Next Liberal Leader

Avro

Time Out
Feb 12, 2007
Oshawa
Gee whiz....I hope it's Obama....he killed Bin Laden.

Something no gap toothed mouth breathing Republican could do.

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
I'm assuming Ralph Goodale. He's the only one in the running that hasn't already
shot himself in the foot, or is running on the coattails of his father, etc...except
Ralphy isn't from Quebec, so I doubt he's ever make it as a Liberal PM, but
would make a good leader of a third place party behind the Conservatives
and the NDP.

PoscStudent

May 2, 2011
I'm curious about having someone move from provincial politics to federal politics to become leader. Does anyone know if their is a popular MLA or Minister in the Ontario's Liberals who could make the jump or if there are any federal Liberals within the Quebec Liberals who would have a shot?

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
A red rubber band.... (next Lib leader)

Bob Rae made the jump ... as did Baird, Clememts and Flaherty. None are leaders but BC&F were horsemen in Harris' government....

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
I'm curious about having someone move from provincial politics to federal politics to become leader. Does anyone know if their is a popular MLA or Minister in the Ontario's Liberals who could make the jump or if there are any federal Liberals within the Quebec Liberals who would have a shot?

Why Ontario's Liberals or Quebec's Liberals? That's the strike against Ralph Goodale. Oh well....

A Conservative from outside of Central Canada. Yeah....but a Liberal PM from outside of Central
Canada? Hard to imagine. Why though?

The fact that both of us have to ask these questions just doesn't make the Liberal Party seem
very Liberal, does it? Back of the bus. Move along, etc...seems to be the way the wind blows
for Liberal Leaders if they're from the east or west of Ontario & Quebec it seems.

PoscStudent

May 2, 2011
Why Ontario's Liberals or Quebec's Liberals? That's the strike against Ralph Goodale. Oh well....

A Conservative from outside of Central Canada. Yeah....but a Liberal PM from outside of Central
Canada? Hard to imagine. Why though?

The fact that both of us have to ask these questions just doesn't make the Liberal Party seem
very Liberal, does it? Back of the bus. Move along, etc...seems to be the way the wind blows
for Liberal Leaders if they're from the east or west of Ontario & Quebec it seems.

Well to have someone provincially who's a bit high profile and popular there's not a whole lot of choices. There may be some members of the BC Liberals but a lot of them are Conservatives and the only other Liberal Party in power is in PEI. They don't need a party that is currently in power but it'd probably help. There's also the whole french thing too.

As for Ralph Goodale he's old, he didn't want it before and I've heard Liberals say he's quite boring.

Dominic LeBkanc I think is an obvious choice and would be a front runner. There's also David McGuinty, I find it odd that there are very few women that are seen as potential leaders. The Liberals have historically been popular with women but they're the only party to never have a female leader.

weaselwords

Electoral Member
Nov 10, 2009
salisbury's tavern
Its a Francophone's turn & there doesn't seem to be much talent coming out of Quebec so yeah Domenic LeBlanc, he's got the bloodlines his father a longtime MP, cabinet minister & GG hopefully some it has worn off on the son.

PoscStudent

May 2, 2011
Its a Francophone's turn & there doesn't seem to be much talent coming out of Quebec so yeah Domenic LeBlanc, he's got the bloodlines his father a longtime MP, cabinet minister & GG hopefully some it has worn off on the son.
He's a smart guy, he actually admitted in 2008 that the party has a problem which is something Ignatieff has never said.

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
He's a smart guy, he actually admitted in 2008 that the party has a problem which is something Ignatieff has never said.

The party has a "problem" because they've tried so hard not to be conservative they've moved over to where the NDP is. They need to either move back to the middle or join with the NDP. Getting a new leader doesn't change those options.

wulfie68

Council Member
Mar 29, 2009
Calgary, AB
Justin True-dough. The Liberals seem to insist on alternating anglo-franco, even when the leaders don't have a chance at accomplishing anything after their predecessor kills or damages their collective reputation (i.e. Turner after Trudeau, Martin after Chretien, Dion after Martin), and regardless of actual merit in such an alternation (I view it as any other "affirmative action" type thing: sure it gets you diversity but it sometimes does so at the expense of choosing the best person for the job... and the french don't make up half the country). The Liberals also love ivory tower types, so some like Trudeau Jr, who's never had to work a day in his life should be a shoe in.

PoscStudent

May 2, 2011
The party has a "problem" because they've tried so hard not to be conservative they've moved over to where the NDP is. They need to either move back to the middle or join with the NDP. Getting a new leader doesn't change those options.

They got a **** load of problems! They need to get rid of a lot of old dead weight in the party and need to move to the centre. They need have a more right-wing or centre-right economic policies and keep with the progressive social policies. Denis Coderre was right when he was trying to get rid of some old Montreal MPs.

One thing I find they did stupid this time is that they decided they'd reverse the corporate tax cuts, I neither agree nor disagree with this, but instead of saying they'd invest some money into social programs and use some to put on the deficit they decided they'd spend it all.

In 2008 they had the Green Shift but instead of it being a shift to being green it was a complete 180 to being green. The Green Shift should have looked into implementing green initiatives and once Canadians are more use to being a greener society then they could look at a carbon tax.

YaYiP

Feb 24, 2011
Hamilton
ME!!!

Elect me and I will lead this nation and through this nation, this planet to new heights

I have a solution for every challenge, past, current, and future. It is related to every aspect of society as everything in life is related to each other. I answer the 5 "w"s to every political question. What, where, when, who, and why... the how is up to all of us
The answer is fluid so it can be embraced by all people of this planet.
This

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location

Leblanc is an old-style Liberal politician, I would hate to see him in the leader's seat. If you think the sponsorship scandal was bad, just watch out for him. I know enough people who live in his riding to be very leery of him.