Elizabeth May Elected. Thoughts?

Taxx

Conservative
Apr 10, 2011
PEI
I'm sure by now most people in Canada have heard about this by now, so what's everyone's opinion on this?

Even though I am a conservative I will give credit where credit is due and in this case it is. Its certainly a step forward for May and her party.

s_lone

Council Member
Feb 16, 2005
Montreal
It can only bring a breath of fresh air in parliament. I fail to see how a couple of green propositions could be bad for the country.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
I'm happy for her really. Lol, I literally just finished posting this in another thread, but failing to win her seat, what 3 thimes in a row (or was it 2), she was fast becoming an underdog and I seem to always be taking up the cause of the underdog. :)

Truthfully a green position is not a bad thing. Like a conscience to remind us that there are things in this nation of value beyond economics and taxes.

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
I was actually listening to Liz the other day as she had been asked about official party status and the fact that without it, she would not be eligible for all the perks of status parties. I was slightly annoyed to hear her answer that as she was a 'female' and the head of the party, she should get funds to help out. The remaining Bloc members - much as I dismiss them - will not be eligible. Should there be any independents - neither will they. If she wants funding then she needs to get official party status. Just more of Liz wanting to be included when there is no reason why she should, IMHO.

That said, I am very glad to see the Greens represented in parliament.

Taxx

Conservative
Apr 10, 2011
PEI
It can only bring a breath of fresh air in parliament. I fail to see how a couple of green propositions could be bad for the country.
that's a good point, it does bring fresh ideas and such into the house and this would do more good than bad.

Durry

House Member
May 18, 2010
Canada
She is just going to add to the useless noise that exists in Ottawa.

She sure is a yappy bitch!! I just wish she would say what she has to say and then shut up !!

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
I was actually listening to Liz the other day as she had been asked about official party status and the fact that without it, she would not be eligible for all the perks of status parties. I was slightly annoyed to hear her answer that as she was a 'female' and the head of the party, she should get funds to help out. The remaining Bloc members - much as I dismiss them - will not be eligible. Should there be any independents - neither will they. If she wants funding then she needs to get official party status. Just more of Liz wanting to be included when there is no reason why she should, IMHO.

That said, I am very glad to see the Greens represented in parliament.
See, and what she said, that's why she annoys me.

But if I discounted all the MP's in Ottawa that annoyed me, there'd be a lot of empty seats, lol.

Taxx

Conservative
Apr 10, 2011
PEI

She sure is a yappy bitch!! I just wish she would say what she has to say and then shut up !!
The bickering in Ottawa is done by all of the major parties, it's not like she would be out of place.

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location

Ah, the voice of the Conservative Party.

Shut up, you're only a woman, and therefore a yappy bitch.

No worries about any females in the Conservative party speaking up - Harper won't let them.

Taxx

Conservative
Apr 10, 2011
PEI

No worries about any females in the Conservative party speaking up - Harper won't let them.
I am a conservative and don't think any less of someone because they are a woman.

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
A Mouse Once Bit My Sister

Nope.. She is a self-styled prima donna that thinks that the rules needn't apply to her because she is saving the planet.

Hell, prior to her winning a seat this go-around, she was nothing more than a green lobby, yet she believed (I mean truly believed) that she should be included in the debates... Talk about an over inflated ego.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC

Yes, well, you are pretty annoying too, but we wouldn't dream of telling you to shut up.

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Halifax, NS & Melbourne, VIC
Now I'm not saying anybody in here has done this, but something I've noticed in the past is that some people in the forums & elsewhere will give contgrats to someone or some party for getting a step further into the government..... but as soon as they get further and gain more and more votes over the years, those same people will come back and begin to bash that person or party and note that they're splitting up the vote and/or that there should only be two main parties to choose from.

It's fine when you have tiny parties holding one or two seats just for amusement while the other main parties hold onto everything else..... but as soon as that divide begins to narrow, suddenly there's a problem.

^ I just hope this doesn't happen later down the road with anybody giving her thumbs up for her effort.

In regards to her finally making it into the big P. in Ottawa, in my opinion, she would have gotten in last election if she was smarter.

Now I don't mean that in some stupid sexist manner..... what I mean is that in the last election, she decided to try & take on Peter MacKay in his own riding & his home town where he and his father before him held that spot for years and he won it again this time around.

She got cocky (no pun intended) and tried to bite off more then she could chew (again, no pun intended)

I'm not trying to take her down a bit when I say the following, but she's American-Born, became a Canadian Citizen in 1978, lives mostly in BC and has some family in Cape Breton..... nothing wrong with any of that personally speaking, but politically speaking, her thinking she could waltz into Pictou County and root out Peter MacKay from his well-established fort was stupid.

This time around it would seem she learned from her past mistake and I say good for her for learning..... but she still has a way to go.

Just look at how long it took the NDP & Layton to get where they are today.

