Election results reliable?

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
Judging from what we're reading in the media lately with people being falsely informed that polling stations have changed locations, and people in some locations having to sign affidavits that they hadn't voted yet owing to their names having been crossed off, I'm getting worried.

I realize there is only so much we can do, but the idea that people are prepared to go to such lengths to manipulate election results is worrying indeed, and such on a large scale too.

wulfie68

Council Member
Mar 29, 2009
Calgary, AB
Gotta admit, signing in at a polling station was a new one on me....

Seriously? I've had to sign in at polling stations ever since I started voting. As for locating them, if you can't read the address on your voter card then maybe you shouldn't vote because you probably can't read the ballot. These "irregularities" that Machjo alludes to are something I haven't run into, so I'm not about to say they are "wide spread" and render the results unreliable without a LOT more evidence...

Taxx

Conservative
Apr 10, 2011
PEI
I've never heard about any of this. Care to post a link to an article making this claim?

Also, I voted for the first time today and didn't really even need my ID so I don't know what you guys are talking about.

cranky

Time Out
Apr 17, 2011
it is super easy to find out where to vote, just go to the elections canada website and type in your postal code

it is super easy to vote if you are not on the voters list. I did it today with only a driver's license. My mother in law did it with a cancelled drivers license that was 10 years out of date.

And it should be that easy to vote! considering that anyone can vote by mail if they want to.

Taxx

Conservative
Apr 10, 2011
PEI
it is super easy to find out where to vote, just go to the elections canada website and type in your postal code

it is super easy to vote if you are not on the voters list. I did it today with only a driver's license. My mother in law did it with a cancelled drivers license that was 10 years out of date.

And it should be that easy to vote! considering that anyone can vote by mail if they want to.
Exactly! Voting is the easiest thing and I still can't believe some people don't do it.

PoliticalNick

The Troll Bashing Troll
Mar 8, 2011
Edson, AB
I've never heard about any of this. Care to post a link to an article making this claim?

Also, I voted for the first time today and didn't really even need my ID so I don't know what you guys are talking about.
I have to call bullsh*t!!! You have to present ID with your current address to vote. If someone allowed you to vote without proper ID they should be removed from the polling station, not paid for their time and charged with election fraud. You are either full of sh*t or helping perpetrate a fraud upon the Canadian voters.

cranky

Time Out
Apr 17, 2011
in a small town, not only is it possible that the polling clerk knew him, it is highly improbably that thousand of imposters could waltz in an affect the voting results

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
Seriously? I've had to sign in at polling stations ever since I started voting. As for locating them, if you can't read the address on your voter card then maybe you shouldn't vote because you probably can't read the ballot. These "irregularities" that Machjo alludes to are something I haven't run into, so I'm not about to say they are "wide spread" and render the results unreliable without a LOT more evidence...

I've always had to sign my name too each time I've voted. Also, I haven't experienced this problem first hand, merely reading from the CBC. it just appears though that there is more news about it this election.

PoliticalNick

The Troll Bashing Troll
Mar 8, 2011
Edson, AB
in a small town, not only is it possible that the polling clerk knew him, it is highly improbably that thousand of imposters could waltz in an affect the voting results

Small town or not it doesn't matter if it was his mother, he should have had to present ID as per the law, anything else is in violation and considered election fraud. Pretty black & white.

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
If you don't have a card in the mail you can sign in and lots of people do
Over all we have a pretty good system

YukonJack

Time Out
Dec 26, 2008
Winnipeg
If you don't have a card in the mail you can sign in and lots of people do
Over all we have a pretty good system

You are absolutely correct, damngrumpy. I lived and worked in Akron, Ohio during and after the 2000 presidential elections. I was astonished to see the chaos and disarray, compared to our system. My American friends at the time told me that due to some/most of their laws, i.e. States' Rights, etc., they would have trouble implementing a system such as ours.

mcqueen625

May 2, 2011
Well that's what happens when people are allowed to just set up polling stations which were NOT pre-approved by Elections Canada, yet Elections Canada after the fact states that the votes will count. I think everyone knows of the poll I'm referring to at a certain university campus in Ontario on April 13th. The fact is that Advanced Polls and Special Polls are supposed to be held on the same days, which in this case was April, 2nd, 23rd, and 25th, yet this one was held . Since this poll was neither approved nor adhered to the dates set out to hold such polls, the results should have been rejected, out of hand.

I'm not saying that these students don't have a right to vote but voting comes with it responsibility to strictly follow the rules as stated, and this poll did not adhere to those rules. There is also no guarantee that these same students could not simply go home and vote again in the riding where they normally live when not in school. I have no faith that the election results will be either fair or accurate since the rules have not been strictly followed. The thanks for this comes from a Chief Electoral Officer who seems to make up the rules as he goes. Once this election is over, this guy should be shown the door, never to hold another civil service position as long as he lives. If we have a Chief electoral Officer who takes the rules so lightly, it brings the whole process into question.

Taxx

Conservative
Apr 10, 2011
PEI
I have to call bullsh*t!!! You have to present ID with your current address to vote. If someone allowed you to vote without proper ID they should be removed from the polling station, not paid for their time and charged with election fraud. You are either full of sh*t or helping perpetrate a fraud upon the Canadian voters.

I had ID with me, but after I filled out some form I asked if they needed to see me my ID and they said no it was fine. (My licence was in my hand but they said put it away we don't need it)

Out of the 6 people working at the polling station I knew 4 of them. My parents voted before me so I don't know if they where asked or not because I wasn't really watching, but my parents knew most of the people there as well.

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek

I voted at Canim Lake Reserve and knew every single person working for Elections Canada. I had my voting card which was turned in and I did show two pieces of ID.

Taxx

Conservative
Apr 10, 2011
PEI
I voted at Canim Lake Reserve and knew every single person working for Elections Canada. I had my voting card which was turned in and I did show two pieces of ID.
Why would you need two? One photo id with birth date & address is all you need.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss

I didn't have to show my id to vote either... my neighbour was working the polling station. He knows my full name and my address, and knows it all matches the voting card I handed over. I still brought it. I had no clue who'd be working. But, I didn't need to show it.