"You Should Have Stayed At Home" - G20 Police Actions/Brutality

YaYiP

Feb 24, 2011
Hamilton
On March 1st 2011, CBC's the fifth estate aired the episode “You Should Have Stayed At Home”. This episode highlights police actions against ordinary citizens in the city of Toronto, Canada’s largest city! If this can happen to our largest city in the blink of an eye, can it happen anywhere in Canada? To anyone in Canada? To You?

Is Canada still a “free” society or is it just an illusion of rights that can be put aside at a moments notice?

With nation wide police involved, how can we trust these “peace officer”?

Was such a use of force really necessary against the peaceful protesters?

Why was this aggressive force not using when the “anarchist” were looting and burning police cars? Why not use the force against those who deserve it? I believe in the intelligence of our officers… Maybe I’m naïve?

To any Peace Officer who was involved in the G20, please let us hear your side as well. The rest of Canadian would love to know what was going through your head as you willing participated in the largest mass arrest in Canadian history.

Are “following orders” an allowable excuse? When do individual officers take responsibility for their actions?

One year anniversary on June 26-27. Protests anyone?

You Should Have Stayed At Home - the fifth estate

Oops.... Posted twice... new at this...

Unforgiven

Force majeure
May 28, 2007
Consider of the thousands and thousands of police officers who came to Toronto to work in their profession and make a little extra money, hundreds of them, removed their identification and committed assault and violated Charter Rights on peaceful people. These are supposed to be trusted men who protect the public and uphold the principle of law. Of all of them, only 100 local police officers were reprimanded for removing their identification, and one was charged and is being scapegoated but the Toronto Police Service and Bill Blair.

These are some of the people who come into your home when there is tragedy or disaster, who you should be able to put your trust into.

If you don't think we have a huge problem nation wide on our hands, you should pull your head out of the sand.

YaYiP

Feb 24, 2011
Hamilton
Consider of the thousands and thousands of police officers who came to Toronto to work in their profession and make a little extra money, hundreds of them, removed their identification and committed assault and violated Charter Rights on peaceful people. These are supposed to be trusted men who protect the public and uphold the principle of law. Of all of them, only 100 local police officers were reprimanded for removing their identification, and one was charged and is being scapegoated but the Toronto Police Service and Bill Blair.

These are some of the people who come into your home when there is tragedy or disaster, who you should be able to put your trust into.

If you don't think we have a huge problem nation wide on our hands, you should pull your head out of the sand.

My thinking exactly. These are the men and women who we, as a nation and as individuals, have to have the most trust in.

And right now I don't...

polaris

Nominee Member
Jan 7, 2011
TRy to think clearly about who is responsible for ordering up the thousands of police to lock-down the city of Toronto. Focus past the cordons of police behind riot shields and even behind the police chiefs behind them....past the curtain, who is there?

Make no mistake...the orders came from Ottawa...from Harpy...from Conservatives who are planning on building more prisons and are always behind enlarging police forces.

Freedom of assembly, the right to protest, even the right to free speech is being directly attacked here in Canada...Harpy and the Conservatives are directing that attack.

Trotz

Electoral Member
May 20, 2010
Alberta
Peaceful people? These were the same people as the homeless hipsters in Downtown Victoria; who'll sometimes throw glass bottles at random bypassers for the hell of it.

That's what the G20 was; minus the politicians and police, it was a giant magnet for all the morons from Victoria to Moscow.

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
A Mouse Once Bit My Sister
TRy to think clearly about who is responsible for ordering up the thousands of police to lock-down the city of Toronto. Focus past the cordons of police behind riot shields and even behind the police chiefs behind them....past the curtain, who is there?

Make no mistake...the orders came from Ottawa...from Harpy...from Conservatives who are planning on building more prisons and are always behind enlarging police forces.

Freedom of assembly, the right to protest, even the right to free speech is being directly attacked here in Canada...Harpy and the Conservatives are directing that attack.

Why do you think that Harper ordered that extra security?.. Think about the G20 in Seattle a few years ago and the 100's of millions in damage by the "peaceful" protesters that smashed, looted and ransacked the downtown.

Your entire diatribe doesn't pay lip service to the wanton destruction and costs that had to be absorbed by private individuals and gvt.

Unforgiven

Force majeure
May 28, 2007

Yeah, true enough but there is a long list of people who made the choice to do the wrong thing. From the cop who broke the law and tarnished the reputation of all police officers in Canada, to Chief Blair of the Toronto Police Service who chose to give the order to abuse people's Charter rights, to Dalton McGuinty who Chose to sneak out the legislation, worded it in a way that it was easily confusing, Tony Clement who chose to use G20 as an opportunity for pork barreling and Harper who put the whole fiasco in the middle of the largest city in Canada against the wishes of the people there at a cost 500 times more than G20 summits in Philadelphia, and Pittsburgh. Not to mention those store owners who were forced to chose their business for the weekend, had store fronts vandalized and were told to go to hell over the cost to repair them all in the midst of an economic downturn that closed many a business.

