That Gag Must Have Slipped, Harper Lost Control?

Unforgiven

Force majeure
May 28, 2007
Usually these people aren't allowed to speak publicly as Harper knows they say the worst sort of things. Now age is bad. What next?

Kenyon Wallace
Toronto Star
A prominent Manitoba Conservative MP facing accusations of ageism after she referred to a 68-year-old Liberal MP as having “passed her expiry date” is standing by her statement, saying her remarks were not intended as a slur against seniors.

Saint Boniface MP Shelly Glover raised the ire of both the Liberal Party and Canada’s national association of seniors Monday night after making the controversial comment about Liberal Anita Neville, longtime MP for Winnipeg South Centre, during an interview with Global Television.

“We need some fresh blood, we need some new people who have some new ideas and who are willing to stand up for their constituents. And I’m afraid Ms. Neville has passed her expiry date,” Glover told Global when asked who she thought the Conservative candidate in the riding should be.

The remark immediately sparked calls from the Liberal Party for an apology and accusations of ageism from CARP, a national organization of seniors committed to promoting equitable access to health care and freedom from discrimination.

“Ageism seems to be the final frontier of acceptable discrimination,” CARP vice-president of advocacy, Susan Eng, said in a statement released late Monday night.

“Even when all the parties are actively wooing older voters, a sitting MP thinks this is appropriate . . . Ms. Glover should retract her comments about Ms. Neville and apologize to the voters of her riding and Ms. Neville’s riding for offending and marginalizing a significant portion of their voter base.”

But in a statement issued Tuesday, Glover did not apologize, opting to defend her original comments, saying they referred to Neville’s performance as an MP only.

“My remarks were clear: I was referring to Ms. Neville’s performance as an MP, and only that,” Glover said. “In my opinion, Ms. Neville has ceased to be an effective representative of her constituents. I believe someone new, of any age, with new ideas would be a more effective representative for the people of Winnipeg South Centre.”

In an interview with the Star, Neville called Glover’s decision not to apologize for her “offensive” remarks illustrative of the Conservative Party’s tendency to resort to personal attacks when they run short of ideas and policies.

“While she fired her aim at me, this is really a comment about older workers,” Neville said. “Her response, quite frankly, is shocking. She doesn’t have to apologize to me, but rather to the older men and women who are still working, still productive. Because you’re younger doesn’t necessarily mean you’re smarter.”

Neville also raised the spectre that sexism played a part in motivating Glover to make the comment, noting that the Conservatives recently welcomed Julian Fantino into Parliament “with glee” even though he is older than she is.

After Glover’s original remarks aired, Neville issued a statement pointing out that many Conservative candidates running in the election have longer tenures in public office than her own 10 years, including Diane Ablonczy, Garry Breitkreuz and Stephen Harper.

jgarden

Mar 29, 2011
What Harper needs to do is take all his Conservative candidates, lock them up and throw away the key until after the election.

On second thought, he should include himself in that group!

The only reason Harper is so determined to get a majority, at any cost, is that the Conservatives are coming to the realization that they will never achieve a majority with him as leader!

If he can't win a majority with the Liberal Party being led by Stephane Dion and Michael Ignatieff, how could he go "head to head" with a more dynamic, charismatic leader?

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
Usually these people aren't allowed to speak publicly as Harper knows they say the worst sort of things. Now age is bad. What next?

Kenyon Wallace
Toronto Star
A prominent Manitoba Conservative MP facing accusations of ageism after she referred to a 68-year-old Liberal MP as having “passed her expiry date” is standing by her statement, saying her remarks were not intended as a slur against seniors.

Saint Boniface MP Shelly Glover raised the ire of both the Liberal Party and Canada’s national association of seniors Monday night after making the controversial comment about Liberal Anita Neville, longtime MP for Winnipeg South Centre, during an interview with Global Television.

“We need some fresh blood, we need some new people who have some new ideas and who are willing to stand up for their constituents. And I’m afraid Ms. Neville has passed her expiry date,” Glover told Global when asked who she thought the Conservative candidate in the riding should be.

The remark immediately sparked calls from the Liberal Party for an apology and accusations of ageism from CARP, a national organization of seniors committed to promoting equitable access to health care and freedom from discrimination.

“Ageism seems to be the final frontier of acceptable discrimination,” CARP vice-president of advocacy, Susan Eng, said in a statement released late Monday night.

“Even when all the parties are actively wooing older voters, a sitting MP thinks this is appropriate . . . Ms. Glover should retract her comments about Ms. Neville and apologize to the voters of her riding and Ms. Neville’s riding for offending and marginalizing a significant portion of their voter base.”

But in a statement issued Tuesday, Glover did not apologize, opting to defend her original comments, saying they referred to Neville’s performance as an MP only.

“My remarks were clear: I was referring to Ms. Neville’s performance as an MP, and only that,” Glover said. “In my opinion, Ms. Neville has ceased to be an effective representative of her constituents. I believe someone new, of any age, with new ideas would be a more effective representative for the people of Winnipeg South Centre.”

In an interview with the Star, Neville called Glover’s decision not to apologize for her “offensive” remarks illustrative of the Conservative Party’s tendency to resort to personal attacks when they run short of ideas and policies.

