Golf industry pushes for tax deductions

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
Golf industry pushes for tax deductions
Want golf fees allowable business expense in federal budget

Golf groups in P.E.I. and across the country are calling on the federal government to recognize green fees as a business expense, just like other business entertainment.

"We're really just asking for a fair level playing field to compete with everyone else," said Jeff Calderwood, of the National Allied Golf Associations.

As it stands, when business owners entertain their clients, they can write off several other entertainment expenses, such as season tickets, restaurant bills, and party room rentals.

But golf is not currently included on the list of allowable business expenses.

"You have business people intentionally going to NHL games, skiing, anything you can name and avoiding golf because now, in a tighter economy, they have to watch their bottom line and want appropriate allowable deduction for the cost of doing business, such as entertaining clients," said Calderwood.

Golf advocates argue they're being treated unfairly and are looking to this spring's federal budget to change that.

The industry wants to see a 50 per cent tax deduction for green fees and golf cart rentals, which could cost up to $20 million.

An NDP MP from British Columbia is putting forward a private member's bill supporting the golf deduction idea.

The P.E.I. Golf Association agrees with the lobby effort.

"The industry needs some stimulus to capture lost business…help the convention business," said executive director Ron MacNeil.

Normally, golf is a $100-million industry that employs about 500 people on the island, said MacNeil.

But the past few years have been difficult, with business down an estimated 25 per cent, he said.

Could backfire

Still, one tax law expert believes the proposal could backfire on the golf industry — and the entertainment industry as a whole.

"A policy maker, or member of the public might say, 'Why don't we level the playing field by reducing deductibility for all those types of expenses where we know there's a big element of personal enjoyment?'

"And it really feeds a sense of unfairness among taxpayers who don't get to have tax deductible recreation pursuits," said Lisa Philipps, a tax law professor at York University’s Osgoode Hall in Toronto.

Wayne Easter, the Liberal MP for Malpeque, and Gail Shea, the National Revenue Minister and Conservative MP for Egmont, said they don't support the proposal.

The Island's other two Liberal MPs did not reply to requests for comment.

Golf industry pushes for tax deductions - Prince Edward Island - CBC News

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
I would think that the last thing a golfer wants is a level playing field.

That would be like golfing on a football field.

Personally, I think this is a bad idea, but I also think that restaurants shouldn't be tax deductible either. If you want to court a client, you should pay for it out of your own pocket (or the company's).

Last edited:

Spade

Ace Poster
Nov 18, 2008
Aether Island
Golf yes; horseshoes, parcheesi, quoits, darts, wicked city women, and mumble-de-peg NO!

Look, these expenses are a way of passing the expense of your pleasure onto the ordinary taxpayer. Clever if you can do it; moral, not so much...

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
I'm all in favour of anything that makes other people pay for my golf addiction. It's only fair since they are starting to give crack addicts safe injection sites.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Golf yes; horseshoes, parcheesi, quoits, darts, wicked city women, and mumble-de-peg NO!

Look, these expenses are a way of passing the expense of your pleasure onto the ordinary taxpayer. Clever if you can do it; moral, not so much...

Mumble de peg!!!!!!!!!!!!!! There's one I haven't heard of for awhile. Where does one go about joining that club? What skills are required?

I'm all in favour of anything that makes other people pay for my golf addiction. It's only fair since they are starting to give crack addicts safe injection sites.

I was told that "golf addiction" is a classic first sign of a feeble mind!

Spade

Ace Poster
Nov 18, 2008
Aether Island
Mumble de peg!!!!!!!!!!!!!! There's one I haven't heard of for awhile. Where does one go about joining that club? What skills are required?

When I was a mere tad on the prairie, we used to play, by the hour, a game with jack knives. We called the game "knife" but its proper name is "mumble de peg." The game consists of a series of knife flips from various parts of the body. When flipped, the knife has to stick in the dirt with the handle upright. Each move has a name: spank the baby, over the world, chase the cow, stick the pig, and so on. I am uncertain whether urchins with knives play this game today...

But, a tax write-off would be nice just to cover bandages.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
Yeah, I don't see that happening. If I remember correctly, it used to be included as a deductible business expense (at whatever the percentage was at the time) but there was found to be too much abuse, so they nixed it.

Spade

Ace Poster
Nov 18, 2008
Aether Island
Big money-makers in the NHL are skyboxes - write-offs paid for by the non-attending taxpayer. Also, many firms have tickets, especially in the reds, they claim as tax deductions.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
Nope. I'm not into gov't subsidizing big biz. Can't they advertise, court clients, etc. on their own? If they can't they should learn how to instead of sucking the public teat.

It's not really subsidizing though. Unless of course you feel that payroll is also subsidy, along with cost of sales, operating expenses, insurance, rent, etc, etc. Businesses are taxed on net income. And not just large corporations, this is the small business owner as well.