Next Liberal Leader

PoscStudent
Any ideas on who will replace Ignatieff?

Avro
No Party Affiliation
+2
Gee whiz....I hope it's Obama....he killed Bin Laden.

Something no gap toothed mouth breathing Republican could do.

Ron in Regina
Free Thinker
I'm assuming Ralph Goodale. He's the only one in the running that hasn't already
shot himself in the foot, or is running on the coattails of his father, etc...except
Ralphy isn't from Quebec, so I doubt he's ever make it as a Liberal PM, but
would make a good leader of a third place party behind the Conservatives
and the NDP.

PoscStudent
I'm curious about having someone move from provincial politics to federal politics to become leader. Does anyone know if their is a popular MLA or Minister in the Ontario's Liberals who could make the jump or if there are any federal Liberals within the Quebec Liberals who would have a shot?

lone wolf
Free Thinker
A red rubber band.... (next Lib leader)

Bob Rae made the jump ... as did Baird, Clememts and Flaherty. None are leaders but BC&F were horsemen in Harris' government....

Colpy
Conservative
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by AvroView Post

Gee whiz....I hope it's Obama....he killed Bin Laden.

Something no gap toothed mouth breathing Republican could do.

I never realized that Obama was a member of Seal Team Six.........I'm impressed!!!!!

Retired_Can_Soldier
+1
I think Avro should run.

Ron in Regina
Free Thinker
Quote: Originally Posted by PoscStudentView Post

I'm curious about having someone move from provincial politics to federal politics to become leader. Does anyone know if their is a popular MLA or Minister in the Ontario's Liberals who could make the jump or if there are any federal Liberals within the Quebec Liberals who would have a shot?

Why Ontario's Liberals or Quebec's Liberals? That's the strike against Ralph Goodale. Oh well....

A Conservative from outside of Central Canada. Yeah....but a Liberal PM from outside of Central
Canada? Hard to imagine. Why though?

The fact that both of us have to ask these questions just doesn't make the Liberal Party seem
very Liberal, does it? Back of the bus. Move along, etc...seems to be the way the wind blows
for Liberal Leaders if they're from the east or west of Ontario & Quebec it seems.

Liberalman
Rise up Canada RISE UP!

Cliffy
Free Thinker
+1

YouTube - Rise Up - Parachute Club

PoscStudent
Quote: Originally Posted by Ron in ReginaView Post

Why Ontario's Liberals or Quebec's Liberals? That's the strike against Ralph Goodale. Oh well....

A Conservative from outside of Central Canada. Yeah....but a Liberal PM from outside of Central
Canada? Hard to imagine. Why though?

The fact that both of us have to ask these questions just doesn't make the Liberal Party seem
very Liberal, does it? Back of the bus. Move along, etc...seems to be the way the wind blows
for Liberal Leaders if they're from the east or west of Ontario & Quebec it seems.

Well to have someone provincially who's a bit high profile and popular there's not a whole lot of choices. There may be some members of the BC Liberals but a lot of them are Conservatives and the only other Liberal Party in power is in PEI. They don't need a party that is currently in power but it'd probably help. There's also the whole french thing too.

As for Ralph Goodale he's old, he didn't want it before and I've heard Liberals say he's quite boring.

Dominic LeBkanc I think is an obvious choice and would be a front runner. There's also David McGuinty, I find it odd that there are very few women that are seen as potential leaders. The Liberals have historically been popular with women but they're the only party to never have a female leader.

weaselwords
No Party Affiliation
Its a Francophone's turn & there doesn't seem to be much talent coming out of Quebec so yeah Domenic LeBlanc, he's got the bloodlines his father a longtime MP, cabinet minister & GG hopefully some it has worn off on the son.

PoscStudent
Quote: Originally Posted by weaselwordsView Post

Its a Francophone's turn & there doesn't seem to be much talent coming out of Quebec so yeah Domenic LeBlanc, he's got the bloodlines his father a longtime MP, cabinet minister & GG hopefully some it has worn off on the son.

He's a smart guy, he actually admitted in 2008 that the party has a problem which is something Ignatieff has never said.

Cannuck
No Party Affiliation
+2

He's a smart guy, he actually admitted in 2008 that the party has a problem which is something Ignatieff has never said.

The party has a "problem" because they've tried so hard not to be conservative they've moved over to where the NDP is. They need to either move back to the middle or join with the NDP. Getting a new leader doesn't change those options.

wulfie68
No Party Affiliation
Justin True-dough. The Liberals seem to insist on alternating anglo-franco, even when the leaders don't have a chance at accomplishing anything after their predecessor kills or damages their collective reputation (i.e. Turner after Trudeau, Martin after Chretien, Dion after Martin), and regardless of actual merit in such an alternation (I view it as any other "affirmative action" type thing: sure it gets you diversity but it sometimes does so at the expense of choosing the best person for the job... and the french don't make up half the country). The Liberals also love ivory tower types, so some like Trudeau Jr, who's never had to work a day in his life should be a shoe in.

PoscStudent
Quote: Originally Posted by CannuckView Post

The party has a "problem" because they've tried so hard not to be conservative they've moved over to where the NDP is. They need to either move back to the middle or join with the NDP. Getting a new leader doesn't change those options.

