Layton plans to push Tories to strengthen pensions

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010

VANCOUVER — Jack Layton wants provincial premiers on side as his New Democrats use their newfound status in Parliament to push for strengthened public pensions.

The newly-minted leader of Canada's Official Opposition gave his first major speech Thursday since his party's stunning election result last week, saying the NDP will tackle the "looming retirement security crisis" when Parliament resumes. "Regardless of which party you represent," he said, addressing the premiers, "when it comes to strengthening pensions, you have an ally in Ottawa."

Layton was speaking in front of a euphoric crowd of 2,400 delegates to the Canadian Labour Congress convention. He told reporters later that his strategy for improving the Canada Pension Plan will be to rally support from policymakers, like the premiers, and the grassroots.

He described his party's Opposition status as the largest in 31 years. "The first thing is to work with people across the country to put pressure on the Stephen Harper government when they're not doing the right thing," Layton said in explaining how he plans to ensure the NDP agenda doesn't manifest as just noise across the floor.

Analysts have suggested that despite having more seats, the party might find it actually has less ability to exert influence now that the Tories have a majority. The NDP wracked up triple the seats won by the former Opposition Liberals during the election earlier this month.

Layton said getting the concerns of middle-class families and seniors heard by the government will be his party's chief focus, and that starts with pension reform. "When Canadians across the country and other leaders, for example provincial premiers, and others are pushing for that kind of change at the same time as we are in the House of Commons and across the country, you can make governments move. We've seen this before."

But despite his optimistic outlook, Layton grew prickly when asked point blank if, for the next election, he would ensure all his party's candidates had been to their ridings.

"That's a completely hypothetical question," Layton snapped before diverting to the next question.

Ruth Ellen Brosseau conducted a carefully managed visit to her Quebec riding for the first time Wednesday. She had been criticized for never having been there before and for taking a family holiday in the middle of the campaign.

Layton also manoeuvred around a question asking how he'd get his new Quebec caucus to sell his pension proposal there, when the province has been reluctant to agree to an expansion of the Quebec Pension Plan. "We're very optimistic that a way can be developed to have both of those pension plans improved, working in a very collaborative fashion," he replied, noting he believed Quebeckers backed his party so strongly in the election because action on pensions was a key plank.

The NDP favours an expansion of the Canada Pension Plan so that benefits eventually double.

The Conservatives prefer a private-sector solution that would relax rules for financial institutions, allowing them to offer more options at affordable rates, especially to people who are not covered by workplace pensions right now.

Harper wanted mandatory expansion of the CPP a year ago, but has since backed off that position, arguing the necessary provincial support hasn't materialized. Many provinces have suggested they do want action on the CPP, excluding Alberta and Quebec.

In his only other public appearance since the election, Layton told a popular Quebec talk show his priorities for the next parliamentary session include tabling legislation that protects French-speaking employees in federally regulated industries.

Layton plans to push Tories to strengthen pensions - CTV News

Durry

House Member
May 18, 2010
Canada
The NDs are getting paid waaaaay too much for what they do.
Imagine getting paid $150k/yr+ plus all expenses. This is far too high, no one in the private sector makes this much for doing nothing except complaining.
They carry absolutely no responsibility, none, just complain!!

They should lower their pay to about $75k/ yr +expenses. The rest can go to pensions for Canadians.
This is more than enough, otherwise they can quit.

Layton likes to flap his lips on what everybody else should do, but in the economy down turn in 2008/9 you didn't see him offering to take a pay cut when everybody else was getting laid off!! I think Jack is a real sleeze bag!!!

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
Big question: WHo pays? This has always been a big problem with our pension system. You do not have to pay into it for life to get maximum benefits. Now it is one thing to raise rates now and in say 10 years higher benefits begin to be paid out but to start paying out higher rates now before more money is put in will just be one more goody for the gimme generation at the expense of our grandchildren. We need to learn to live within our means, not play now pay later.

earth_as_one

Time Out
Jan 5, 2006
Imagine getting paid $150k/yr+ plus all expenses. This is far too high, no one in the private sector makes this much for doing nothing except complaining.

They should lower their pay to about $75k/ yr +expenses. The rest can go to pensions for Canadians.

Layton likes to flap his lips on what everybody else should do, but in the economy down turn in 2008/9 you didn't see him offering to take a pay cut when everybody else was getting laid off!! I think Jack is a real sleeze bag!!!

I didn't see any MPs offering to take a pay cut. Why would you expect only NDP MPs to take a pay cut?

Regarding the rest of your post, I bet you don't know a single MP personally. You certainly have no idea of what these people do. The responsibilities of opposition MPs include watching the government and ensuring that billions in Canadian tax dollars are spent wisely. When the opposition disagrees with what the government is doing, they inform the general public so we can make informed choices the next time we vote. IMO, MPs are fairly compensated. Their expenses include traveling between their ridings and Ottawa. I think its important for MPs to maintain a presence in their ridings, since another one of their responsibilities is to represent the interests of their constituents.

