Harper Pledges To Protect Religious Freedom

Liberalman

Senate Member
Mar 18, 2007
Toronto
Harper Pledges To Protect Religious Freedom

http://www.sunnewsnetwork.ca/sunnews/politics/federalelection/archives/2011/04/20110423-101107.html

Harper’s war room identified the major issues and have started their march for a majority.

They are starting with the religious freedoms to motivate the people to come out and vote for his majority.

Canada has a rich religious history that has helped families get through the hardships of life and the Conservatives are offering this group an olive branch to vote for like minded indeviduals.This policy is written in stone just like the ten commandments were as far as Stephen Harper is concerned.

Are the Conservatives changing their stripes to become the people’s party?

A little more than one week to go and the Conservative war roon lieutenants are putting into motion the ultimate plan a “Shock and Awe” approach to get their leader into majority territory.

A Conservative government majority will finally give them the ultimate power to change this country once and for all and change the Canadian way of life.

The big question, is will the voters take the bait?

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
Interesting. Whatever happened to focusing narrowly on "the economy"? And when was the last time Harper brought up the discriminatory nature of the BNA Act with regards to education?

Religious Freedom? Good idea? Harper sincere? Again, when did he ever bring up the discriminatory aspects of the BNA Act with regards to religious discrimination. Comes across as desperate in my eyes.

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
The promotion of religious freedoms is going to be part of our foreign policy.

So is Canada going to march around the world, promoting religious freedom?

Avro

Time Out
Feb 12, 2007
Oshawa

Does it mean will be promoting suicide bombing and child molestation?

cranky

Time Out
Apr 17, 2011
If someone is against religious freedom, well isn't that too godam bad, their opinion doesn't matter. its worthless.

Avro

Time Out
Feb 12, 2007
Oshawa
What about the religious freedom to set up Sharia Law?

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
No one is against religious freedom, I just don't think we should be paying for a department
or an organization with taxpayers money. Religion has its merits but when government
gets involved it gets used for other than spiritual purposes. Belief is a personal thing and
people can believe whatever they want. Religion should not get a free pass though in any
society. By that I mean religion should not be allowed to skirt the law, the law in Canada
should come before religious beliefs.

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
I guess we'll have to stick a little clause that states: 'freedom of religion, except that which inevitably leads to violence' ??

cranky

Time Out
Apr 17, 2011
I guess we'll have to stick a little clause that states: 'freedom of religion, except that which inevitably leads to violence' ??

Dont forget about this clause in our beloved Universal Declaration of Human Rights and Freedoms:

Article 30.

• Nothing in this Declaration may be interpreted as implying for any State, group or person any right to engage in any activity or to perform any act aimed at the destruction of any of the rights and freedoms set forth herein.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON

I just walked into the local Conservative campaign office about an hour ago asking about whether this office would apply to Canada too, such as with regards to the religiously discriminatory provisions of the BNA Act and its application in the Ontario Public School system. I think I took the guy there off guard since he had no idea. He then called another person for an answer and she had no idea. In fact, it seems neither of them was even aware of this part of the BNA Act. Aware of the Separate school system, but not aware of its constitutional source. So with still no answer, they took my question on paper with my e-mail address to respond later. I can't wait to read the response.