Here's your next separatist enemy!!!

s_lone

Council Member
Feb 16, 2005
Montreal
There are very good chances the PQ is going to beat the Liberals in the next Quebec election.

The PQ has just voted at 93% to support their leader Pauline Marois. So she is likely to become the next Quebec prime minister and separatist that Canadians love to hate.

Among some of the things the PQ is promising is to clean up government (corruption has been very bad in the last few years thanks to Liberal Jean Charest and his cronies). Apply language laws to CEGEPs which is a two year program between high school and university and adopt a charter to affirm Quebec's secularism (hope they have the coherence to remove the crucifix from the National Assembly if they do that)

She also wants Quebec to adopt its own Constitution. I fully support this move since there doesn't seem to be any will to integrate Quebec in the Canadian one. Might as well have our own.

I am looking forward to the next election to see where all this could lead...

Pauline Marois gets 93.1 per cent in confidence vote - CTV News

s_lone

Council Member
Feb 16, 2005
Montreal
That is the support from the party members.

The reason why I say she is likely to become the next prime minister is because of the fact that the Liberals are doing very poorly in the opinion of the majority francophone population. The recent corruption scandals have hurt them a lot.

I kind of feel bad for Quebec anglophones because the only alternative to the Liberals is a separatist party (PQ), a very left wing and also separatist party (Québec Solidaire) and a rather right-wing party (ADQ). I won't be surprised if they keep on voting for the Liberals despite all the corruption that has been revealed in the last few years. That is how far their fear of the PQ goes...

s_lone

Council Member
Feb 16, 2005
Montreal
s_lone, do you think their fears have some basis in reality?

Very good question...

I'd say yes and no. This weekend was a very important one for the PQ. They had a confidence vote for their leader Pauline Marois but also had to decide of what they want to offer to Quebecers in the next election.

They voted to extend language laws to CEGEPs and for that reason, I guess anglophones have a reason to fear the PQ. On the other hand, native anglophones already have a legitimate access to English schools. That is how the system works. The language laws are there to make sure immigrants integrate in the francophone majority, for better or worse depending on your point of view...Native anglophones such as me already have access to English schools. Eventually, if I have kids, they'll be allowed to go to English school because I went to English school myself.

Here's something that can worry anglophones. By a slim majority, the PQ voted for reinforcing sign laws by imposing French only signs. But the leader Pauline Marois and a few key personalities in the party pushed strongly to reverse that decision and they succeeded. I'm happy about that because while I support sign laws as they are now, I would have strongly opposed the obligation for French only signs.

In this fact alone, anglophones have a good reason to fear the PQ... But then they also have a reason not to for the simple reason that they changed their mind demonstrating how flexible the party can be. The PQ is not a party of xenophobic extremists like many Canadians like to think. It's a ruthlessly democratic party that has the reputation of being extremely tough with its leaders.

Here's the thing that Canadians need to understand. A separatist can be right wing or left wing. There are also idiotic and racist separatists as there are deeply insightful and tolerant separatists. One just needs to compare Jack Layton and Stephen Harper to understand this simple fact. Both are ardent federalists but have very different views. The same applies to separatists. The PQ is a hybrid party united by its desire to see Quebec become a country and its members vary wildly in political views.

To make it short, the PQ isn't as radical as many of you folks want to believe. We all know how easy to demonize a political party. Just look how the bickering here betweein Conservatives and Liberals...

Bar Sinister

Executive Branch Member
Jan 17, 2010
Edmonton
I dint really have a problem with the PQ. I much prefer it to the alternative which was nut case terrorist groups like the FLQ. In a way the separatists in Quebec are prisoners of their own rhetoric. Many PQ supporters realize that Quebec independence is not practical or even very likely, but the party was founded on the premise of separation from Canada so they are locked into that outmoded goal. They talk independence but know it is a distinctly remote possibility, especially with recent polls in Quebec regarding separation from Canada at an all-time low. A poll in 2010 indicated that only 14% of Quebecois believed that Quebec would separate during the next thirty years.

