Some voter stats for the junkies

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
Calgary voter turnout hits 58%

Only 58 per cent of eligible voters – or 581,303 people – cast a ballot on Monday in Calgary and area's 11 federal ridings, according to preliminary results from Elections Canada.

That is up slightly from the 2008 federal election when only 54 per cent of Calgary area residents voted.
Of those who did vote, 69 per cent picked a Conservative candidate. All 11 Tories running in the region won a seat. The Conservative candidates in Medicine Hat and Lethbridge also won their ridings.
The NDP candidates got 12 per cent of the votes, while the Liberal candidates got 11 per cent. The Green Party got seven per cent of the votes.

Across Canada, 14.7 million people voted, electing a Conservative majority government on Monday night, and pushing the preliminary voter turnout to 61.4 per cent up from 59.1 per cent in 2008.
Alberta had one of the lowest voter turnout rates in the country, with only 56.4 per cent of registered voters casting ballots. In 2008 the turnout was 52.9 per cent, while 61.9 per cent of Albertans voted in 2006.

All the figures were based on reports from 71,486 of 71,513 polls across Canada. The total number of registered electors did not, however, include anyone who only registered on election day itself.

Calgary voter turnout hits 58% - Calgary - CBC News

wulfie68

Council Member
Mar 29, 2009
Calgary, AB
Alberta's numbers shouldn't surprise anyone. As unfriendly as their policies are to the province, the NDP and Liberals never stood a chance. Once the other federal parties stop trying to demonize Albertans and work on ways to work with us, they may make some head way...

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
Calgary voter turnout hits 58%

Only 58 per cent of eligible voters – or 581,303 people – cast a ballot on Monday in Calgary and area's 11 federal ridings, according to preliminary results from Elections Canada.

That is up slightly from the 2008 federal election when only 54 per cent of Calgary area residents voted.
Of those who did vote, 69 per cent picked a Conservative candidate. All 11 Tories running in the region won a seat. The Conservative candidates in Medicine Hat and Lethbridge also won their ridings.
The NDP candidates got 12 per cent of the votes, while the Liberal candidates got 11 per cent. The Green Party got seven per cent of the votes.

Across Canada, 14.7 million people voted, electing a Conservative majority government on Monday night, and pushing the preliminary voter turnout to 61.4 per cent up from 59.1 per cent in 2008.
Alberta had one of the lowest voter turnout rates in the country, with only 56.4 per cent of registered voters casting ballots. In 2008 the turnout was 52.9 per cent, while 61.9 per cent of Albertans voted in 2006.

All the figures were based on reports from 71,486 of 71,513 polls across Canada. The total number of registered electors did not, however, include anyone who only registered on election day itself.

Calgary voter turnout hits 58% - Calgary - CBC News
As disappointing as the low turn-out was, at least there was a slight rise in the number of people casting a ballot.

cranky

Time Out
Apr 17, 2011
I find that most of us easterners are more than capable of seeing things the same way as Albertans see them. When I lived there, I was focused on working hard and serving my community and family, conservative values matched my values just fine.