Do we need an independents' debate?

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
I was thinking, why not have an independents' debate each election? Essentially, any independent incumbent (such as André Arthur for instance) could participate in this debate as long as there are at least more than two independent incumbents. Should there be only one, then he'd simply be welcome into the leaders' debates.

I believe this would help give independent MPs a more equal chance, not to mention that it might introduce new ideas into the debates.

Any ideas on this?

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto
This makes little sense to me. Independents are not party leaders nor do they belong to a party, why would they be invited to a leaders debate?

Avro

Time Out
Feb 12, 2007
Oshawa
With the advent of streaming technology and resources like youtube I see no reason that if independants or other parties want to hold their own debate could not.

Don't wait for the fossil networks to invite you, use social media.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
This makes little sense to me. Independents are not party leaders nor do they belong to a party, why would they be invited to a leaders debate?

Obviously party leaders have an interest in promoting partisanship. having an independent candidate there could promote an alternative non-partisan view. I realise only his constituents could vote for him, but it would still serve the purpose of at least encouraging people to have a more open mind about independents in general.

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto
I'm all for independents and I wish there was more but I fail to see what they have to gain in a leaders debate. Perhaps if there was an independent party ;-)

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
Ideally you would want them in a separate debate if there are at least more than two obviously. Sure they might come from different ridings, but it would still give voters an idea of how well they're likely to perform in a Parliamentary setting.

Also, such a debate is liekly to be far more focused on issues, with all the partisanship out of the way. The debate last night taught me nothing other than how commited each was to his party. No surprise there.