They got a **** load of problems! They need to get rid of a lot of old dead weight in the party and need to move to the centre. They need have a more right-wing or centre-right economic policies and keep with the progressive social policies. Denis Coderre was right when he was trying to get rid of some old Montreal MPs.

One thing I find they did stupid this time is that they decided they'd reverse the corporate tax cuts, I neither agree nor disagree with this, but instead of saying they'd invest some money into social programs and use some to put on the deficit they decided they'd spend it all.

In 2008 they had the Green Shift but instead of it being a shift to being green it was a complete 180 to being green. The Green Shift should have looked into implementing green initiatives and once Canadians are more use to being a greener society then they could look at a carbon tax.

YaYiP
No Party Affiliation
ME!!!

Elect me and I will lead this nation and through this nation, this planet to new heights

I have a solution for every challenge, past, current, and future. It is related to every aspect of society as everything in life is related to each other. I answer the 5 "w"s to every political question. What, where, when, who, and why... the how is up to all of us
The answer is fluid so it can be embraced by all people of this planet.
This

TenPenny
Quote: Originally Posted by weaselwordsView Post

Leblanc is an old-style Liberal politician, I would hate to see him in the leader's seat. If you think the sponsorship scandal was bad, just watch out for him. I know enough people who live in his riding to be very leery of him.

Unforgiven
Quote: Originally Posted by ColpyView Post

I never realized that Obama was a member of Seal Team Six.........I'm impressed!!!!!

I thought it was Fox Force Five? I like the funny one.

damngrumpy
No Party Affiliation
I can't think of anyone who wants to commit political suicide so early in the year.

Colpy
Conservative
Quote: Originally Posted by LiberalmanView Post

Rise up Canada RISE UP!

Why I had hopes for the Count........and why he disappointed me:

Quote:

In the years after the disintegration of Yugoslavia, he was a rare example on the international stage (via the BBC and Harvard) of muscular liberalism. Indeed, a post-9/11 think-piece by a Boston Globe writer put Ignatieff in the same neo-imperialist group as me and Charles Krauthammer. The price he paid for the toxic chalice of the Liberal Party was that he would no longer do it his way but only the brain-dead cobwebbed conventional Grit establishment's way, and he wound up taking the blows anyway, without the compensating thought that that he had at least to his own self been true. It profits a man nothing to give his soul for the whole world. But for Stornaway?

SteynOnline - PUT YOUR DREAMS AWAY (external - login to view)

A weak man, without real convictions, destroyed by the Liberal Party that he, in turn, has damaged immensely.

damngrumpy
No Party Affiliation
Maybe he and Dion could manage the party together, just a thought.
The only person they have left if he is left after today is young Trudeau
and face it he is not ready. The Liberal Party has become not only an
arrogant machine it became a dogmatic arrogant machine and it is not
being destroyed it is in all likely hood going to implode.
Next the Conservatives, they are an arrogant social conservative machine
that will likely not get anything that looks like a majority until they become
a fiscal rather than socially conservative.
The NDP if it makes the official opposition, they will be forced to give up
their last vestiges of being a movement and become a full fledged party.
If they attain power and are not careful they too will become another one
of those arrogant machines.
This is the Canadian way. The one thing I have always believed the
conservatives and the New Democrats have always had a set of principles
to follow like them or not, the Liberals on the other hand lacked the central
principles of the others and for a while it served their cause, but those days
are no more.

cranky
+1

Any ideas on who will replace Ignatieff?

Thats easy. Jack Layton!

PoscStudent
They'll need one now.

taxslave
No Party Affiliation
+1
If I was a member of the Liberal party I would first be looking for a Canadian for a leader. One that has worked for a living and is not so far out in left field as to be irrelevant to most Canadians.

JLM
No Party Affiliation
Do they still have official party status?

Quote: Originally Posted by damngrumpyView Post

Maybe he and Dion could manage the party together, just a thought.
The only person they have left if he is left after today is young Trudeau
and face it he is not ready. The Liberal Party has become not only an
arrogant machine it became a dogmatic arrogant machine and it is not
being destroyed it is in all likely hood going to implode.
Next the Conservatives, they are an arrogant social conservative machine
that will likely not get anything that looks like a majority until they become
a fiscal rather than socially conservative.
The NDP if it makes the official opposition, they will be forced to give up
their last vestiges of being a movement and become a full fledged party.
If they attain power and are not careful they too will become another one
of those arrogant machines.
This is the Canadian way. The one thing I have always believed the
conservatives and the New Democrats have always had a set of principles
to follow like them or not, the Liberals on the other hand lacked the central
principles of the others and for a while it served their cause, but those days
are no more.

Well, Grumpy I have to admit you were a hell of a lot closer at predicting this thing than I was- guess old Yogi had it pegged when he said "it ain't over until it's over". (If you are looking for a job I think the Liberals might have one for you)

DurkaDurka
No Party Affiliation
Quote: Originally Posted by JLMView Post

Do they still have official party status?

Barely...

Cannuck
No Party Affiliation
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by UnforgivenView Post

I thought it was Fox Force Five? I like the funny one.

It was neither.

Mowich
Conservative
Quote: Originally Posted by LiberalmanView Post

Rise up Canada RISE UP!

We did.

talloola
No Party Affiliation
what about justin trudeau, were they hoping he would eventually want that position?