B.C. premier suggests she smoked pot

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com
B.C. premier suggests she smoked pot

But Christy Clark said she would not lobby Ottawa for marijuana decriminalization

Premier Christy Clark has virtually admitted she smoked pot in her high school days, but says that doesn't mean she's about to lobby the federal government to loosen Canada's marijuana laws.

Clark said she attended high school in suburban Vancouver nearly 30 years ago and that students smoked pot regularly.

“I graduated from Burnaby South Senior Secondary in 1983 and there was a lot of that going on when I was in high school and I didn't avoid it altogether,” Clark said.

Clark said her priorities as premier are creating jobs and helping families and that she'll leave changing the pot laws to Ottawa even though several high-profile British Columbians have called for the decriminalization of marijuana laws.

Mayors from eight B.C. communities, including Vancouver, North Vancouver and Burnaby, sent a letter to Clark, Opposition Leader Adrian Dix and B.C. Conservative Leader John Cummins Apr. 26, urging them to support the decriminalization, regulation and taxation of marijuana in the province.

Dix has already said he smoked some pot in his youth, but, like Clark, says he wasn't a pothead.

Justice critic Leonard Krog says most British Columbians likely don't care that the premier has smoked marijuana, but surveys suggest the majority of residents favour relaxed pot laws.