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek

Geez, TP........get over yourself already. One does not have to be a conservative to see that Liz can be irritating to say the very least. I don't want to shut her up, I just wish she could learn to speak without using cliches and falling back on being female. Oh, and it would help if she would learn that when her turn to speak is up - it is up! For someone who constantly nags about the lack of decorum in the House, she really needs to have a look in the mirror, IMHO.

Now I'm not saying anybody in here has done this, but something I've noticed in the past is that some people in the forums & elsewhere will give contgrats to someone or some party for getting a step further into the government..... but as soon as they get further and gain more and more votes over the years, those same people will come back and begin to bash that person or party and note that they're splitting up the vote and/or that there should only be two main parties to choose from.

It's fine when you have tiny parties holding one or two seats just for amusement while the other main parties hold onto everything else..... but as soon as that divide begins to narrow, suddenly there's a problem.

^ I just hope this doesn't happen later down the road with anybody giving her thumbs up for her effort.

In regards to her finally making it into the big P. in Ottawa, in my opinion, she would have gotten in last election if she was smarter.

Now I don't mean that in some stupid sexist manner..... what I mean is that in the last election, she decided to try & take on Peter MacKay in his own riding & his home town where he and his father before him held that spot for years and he won it again this time around.

She got cocky (no pun intended) and tried to bite off more then she could chew (again, no pun intended)

I'm not trying to take her down a bit when I say the following, but she's American-Born, became a Canadian Citizen in 1978, lives mostly in BC and has some family in Cape Breton..... nothing wrong with any of that personally speaking, but politically speaking, her thinking she could waltz into Pictou County and root out Peter MacKay from his well-established fort was stupid.

This time around it would seem she learned from her past mistake and I say good for her for learning..... but she still has a way to go.

I might just add that in order to win her seat she made the decision to stay in her riding - not leaving to support her other party members across the country. Maybe next time she will have a little more thought for all the hard-working people who support the Green team.

Taxx

Conservative
Apr 10, 2011
PEI
I might just add that in order to win her seat she made the decision to stay in her riding - not leaving to support her other party members across the country. Maybe next time she will have a little more thought for all the hard-working people who support the Green team.

That was the whole point. The green party as a whole decided to focus on getting her in instead of trying to get everyone in. And as it turned out, they succeeded.

Think about that for a second. Does it make more sense to just try and get a voice in parliament if you have none or does it make more sense to spread out your efforts across the whole country?

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario

Just wanted to say I think you're bang on with both points.

Concillatory gestures, fairness, quickly falls by the wayside when people have to give up a slice of their pie. Which, btw you will never hear coming from me. If someone gets elected, then as far as I'm concerned, they've earned it. Period. End of story.

And she was tremendously stupid to take on McKay in the last election. Set herself up for failure I think.

She earned her victory this time. That deserves congratulations.

But she still annoys me, lol.

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Halifax, NS & Melbourne, VIC
Geez, TP........get over yourself already. One does not have to be a conservative to see that Liz can be irritating to say the very least. I don't want to shut her up, I just wish she could learn to speak without using cliches and falling back on being female. Oh, and it would help if she would learn that when her turn to speak is up - it is up! For someone who constantly nags about the lack of decorum in the House, she really needs to have a look in the mirror, IMHO.

Agreed.... If she wants to gain more support & more seats, she has to learn the ropes a bit better then she has now and she needs to understand that running her mouth to the point of not allowing her competition to get a word in, does not make her sound more right, nor more entitled.

And sorry to say, but any women trying to use the gender card to win an argument or somehow gain more support is just as bad a some guy saying they can do the job better because they're a man.

Sure some men have used that argument for decades or even centuries, but it was never right then, it's not right now, and neither is the woman card.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
Well she beat an idiot, mind you he was not very tall and really should have had a life as a Dwarf in Dwarf Tossing competitions.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
That was the whole point. The green party as a whole decided to focus on getting her in instead of trying to get everyone in. And as it turned out, they succeeded.

Think about that for a second. Does it make more sense to just try and get a voice in parliament if you have none or does it make more sense to spread out your efforts across the whole country?
I think they had to place the entire focus of the campaign on her because the neither the Green Party nor May herself are all that prolific in this country. That is not to say that the Green Party is without merit, they do have a support base and that alone makes the party a needed and necessary part of the political landscape. It doesn't matter whether I agree or disagree with some or all of their platform, the fact that citizens and voters in this country do support them makes them worth having. But I just don't think the Green Party has enough support to spread their pre-election focus across the entire nation.

Perhaps we've all collectively just grown so tired of having such a fractured federal political landscape, but now it seems is not the time to be anywhere near the fringe or be a "single issue" party, whether that's real or simple perceived.

I'd also say it's very unlikely that additional voters would ever take them seriously if they consistently fail to elect their own leader. Look at Ignatieff and Duceppe; lost their seat, they are gone.