Part of the reason why we had an election recently is because the Conservatives were withholding vital information that opposition MPs needed to do their job. That's why the Conservatives were found in contempt of Parliament. Now that Canadians gave Conservatives a majority, they can with hold this information, keeping their activities secret from the opposition and as a result Canadians, without being found in contempt of Parliament. Do you support the Canadian government operating in secret?

Durry

House Member
May 18, 2010
Canada
Hahaha, yeah, we need 100+ mp's making over $150k / yr + telling us how the gov is spending our money. Hahaha, the MPs that are there probably can't even balance their own expense account. Bunch of useless tits !!!

Contempt ??? Not by an unbiased judge, it's like a judge finding a person guilty because the judge wants to use the guilty persons summer cottage. Hahaha, contempt , what a joke.

You must be a gov beaucrat or just Plain stupid on gov affairs and how the gov really operates!!

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.

VANCOUVER — Jack Layton wants provincial premiers on side as his New Democrats use their newfound status in Parliament to push for strengthened public pensions.

QUOTE]

I'm fully in agreement with increasing pensions which could be easily done by taking the premiums out of the employees pay.

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
Hahaha, yeah, we need 100+ mp's making over $150k / yr + telling us how the gov is spending our money. Hahaha, the MPs that are there probably can't even balance their own expense account. Bunch of useless tits !!!

Contempt ??? Not by an unbiased judge, it's like a judge finding a person guilty because the judge wants to use the guilty persons summer cottage. Hahaha, contempt , what a joke.

You must be a gov beaucrat or just Plain stupid on gov affairs and how the gov really operates!!

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury

Why don't you teach us how government operates, oh wise one....

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
I'm not really for the government raising pensions, but if it must, then let's at least do it properly. Again, I'm not really for it, but if it must be done, then the way I'd go about it would be to say for example that all Canadians under age 70 must lock 10% of their earnings into a personal retirement savings fund, to be unlocked at the age of 70. Or something of the sort. After all, the money must come from somewhere, so if the government is to give me more money at retirement, it would seem to make sense to me that I should then be required to save more before retirment so that it could just give my money back to me.

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006

Sure there are. Their uniforms are blue and white. Right now, most of them are likely golfing.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
Now if Layton were talking less about raising pensions, and more about some kind of compulsory savings scheme and more trades and professional education for the unemployed so that they can get back into the workforce so as to start earning and saving, he might sound more credible. At least then he'd have a plan on where that money would come from. Right now he talks about raising funding, but not on raising revenue for it.

PoliticalNick

The Troll Bashing Troll
Mar 8, 2011
Edson, AB

You really are a stupid f*ck aren't you? Would you be crying for the same reduction if the cons were in the opposition seat or would you call their job important?
The official opposition has a very important job no matter who is in power and who is the opposition, to make sure the party in power doesn't run roughshod over the people. You seem to forget that each of the 308 MPs has the job to represent their individual constituents and the house of commons, no matter which party is in power, represents all canadians including those that voted against them.

Durry

House Member
May 18, 2010
Canada
Yeah, right, the NDr who represents a French riding but doesn't know how to speak French will do a great job for her riding. Maybe she will be able to serve them French beer !!

Speaking of stupid fks !!

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
Yeah, right, the NDr who represents a French riding but doesn't know how to speak French will do a great job for her riding. Maybe she will be able to serve them French beer !!

Actually, I saw her on SRC RDI (a French-language channel) last night, and her French is not that bad. She does make minor grammatical errors and has an English accent, but otherwise was functioning quite well. Bear in mind though she was merely greeting people and engaging in chit chat. How well she'll perform discussing scientific, legal, philosophical, religious, technological, environmental and other issues in the French language remains to be seen.

Durry

House Member
May 18, 2010
Canada
. How well she'll perform discussing scientific, legal, philosophical, religious, technological, environmental and other issues in the French language remains to be seen.
She has no education on any of these issues, so shell have nothing to contribute.

Besides, an opposition back bencher can do very little for their riding except maybe know who to contact in gov to help them with their problem.

I maintain, they are waaaaay over paid for what they contibute and responsibilities they undertake ( which is mostly none).

Remember the avg salary in Canada is about $50k / yr, these people are making over three times that. And no education is required!!

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
She has no education on any of these issues, so shell have nothing to contribute.

Besides, an opposition back bencher can do very little for their riding except maybe know who to contact in gov to help them with their problem.

I maintain, they are waaaaay over paid for what they contibute and responsibilities they undertake ( which is mostly none).

Remember the avg salary in Canada is about $50k / yr, these people are making over three times that. And no education is required!!

I agree their salaries need to be reduced. As an aside though, some people have learnt much just by reading. But again, she has yet to prove herself. And it's a shame they did not grill her before the election, because now we have no idea what kind of MP she'll be.

Durry

House Member
May 18, 2010
Canada
Well she was just one of many.
That's just how our system works which is probably ok, but if the salaries were reduced for the backbenchers, then those who are making a bigger contribution could get paid more.