“While she fired her aim at me, this is really a comment about older workers,” Neville said. “Her response, quite frankly, is shocking. She doesn’t have to apologize to me, but rather to the older men and women who are still working, still productive. Because you’re younger doesn’t necessarily mean you’re smarter.”

Neville also raised the spectre that sexism played a part in motivating Glover to make the comment, noting that the Conservatives recently welcomed Julian Fantino into Parliament “with glee” even though he is older than she is.

After Glover’s original remarks aired, Neville issued a statement pointing out that many Conservative candidates running in the election have longer tenures in public office than her own 10 years, including Diane Ablonczy, Garry Breitkreuz and Stephen Harper.

My my my....desperation in the opposition ranks, searching wildly for an issue!!!

LOL

jgarden

Mar 29, 2011
If the Conservatives felt confident about their accomplishments after 5 years in office, why aren't they running on their record?

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
Harpo and the crew are getting ready to roll out their new 'Logan's Run Bill'.

Yep.....and kill off the most dependable part of their support....

Like....DUH!

If the Conservatives felt confident about their accomplishments after 5 years in office, why aren't they running on their record?

Ahh....

they are......as far as that goes.

They have done well enough....they have had the longest-running minority gov't in our history....

Unforgiven

Force majeure
May 28, 2007
My my my....desperation in the opposition ranks, searching wildly for an issue!!!

LOL

There are all kinds of issues Colpy, this is just one more.

PoliticalNick

The Troll Bashing Troll
Mar 8, 2011
Edson, AB
Yep.....and kill off the most dependable part of their support....

Like....DUH!

Since all their support has one foot in the grave we should start tossing banana peels.

They have done well enough....they have had the longest-running minority gov't in our history....

Now there's an accomplishment to brag about...'we were a great minority!'

Unforgiven

Force majeure
May 28, 2007
But wait, there's more!

Conservative Leader Stephen Harper is distancing himself from another tainted political organizer who found a home in a local candidate’s campaign.

Giulio Maturi, who was a top official in the campaign of disgraced former Montreal mayoral candidate Benoit Labonté in 2009, was listed as late as Wednesday afternoon as the campaign manager for a Montreal Conservative candidate.

But during a lunchtime news conference, Mr. Harper said Mr. Maturi is no longer part of the campaign.

“I am not aware of the details of that situation but I have been told that person is no longer a volunteer on our campaign,” Mr. Harper said during a campaign stop in Brampton, Ont.

Conservative officials later announced the national Harper tour would no longer take questions on local campaigns.

That must get sticky after it happens a few times eh? Best to distance himself from all candidates just to be on the safe side. lol

"There are 308 local campaigns and local campaigns can speak to what they are doing locally," Conservative campaign spokesman Dimitri Soudas said.

Mr. Harper, he said, "will stay focused on electing a national, stable, Conservative government."

Mr. Maturi was the unpaid campaign manager for Agop Evereklian, the Tory candidate in the Pierrefonds-Dollard riding where Mr. Harper will make a stop later Wednesday.

Mr. Labonté dropped out of the 2009 race under a cloud of corruption allegations. He accused Mr. Maturi of trying to convince him to use four campaign organizers paid for by a private company.

Last year, Christian Paradis, Mr. Harper’s Quebec lieutenant, told the House of Commons that Mr. Maturi was not on an employee of the Conservative Party.

Must be those weasel words Bear was talking about.

But Mr. Maturi has popped up since, organizing a Conservative fundraising event along with now being the volunteer in charge of Mr. Evereklian’s campaign.

Neither the Conservative team in Pierrefonds-Dollard nor the national party immediately responded to interview requests after Le Devoir broke the story Wednesday morning.

A little after 1 p.m., Mr. Maturi's name disappeared from Mr. Evereklian's website, replaced by a new campaign head, Sophie Allard.

Bloc Québécois Leader Gilles Duceppe said the case is similar to that of Sébastien Togneri, the disgraced former staffer under RCMP investigation for allegations he meddled with access-to-information requests.

Mr. Togneri had signed up to help the Conservative campaign in the Alberta riding of Edmonton-Strathcona. The party dismissed him when his involvement was revealed.

“Curious, curious, curious. This seems to be a problem Mr. Harper keeps having,” Mr. Duceppe said.

“The Conservatives talk about transparency, about respecting justice, about being virtuous and true. It’s another example that shows their words don’t match up to reality. It’s another example that shows they don’t talk straight.”

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
Ha! Never miss a opportunity for slap stick! Well played man!
How come her remarks aren't about causing injury or as inferred, death, but...

“We need some fresh blood, we need some new people who have some new ideas and who are willing to stand up for their constituents. And I’m afraid Ms. Neville has passed her expiry date,”

"Fresh blood" is about the elderly?

Conservative Leader Stephen Harper is distancing himself from another tainted political organizer who found a home in a local candidate’s campaign.

Oh I get it now, fling as much poo as you can and hope something sticks!

Good tactic.

Nothing like shyte all over your hands. Let me know when you're done, I'll drop off a case of purel. Oh wait, will that now be used against Injins, as germicidal maniacs, seeing as I just inferred gems should be killed?

YouTube - Monkey throws poop straight at the camera

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
“While she fired her aim at me, this is really a comment about older workers,” Neville said." And not to be outdone, Neville 'fired her aim' right back at Glover raising the old 'sexist' flag. Sheesh.