Sovereignty ?outmoded,? Quebec poll indicates - thestar.com

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
It is another chapter in the saga that will continue for decades more. The PQ rises to a
marginal percentage and then slips away and will continue to do so. The actual increase
in popularity is more to do with the provincial entity making it to the hall of government and
once the party is in power for a short period they like their Liberal predecessor becomes as
unpopular as the government before them. As the power base slips away so does the yen
to separate, after all, if you have a government falling out of favour are you going to trust
them to actually be the governing party in a new republic?
The is a repeat of the drama continuing and like I said it will go on for as long as there is a
Canada. No need to panic this too shall pass

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
It seems to me, s_lone has it backwards. It's quite clear that it is the PQ that fears the da hinglish and not the other way around. My family (on my father's side) is in Kweebeck. They aren't afraid of the PQ. They find them to be an irritant. Many young francophones are learning hinglish because that is the future.

s_lone

Council Member
Feb 16, 2005
Montreal
It is another chapter in the saga that will continue for decades more. The PQ rises to a
marginal percentage and then slips away and will continue to do so. The actual increase
in popularity is more to do with the provincial entity making it to the hall of government and
once the party is in power for a short period they like their Liberal predecessor becomes as
unpopular as the government before them. As the power base slips away so does the yen
to separate, after all, if you have a government falling out of favour are you going to trust
them to actually be the governing party in a new republic?
The is a repeat of the drama continuing and like I said it will go on for as long as there is a
Canada. No need to panic this too shall pass

You are probably right. But the PQ's strategy for its next mandate is ''sovereigntist governance'' and if they play their cards right, they might very well end up successfully organizing another referendum.

The logic goes as follows: ''sovereigntist governance'' is all about pushing for more Quebec independence within Canada. That means repatriating as many powers as possible and adopting a Quebec constitution. The way I see it this is pretty much a win-win situation for separatists because they either manage to effectively make Quebec more independent, or Canada gets pissed off and says NO and we end up with support for separatism flaring up, which is what they really want in the end...

Once a referendum is organized, everything is possible...

Johnnny

Frontiersman
Jun 8, 2007
Third rock from the Sun
It seems to me, s_lone has it backwards. It's quite clear that it is the PQ that fears the da hinglish and not the other way around. My family (on my father's side) is in Kweebeck. They aren't afraid of the PQ. They find them to be an irritant. Many young francophones are learning hinglish because that is the future.

Id say she has it backwards also, no one fears no one. The English arent pushing a genocidal agenda against the french language. If anythign its the opposite. You can go anywhere in Ontario that has a French speaking majority and you will see them living happily and peacefully. Anyone who has ever been to hearst knows what im talking about. And if you say im lieing ask yourself this, when was the last time you saw cops beat someone in Ontario for speaking french?

Sepratism has become a career in quebec, they wont seperate because they will be out of jobs and disappear... They talk about shooting themselves in the foot but who actually shoots themself in the foot on purpose?

Whenever i hear this sepratism issue all i hear is wribbit wribbit wribbit

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
I personally think a simple counter to the sovereignist movement is to promote federal decentralism to the extreme. This way each province would be so autonomous for the most part that Quebecers would no longer see any benefit to separation.

El Barto

les fesses a l'aire
Feb 11, 2007
Quebec
Marois bashes Charest and the liberals about corruption .......... Has anyone researched about her mansion on isle bizard, how much it costs, how she got the permit to build where there was a no build zone? All the regulations she by passed the get it built , plus the money she got to build it and where that came from.... the asking price of the mansion and how much less it is than the original construction price?

On what salary did she get this?
You want to talk corruption...... research that !
She has been disrupting the national assembly with her constant rehtorics......There is no substance in her speeches and what is going to hurt her deaarly is Whe Legualt gets into the fray ... as he may start a party of his own aimed at the fiscal agenda of this province , None of this sepratist bull ****.

s_lone

Council Member
Feb 16, 2005
Montreal
Marois bashes Charest and the liberals about corruption .......... Has anyone researched about her mansion on isle bizard, how much it costs, how she got the permit to build where there was a no build zone? All the regulations she by passed the get it built , plus the money she got to build it and where that came from.... the asking price of the mansion and how much less it is than the original construction price?

On what salary did she get this?
You want to talk corruption...... research that !
She has been disrupting the national assembly with her constant rehtorics......There is no substance in her speeches and what is going to hurt her deaarly is Whe Legualt gets into the fray ... as he may start a party of his own aimed at the fiscal agenda of this province , None of this sepratist bull ****.

The question is, who would François Legault's party hurt the most? PQ or Liberals? Remember that Legeault has clearly stated he wants to put the sovereignty question aside. That puts him more on the federalist side of the spectrum, potentially dividing the federalist vote.

I personally think a simple counter to the sovereignist movement is to promote federal decentralism to the extreme. This way each province would be so autonomous for the most part that Quebecers would no longer see any benefit to separation.