So while Harper should get his ass kicked over it, there is a long line of henchmen who need the boot too.

Why do you think that Harper ordered that extra security?.. Think about the G20 in Seattle a few years ago and the 100's of millions in damage by the "peaceful" protesters that smashed, looted and ransacked the downtown.

Your entire diatribe doesn't pay lip service to the wanton destruction and costs that had to be absorbed by private individuals and gvt.

Yeah the G20 Summit has a reputation so why hold it in downtown Toronto instead of a better suited venue? I'll tell you why, there is no Conservative support in Toronto.

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
A Mouse Once Bit My Sister
Yeah the G20 Summit has a reputation so why hold it in downtown Toronto instead of a better suited venue? I'll tell you why, there is no Conservative support in Toronto.

I am skeptical of the notion that the G20 was held in T.O. for vote-generation considerations. Hell, the knew and expected that there would be problems and there would be collateral ddamage that would look poorly on the Cons.

Unforgiven

Force majeure
May 28, 2007
I am skeptical of the notion that the G20 was held in T.O. for vote-generation considerations. Hell, the knew and expected that there would be problems and there would be collateral ddamage that would look poorly on the Cons.

Which is exactly why Harper put it there. It's not like Toronto is going to turn around and start voting Conservative.
In the Mayor, yes, we just had an NDP Mayor and things need to move back toward the center here. Provincially, less so, because of the fiasco that Harris and the Ontario Conservatives had left when they were voted out. Again following an NDP Premier, there needed to be movement from the left back to center. PC Minister John Baird said Toronto should fu ck off. At this point I don't think they really care much about how Toronto feels about them. They got Fantino in York but the rural areas have always been stronger for the neocons. Most of them hate Toronto too or they would live here.

If there was no Liberal Party, no NDP, no Greens, and only a pedophile named Satan running against the Conservatives, his stronghold would be Toronto. The only thing that give neocons a hope in hell of surviving in Canada is the Bloc. If Quebec had no Bloc party, there would be a Liberal government in Ottawa today.

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location

Don't forget, the exact same thing happens when it's a Liberal gov't in power. Try to think clearly.

It was held in Toronto to boost the economy and make the mayor and premier happy.
Be careful what you wish for, you might get it.

YaYiP

Feb 24, 2011
Hamilton
As someone from the GTA and a young adult, I spend majority of my time in TO. I feel that this is very much "my city". I was in absolute shock when I saw the looting and rioting the first day with the police just steps away and not doing anything about it (with my own eyes). Then to make matters worse, the next day, police abuse the innocent peaceful protesters.

I have a question to any police (peace) officer:

WHY?

I do not care about orders. Even orders offer a choice: obey or disobey. Clearly as a Canadian, as an adult, as a human being you could see that this was truly, morally and ethically wrong.

What will you, the peace officer, do next time? How will you behave? Will you follow unjust orders?

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
Harper, like most of the country could care less what happens in Toronto. Probably because toronto considers its self to be the center of the universe.
But you have to admit that if it wasn't for the track record of the anarchists there would not have been such paranoia about security.

Unforgiven

Force majeure
May 28, 2007
It was held in Toronto to boost the economy and make the mayor and premier happy.
Be careful what you wish for, you might get it.

Who the hell told you that? You need to watch out for people like that because I can tell you man they are your enemy.

I don't know how you can think that this in some way boosted the economy. Downtown Toronto which does a tidy trade every day, was closed for three days. There was no tourism, there was no night life. People were told not to go downtown. Even people who live here left town for the weekend.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
Seems to me that the powers that be have accomplished what they set out to do with that massive show of force - kill the will to protest, free speech and descent. There were probably very few "anarchists" present. Most of the vandalism was cause by agent provocateurs and undercover cops, just like in Quebec City and just about every other G20 summit world wide. Law and Order = Police State. Ya better get used to it. It is what Harper has stated he stands for. Vote that pecker head a majority and see what little freedom you have disappear altogether.

Unforgiven

Force majeure
May 28, 2007
Harper, like most of the country could care less what happens in Toronto. Probably because toronto considers its self to be the center of the universe.

When I ask you what that means "Toronto think's it's the center of the universe" how will you define that tired old saying?

But you have to admit that if it wasn't for the track record of the anarchists there would not have been such paranoia about security.

Yes there is a track record. So with that in mind, how stupid is it to close down Canada's financial center and the downtown of the largest city in the country, where it cost $1,000,000,000 to hold a summit? They knew there would be some sort of reaction, there always is where ever these are held. On top of all of that, to have the security lose it worse than any anarchist, knowingly break the law and violate Charter rights, and then cover up crimes and actively work to prevent justice, that's just a whole new level of disgrace and disservice to this country than ever before.