodes missed, the weapon was not working properly. whatever.

i agree this was a perfect situation for a Taser.....if the damn thing had worked.

I also agree that sometimes the police overstep the boundaries, like they did at the Vancouver Airport.......and when they do, and someone dies, they should be held criminally responsible.

At that point we part company. A knife is a very dangerous weapon......in some ways, more dangerous to an officer than a handgun, as a knife easily penetrates bullet-proof vests. (yep, that is correct.....kevlar body armour provides NO protection from edged weapons)

It takes a fit man 1 and 1/2 seconds to cover 25',.........the standard I taught was if he is within 25 feet and threatening and armed with a knife?

Shoot him.

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Halifax, NS & Melbourne, VIC
How many times does a cop have to say "drop the knife", before the command is understood?

8O

Perhaps the kid was afraid he was going to be beaten by the police or something.... apparently they have a load of mistrust for the police due to situations like the suspected car thief being killed (for stealing a car?) and the sort.

On the flip side, the police are also having their own cases where officers are being killed in remote areas.

I only see one solution.... to get natives in the police force to patrol their own neighborhoods.... at least they can relate, talk the talk and reduce situations like this (in theory)

I mean, for the most part, native reserves and other types of areas where the majority of the population is native, the rest of the nation/proviences leave them to their ways...... then comes in the RCMP/Police for whatever reason who don't relate to the people all that well, and we have crap like this happen.

Like I said, it's unknown who is to directly blame for the overall situation, but I can bet that if you have natives and the like policing their own neighborhoods, like they govern them, this sort of thing wouldn't happen as often or as bad as they do.