That's what I've been saying for years on this site. It seems to me all Canadians would benefit from such a move.

El Barto

les fesses a l'aire
Feb 11, 2007
Quebec
The question is, who would François Legault's party hurt the most? PQ or Liberals?
I am sure that it would cause enough disruption that we would have a minority Government .

Hell from what I have heard in what he wants to do I might want to vote for him. In any case I am hoping he steps up .

s_lone

Council Member
Feb 16, 2005
Montreal
I am sure that it would cause enough disruption that we would have a minority Government .

Hell from what I have heard in what he wants to do I might want to vote for him. In any case I am hoping he steps up .

I'm glad to hear that. I also think a minority government would be interesting to see. And I hope most federalists in Quebec would be brave enough not to vote again for Charest who in my opinion spit in the face of Quebec's democracy.

El Barto

les fesses a l'aire
Feb 11, 2007
Quebec
I'm glad to hear that. I also think a minority government would be interesting to see. And I hope most federalists in Quebec would be brave enough not to vote again for Charest who in my opinion spit in the face of Quebec's democracy.
Nope I don't see that he does.
I hear alot of whining about it , but I just don't see it.

s_lone

Council Member
Feb 16, 2005
Montreal
Nope I don't see that he does.
I hear alot of whining about it , but I just don't see it.

Or you just don't want to see it? Why did he refuse to hold a public enquiry in the face of all the corruption scandals? A very strong majority of Quebecers demanded it. And they'll remember it at the next election.

El Barto

les fesses a l'aire
Feb 11, 2007
Quebec
Or you just don't want to see it? Why did he refuse to hold a public enquiry in the face of all the corruption scandals? A very strong majority of Quebecers demanded it. And they'll remember it at the next election.
Well if it was for the construction scandals ...I guess it is the population that doesn't want to hear...it is in the hands of the police doing the investigation. You don't have a public inquiery at the same time .
As for that hearing we just had that cost us what a million or so with that ex minister that just turned out to be a 'his word against his word'?
Charest said it would be a waste of time and money and yet the poeple wanted it....
Not saying there is they are squeeky clean ... I am saying the population in this case is a little too narrow minded in thier demands.

Durry

House Member
May 18, 2010
Canada
Gillis D of the PQ could become Prime Minister.

Here's the senario;

-The Libs vote collapses,
-The PQ become the official opposition ( this happened in the 1980's)
- The Cons have a minority
- The PQ forms a coalition with say NDP
- The coalition brings down the government
- Coalition goes to the GG to form Givernment., he says Yes!!
- Gillis Dec. of the PQ is Prime Minister of Canada !!

s_lone

Council Member
Feb 16, 2005
Montreal
Well if it was for the construction scandals ...I guess it is the population that doesn't want to hear...it is in the hands of the police doing the investigation. You don't have a public inquiery at the same time .
As for that hearing we just had that cost us what a million or so with that ex minister that just turned out to be a 'his word against his word'?
Charest said it would be a waste of time and money and yet the poeple wanted it....
Not saying there is they are squeeky clean ... I am saying the population in this case is a little too narrow minded in thier demands.

There's nothing narrow-minded in demanding the truth. And there's something awfully suspicious about a prime minister who refuses to listen to the population when it demands a public enquiry. If Charest had nothing to hide, he would've been ecstatic to finally have something with which to boost his approval rating . But he obviously had more to lose than to gain by having that public enquiry. And by now the paper shredders have done their jobs.

He was the first to trigger the Bastarache Commission when his reputation was attacked by Marc Bellemare. Why the double standard? Why not hold a public enquiry into the other corruption scandals?

Gillis D of the PQ could become Prime Minister.

Here's the senario;

-The Libs vote collapses,
-The PQ become the official opposition ( this happened in the 1980's)
- The Cons have a minority
- The PQ forms a coalition with say NDP
- The coalition brings down the government
- Coalition goes to the GG to form Givernment., he says Yes!!
- Gillis Dec. of the PQ is Prime Minister of Canada !!

Time to get your facts straight.

The BQ was founded in 1991. So long for them being official opposition in the 1980s. They were the official opposition after the 1993 federal election. They lost that title in 1997.

The PQ is a provincial party in Quebec. While they are all separatists, there is a big difference between the BQ and the PQ.

Gilles Duceppe could not be Prime Minister. No GG deserving of the title would accept such a situation.