NDP holds final debate before leadership vote

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com

The seven federal NDP leadership hopefuls square off against each other for the last time on Sunday before the party's leadership convention later this month, with a debate in Vancouver.

When the race started there were nine leadership candidates vying to lead the official Opposition and take over from interim party leader Nycole Turmel. Now, seven are left: Niki Ashton, Nathan Cullen, Paul Dewar, Thomas Mulcair, Peggy Nash, Martin Singh and Brian Topp.

British Columbia will play a big role in electing a successor to Jack Layton, who died of cancer last August. The province is home to roughly one-third of the party's 128,351 members, the largest such group in the country.

"This is the most important debate within the six-mohth leadership contest. This is the last opportunity candidates will have to make their direct appeal to the membership and to the country," Brad Lavigne, principal secretary for the NDP leader, told CBC News.

"This is their closing argument, and I think you'll see if anybody wants to shake things up, it will be during today's debate."

Michael Prince, a professor with the University of Victoria, said members are asking themselves whether they should support candidates who want the party to stick to its core social democratric principles, or get behind those who want to modernize it to attract more voters.

Prince said New Democrats are asking, "How do we woo those disaffected Liberals to stay with us or come to us?"

"So there's a really fundamental debate there about strategy and the direction of the party," he told CBC News.

Prince said this issue came up when Layton won the leadership himself in 2003, and he said talk of moving in a new direction likely would have come up as well, if Layton had lived, as the party approached the next election, with the hope of forming the government.

New Democrats are currently in the process of mailing in their ballots or voting online. Those who attend the leaderhisp convention in Toronto — and some 3,000 are expected to turn up — will be able to vote there.

The new leader will be announced at the Metro Toronto Convention Centre on March 24.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
I heard an interview with Niki Ashton on CBC a few days ago on CBC. If she is an example of the wanna bees there is no danger of the dippers ever forming a government or even official opposition again. Totally lost in far left field.

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
I heard an interview with Niki Ashton on CBC a few days ago on CBC. If she is an example of the wanna bees there is no danger of the dippers ever forming a government or even official opposition again. Totally lost in far left field.

Don't worry, the CPC won't be losing the next election to Niki Ashton, lol

skookumchuck

Council Member
Jan 19, 2012
Van Isle
The Quebec and Canadian flags intermingled. Will they have the Canadian and BC flags? Why any provincial flag flanking a federal party? Have they tried the Alberta flag? Blatant pandering to paybec.

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
The Quebec and Canadian flags intermingled. Will they have the Canadian and BC flags? Why any provincial flag flanking a federal party? Have they tried the Alberta flag? Blatant pandering to paybec.

Avert your eyes skookumchuck, you may just upchuck:

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
I seems to have changed itself to 'Senate Member'

Looks like I got a raise

Hm.. you should still be able to manually change it if you want.

Anyway, I guess it was just extremely ironic that you labelled yourself as a Bloc fan considering how far right you are.

skookumchuck

Council Member
Jan 19, 2012
Van Isle
Were those pics from the leadership race? It is still pandering to paybec regardless of party. If i appear to have a conservative view at times, that does not mean i endorse anyone. Simply that i do not drink the koolaid, even with a Union Jack on the vessel.

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
Were those pics from the leadership race?

Does it matter? All politicians in Quebec or who have a horse in the races in Quebec who care about being elected will stand in front of both flags...afterall the Harper government declared them a Nation...pretty hard to step back from that now.

skookumchuck

Council Member
Jan 19, 2012
Van Isle
Does it matter? All politicians in Quebec or who have a horse in the races in Quebec who care about being elected will stand in front of both flags...afterall the Harper government declared them a Nation...pretty hard to step back from that now.

Agreed. I would prefer to have had the Cajuns but since that is redundant. It seems only fair to give paybec it's wish.