Tories in damage control over abortion funding

Avro

Time Out
Feb 12, 2007
Oshawa
An abortion-related outburst on the Conservative campaign trail has the Tories doing damage control.
Prime Minister Stephen Harper, who is campaigning in Newfoundland and Labrador, is expected to face questions about abortion-related comments by a Tory candidate in Saskatchewan.
Brad Trost told an anti-abortion group on the weekend that International Planned Parenthood Federation has been denied Canadian funding because it supports abortion.
NDP Leader Jack Layton called the reports “worrying” and said his party strongly supports “a woman’s right to choose.”
He says Trost’s remarks imply the Tories harbour a hidden agenda on abortion.

Full story

Unforgiven

Force majeure
May 28, 2007
I guess Conservative Senator Nancy Ruth's advice to "shut the **** up" about this didn't pan out very well.

Maybe making some noise will help. Of course having a majority government, Harper wouldn't have to worry about working with Parliament, he would just do what he wants. According to this backbencher, it's making Abortion illegal again and forcing women back into dangerous blackmarket places to deal with unwanted pregnancies. I wonder if that would be for raped and life threatening situations too? Probably!

Avro

Time Out
Feb 12, 2007
Oshawa
Anti-abortion groups shaped Tory funding policy on Planned Parenthood

An anti-abortion group successfully influenced a government plan to deny funding to Planned Parenthood, says a Conservative seeking re-election.
Brad Trost, incumbent for Saskatoon-Humboldt, addressed the Saskatchewan Pro-Life Association’s annual convention on Saturday and thanked its members for their help in killing federal funding for the group.
In the speech, a recording of which was obtained by the Liberals and given to the Toronto Star and Le Devoir, Trost claims a number of parliamentary victories for the pro-life movement, including a decision to deny funding for the International Planned Parenthood Federation.
Trost said he and “many” other MPs helped spearhead efforts to round up petitions “to defund Planned Parenthood.”
“Let me just tell you, and I cannot tell you specifically how we used it, but those petitions were very, very useful and they were part of what we used to defund Planned Parenthood because it has been absolute disgrace that that organization and several others like it have been receiving one penny of Canadian taxpayers dollars,” Trost said.

Full story

Avro

Time Out
Feb 12, 2007
Oshawa
If they were truly pro life, they would be blocking cemeteries.

cranky

Time Out
Apr 17, 2011
are you guys aware of how many abortions there in Canada? I'm not sure of the exact number anymore but statistics canada shows it in the range of 43 abortions per 100 live births.

Canadians must suffer from alot of cases of rape and incest.....or maybe they are just narcicistic.

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
are you guys aware of how many abortions there in Canada? I'm not sure of the exact number anymore but statistics canada shows it in the range of 43 abortions per 100 live births.

Canadians must suffer from alot of cases of rape and incest.....or maybe they are just narcicistic.

What's your point - anything that happens 43 times out of 100 should be illegal?

Avro

Time Out
Feb 12, 2007
Oshawa
Are you guys aware of how many abortions there are in Canada? I'm not sure of the exact number anymore but statistics Canada shows it in the range of 43 abortions per 100 live births.

Canadians must suffer from alot of cases of rape and incest.....or maybe they are just narcissistic.

Fixed it for you.

Retired_Can_Soldier

The End of the Dog is Coming!
Mar 19, 2006
Alberta
I'm neither pro or anti, but I'm not sure I understand why that individual (or MP) should not be allowed to have an opinion on the subject of abortion. It has and will always remain an issue in this Country. So she disagrees with abortion. Big deal. It really just sounds like more Liberal desperation to gain a bit of traction in an election they will inevitably lose.

Avro

Time Out
Feb 12, 2007
Oshawa
I'm neither pro or anti, but I'm not sure I understand why that individual (or MP) should not be allowed to have an opinion on the subject of abortion. It has and will always remain an issue in this Country. So she disagrees with abortion. Big deal. It really just sounds like more Liberal desperation to gain a bit of traction in an election they will inevitably lose.

Sounds like spreading rumours about hidden agenda's......abortion, coalitions.....etc etc.

cranky

Time Out
Apr 17, 2011
the liberals dont need to run an election campaign, after they lose, they will just form a coalition government.

Unforgiven

Force majeure
May 28, 2007
I'm neither pro or anti,

Ah the view from the fence. How is the air up there mon frere?

but I'm not sure I understand why that individual (or MP) should not be allowed to have an opinion on the subject of abortion. It has and will always remain an issue in this Country. So she disagrees with abortion. Big deal. It really just sounds like more Liberal desperation to gain a bit of traction in an election they will inevitably lose.

Because they are a government official and they are not voicing an opinion, they are telling financial backers that they will actively work to end abortions in Canada. So it becomes an issue. Not so much desperation as it is stopping the old puritan temperance freaks from entrenching their religious interpretations on the rest of us.

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
“As long as I am prime minister we are not opening the abortion debate,” Mr. Harper declared. “The government will not bring forward any such legislation and any such legislation that is brought forward will be defeated as long as I am prime minister.”

Avro

Time Out
Feb 12, 2007
Oshawa
“As long as I am prime minister we are not opening the abortion debate,” Mr. Harper declared. “The government will not bring forward any such legislation and any such legislation that is brought forward will be defeated as long as I am prime minister.”

Political promises are made to be broken.