Fiscal Responsibilities for the Next Government

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
I'm no finance major, but this sounded pretty reasonable to me.

Fiscal responsibilities

How the next government should respond to the federal deficit

No matter which party (or parties) forms the government after the federal election scheduled for May 2, the new government will face a very large deficit. Whether it is led by Liberal leader Michael Ignatieff or, more likely, Conservative leader and current prime minister Stephen Harper, it will need to make deficit reduction a priority to keep interest payments from throttling federal spending as they did in the late 1980s and early 1990s. However, the burden of reduction efforts cannot be placed entirely on the shoulders of low-and middle-income families. Instead, the new government should work to find a fair way for all Canadians to share the burden.

Since deficits arise when the federal government takes in less money than it plans to spend, it has a relatively limited set of tools to reduce the deficit. It can attempt to increase its revenue directly by increasing taxes and other fees, or it can act indirectly to spur economic growth and thereby bring in more tax revenue. The government can also cut spending, either directly by cutting programs and transfers to provincial governments, or it can act indirectly to reduce the number of Canadians who rely on its programs, such as by curbing unemployment and thereby reducing the number of Employment Insurance recipients.

The Harper government has chosen to use two of these tools for its current deficit reduction efforts. First, it is cutting corporate taxes, which it hopes will spur economic growth, and in turn, increase its revenue. Unfortunately, corporate tax cuts historically seem to have little effect on growth, both in Canada and elsewhere. Moreover, Canada’s tax rates are among the lowest in the world, excluding tax havens. Second, it is also cutting public spending on inefficient and unnecessary programs, through a strategic review of government programs. This process is sensible and effective, but cannot deliver very significant savings.

The Liberals are right to suggest delaying corporate tax cuts until the deficit is significantly smaller or preferably eliminated. However, unless they can explain how they plan to replace the lost revenue or cut enough spending to offset the loss, then they should delay the cuts indefinitely. Perhaps the New Democrats would make a freeze on corporate tax cuts a condition of joining a coalition government with the Liberals. Both the Liberals and the New Democrats should endorse a new round of strategic reviews, but they should focus more squarely on areas where there has been significant growth in the past decade, notably the defence budget.

Indeed, not only should the new government use the deficit-cutting tools used by the Harper government differently, but it should also consider deploying a wider range of tools. This includes tax increases that would see wealthy Canadians and large Canadian corporations pay their fair share. That way, the new government could plug the budgetary hole created by the Harper government’s two per cent cut to the GST. Moreover, the new government should not only focus on piecemeal cuts in inefficient or unnecessary areas identified by strategic reviews, but on major new spending such as the construction of new prisons, and the purchase of F-35 stealth fighters.

That way, the new government could avoid having to make major cuts to provincial transfers when they are due to be renegotiated in 2014. The transfers, which help fund education, health, and social care, make up a large portion of the federal budget. Some cuts will undoubtedly be necessary, but focusing on cutting other areas of federal spending while making a concerted effort to increase federal revenues first will help make them more modest and less painful.

It is these cuts, which many expect the Harper government to make if it is still in power in 2014, that would do harm to Canadian families. By putting pressure on provincial governments to cut services, the cuts would exacerbate overcrowding in classrooms, lengthen wait times for crucial surgeries, and weaken the social safety net which keeps tens of thousands of Canadians from falling into abject poverty every year. No matter one’s partisan affiliations, it is clear that these cuts would undermine the public services that all Canadians rely on, either directly or indirectly.

While growing federal transfers to the provinces are part of why Canada has a deficit, slashing these transfers cannot be the first step of deficit reduction because of the effects these cuts would have for Canadian families. Rising education, health, and social care spending is certainly concerning, but the government cannot respond with budget-slashing that will have devastating consequences. A measured approach, which focuses first and foremost on increasing revenue and reducing other federal spending would be far better for all Canadians. We should expect no less from Canada’s next government, no matter who leads it.

http://thevarsity.ca/articles/45374

Last edited:

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Something none of the parties are bothering to mention is the sharp increase in revenues Canada is about to see over the next 10 years.

$30B for jets is a drop in the bucket.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
3 - 4X current revenues. In SK alone things have hit "holy sh!t" levels. Kick back and watch the squabble over royalties begin in the next sitting of the house regardless of who is in. One will want to lower the other will want to raise.

PoliticalNick

The Troll Bashing Troll
Mar 8, 2011
Edson, AB
First you need to understand the difference between deficit and debt. Deficit is the shortfall on the budget as you describe, we cannot pay down the deficit we can only adjust the budget to be balanced or surplus. Debt is the accumulated deficits along with the interest owed on the total debt load and all outstanding bonds. If you look at the debt clock - Canada's National Debt Clock : The Canadian Taxpayers Federation - the reason it moves is for the interest accumulating on the outstanding debt and on govt bonds. If there was no interest it would remain still. The interest each year is about $33 billion but of course this changes as the debt gets larger.

To actually start paying down the debt we have to have a balanced or suplus budget that includes all the interest payments on the debt and some of the principle. We can achieve this by either increasing revenues or by removing the interest accumulation. Increasing revenues can only be accomplished by increasing taxation and nobody wants this so we are left with the option to remove the interest.

The solution is to stop issuing bonds when the govt need money and just to issue money. The theory being that if the govt can issue a $20 bond it can issue a $20 bill. Both are backed only by the the good faith credit of the govt with the only difference being that the bond pays interest to somebody. The ability is there to make our country debt free in a matter of 2 years.

For a complete explaination of the simple solution watch the video from 3:06:00 although I would suggest for a full understanding watch the entire film when you have 3 1/2 hours free, it is quite informative and easily understandable. I first saw this in university in a class on economics and finance.

YouTube - The Money Masters - Full

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
I hope you are right but I fear we will be exporting less as the next wave of financial trouble
is about to set in. Harper has saved us from nothing. The western governments made a
large mistake bailing out some of the institutions a couple of years ago. If we see another
downturn and I expect we will, they can't print money, for fear of massive inflation. the
other problem is we are waiting to see what transpires from the oil crisis that is causing
jitters. Economic Recovery is a myth in the minds of many.
Yes I agree that oil exports to the US will increase however that could be out the window as
well because America won't be able to afford much. On Sunday listening to the morning
programs, some are saying there is another million foreclosures coming within a year and
the other problem is that the bundled paperwork that was sold does not have the ownership
paperwork that should protect the lenders.
The next government will have to buy the things we didn't buy years ago, that would have saved
money, like the jets, have to buy new ones sometime. Secondly we have saved all kinds of tax
dollars not building infrastructure across the country and that will need attention.
I am afraid the government of the day will of course attack social programs and educations
and training programs, while they dole out more tax breaks to large corporations and the wealthy
to hopefully get the companies employing more people.
We have done that forever and the companies and the wealthy freeloaders have counted on our
collective complacency for years. I think we need a balance, if we need to pay more so be it,
but the middle class and working poor should not be paying the taxes of the wealthy or the
corporations.
Where do you cut and what do you cut? That will depend on who gets elected and I think we will
see a pattern in the last ten days of the campaign. The more I see the more I am beginning to
believe Canadians may think the Liberals in the penalty box have been punished enough and
the race could tighten up considerably in the coming days.