How Canada's AAA credit rating hurts workers

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
How Canada's AAA credit rating hurts workers - Business - CBC News

How to solve this problem?

One option I could see would be to remove the minimum wage and counterbalance it with German-style co-determination legislation.

The lack of a minimum wage would allow workers to negotiate lower wages if necessary while co-determination would also allow them to push upper management for similar cuts or even deeper cuts.

After all, a low wage is still preferable to no wage, right.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
The lack of a minimum wage would allow workers to negotiate lower wages if necessary while co-determination would also allow them to push upper management for similar cuts or even deeper cuts.

I'm speechless.......

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
I'm speechless.......

Common sense can be amazing sometimes.

having the government ask a higher price for our crown resources would likely help to lower the value of the dolalr too which in turn would help book the export of manufactured goods.

Greater government investment on education for the unemployed could also help to make them more able to counteract the higher dollar by increasing productivity.

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
A Mouse Once Bit My Sister
One option I could see would be to remove the minimum wage and counterbalance it with German-style co-determination legislation.

How about this... The workers can get their money together and buy/build their own business and pay themselves whatever they want.

This way, there is no 'management', just equality and fairness for all.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
Why would anyone WANT to depreciate their entire nation's wealth and currency?

If the currency is artificially too high, it leads to unemployment.

How about this... The workers can get their money together and buy/build their own business and pay themselves whatever they want.

This way, there is no 'management', just equality and fairness for all.

That's something they can do already. However those who don't have the money to do that are essentially legislated out of the workforce by minimum wages ironically intended to help them.

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
Why would anyone WANT to depreciate their entire nation's wealth and currency?

'Cause having a top credit rating is detrimental (apparently)... Why, everyone knows that you're better-off getting a home mortgage with a crappy rating is far superior than getting the best rates with a top rating. Who wants to save that pesky, dirty money anyways. Better that the lenders have it.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
'Cause having a top credit rating is detrimental (apparently)... Why, everyone knows that you're better-off getting a home mortgage with a crappy rating is far superior than getting the best rates with a top rating. Who wants to save that pesky, dirty money anyways. Better that the lenders have it.

We should keep our AAA rating of course. And keep our wealth. However, there is a reality that a stronger currency will make it more difficult to export products.

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
That's something they can do already.

Then, why don't they?

However those who don't have the money to do that are essentially legislated out of the workforce by minimum wages ironically intended to help them.

Legislated out of the opportunity and out of the workforce?

Wow, I've never seen that kinda spin from the far left before.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
Then, why don't they?

Legislated out of the opportunity and out of the workforce?

Wow, I've never seen that kinda spin from the far left before.

The far left supports eliminating the minimum wage? I thought that would be more of a "far-right" thing, no?

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
We should keep our AAA rating of course. And keep our wealth. However, there is a reality that a stronger currency will make it more difficult to export products.

.. And exporting resources with a low dollar puts fewer dollars in people's pockets that do not go nearly as far in terms of dealing with the cost of living.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
.. And exporting resources with a low dollar puts fewer dollars in people's pockets that do not go nearly as far in terms of dealing with the cost of living.

Then if we intend to keep a high dollar, then let's also remove the minimum wage as a short term solution and expand trades and professional training programmes for the unemployed so that they can better compete with a high dollar.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
How Canada's AAA credit rating hurts workers - Business - CBC News

How to solve this problem?

Not if your low wage is less than welfare pays.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
Not if your low wage is less than welfare pays.

If welfare is insufficient, then raise it, if appropriate of course. Also, providing free trades or professional education for the unemployed, under-employede or underpaid might solve that problem too. But while they're waiting for training, at least they can continue to work in the mean time.

Honestly though, the minimum wage is much higher than welfare I'm sure, so how can the government deny a person the right to work at less than minimum wage but then refuse itself to pay him minimum wage.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
single mother with one child on welfare makes a HELL of a lot more than minimum wage. A HELL of a lot more.