Most fiscon party leader?

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
While I recognize that local candidates always waver at least somewhat from the official party platform, I'd like to know your ideas on the most fiscally conservative party leader at least.

I was reading this on the CBC:

Greens pledge carbon tax, corporate tax hike - Canada Votes 2011 - CBC News

And it seems like a reasonably fiscon platform overall at least on the following fronts:

1. Shifting taxes to user-pay. She would allow income splitting within this mandate (not later as Harper is proposing), and compensating via a carbon tax. Though allowing income splitting is not very fiscon in itself (as it means less government revenue), a gas tax is (as it makes taxes more user-pay and compensates for income splitting). Also, unlike income taxes, a gas tax gives you the choice to buy gas or not. You have to earn an income though.

2. Reduce military spending and limit ourselves to peacekeeping. Less government spending.

3. raise corporate taxes. More revenue. Though I'd normally prefer reducing corporate taxes, I make an exception when we face a federal debt. Sure it means prices might rise or salaries decline, but so be it. The debt needs to be paid off.

Where she might not be so fiscally conservative is in lowering taxes on the poorest Canadians, but as long as it still allows us to pay the debt, maybe I could go for it.

The gas-tax credit is not so fiscon either, but again it might be acceptable for the poorest as long as it doesn't go too far.

Again, I recognize that we always need to consider the local candidate, but supposing all the party leaders were in your riding, which would you say is more likely to balance the budget successfully?

However, I am turned off by May acting liek a transient candidate all the time. Show a commitment to a riding at least.