Harper’s democratic record wins little praise

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
OTTAWA––It was one of those rare times politicians from all parties on Parliament Hill agreed.
They concluded that Canadians’ right to know demanded significant enhancements to the Access to Information Act based on the premise that democracy thrives best in the light of day.
But Justice Minister Rob Nicholson dismissed the October 2009 recommendations from the Commons committee — in direct contrast to the Conservatives’ 2006 promise to be the picture of openness and accountability.
Rest of article: Harper?s democratic record wins little praise - thestar.com

Yup, we need either a new system or new parties. The old parties have grown too corrupt and are stuck in blaming and finger pointing. They couldn't govern a knitting circle. Time for Harper to make good on his promises or get the hell out of Ottawa. And Iggy can go back to the US.

Avro

Time Out
Feb 12, 2007
Oshawa
OTTAWA––It was one of those rare times politicians from all parties on Parliament Hill agreed.
They concluded that Canadians’ right to know demanded significant enhancements to the Access to Information Act based on the premise that democracy thrives best in the light of day.
But Justice Minister Rob Nicholson dismissed the October 2009 recommendations from the Commons committee — in direct contrast to the Conservatives’ 2006 promise to be the picture of openness and accountability.
Rest of article: Harper?s democratic record wins little praise - thestar.com

Yup, we need either a new system or new parties. The old parties have grown too corrupt and are stuck in blaming and finger pointing. They couldn't govern a knitting circle. Time for Harper to make good on his promises or get the hell out of Ottawa. And Iggy can go back to the US.

My sister works for the ministry of environment and you wouldn't believe the tight control the government has on them about any sort of climate information or tar sand concerns.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
My sister works for the ministry of environment and you wouldn't believe the tight control the government has on them about any sort of climate information or tar sand concerns.
Yes I would. I have been watching politics since Pearson and Harper is Canada's ultimate control freak. He is everything he railed against as opposition and promised he wouldn't be. Dude's gotta go. I would hate to see this prick with a majority.

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
Yeah Joe was OK. Steve has a drugprob and I bet I can guess who's feeding the spice to him and how many years he's been whacked. Maybe he shouldn't vacation so much in Israel.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Yes I would. I have been watching politics since Pearson and Harper is Canada's ultimate control freak. He is everything he railed against as opposition and promised he wouldn't be. Dude's gotta go. I would hate to see this prick with a majority.
Remember Mulroney when everbody who could vote got out and voted......6% of Canadians are behind Harper only because those people who only vote or poll when govt corruption leaks out didn't vote.

Yeah Joe was OK. Steve has a drugprob and I bet I can guess who's feeding the spice to him and how many years he's been whacked. Maybe he shouldn't vacation so much in Israel.
Burning off his piles while bobbing around in the Dead Sea doing rail after rail of African coke.. "Hey, Steve what's that on your lip? Salt?

Bar Sinister

Executive Branch Member
Jan 17, 2010
Edmonton
I've always had a problem with the excessive secrecy of all governments in Canada. Why is it that the minutes of cabinet meetings are kept secret for 30 years? It seems to me that in a democracy what the cabinet was discussing in 1981 should be available a little earlier than 2011. However, given the secretive nature of both the Conservatives and Liberals I don't expect any change in any policy regarding the right of Canadians to know anything about what their government is doing.

dumpthemonarchy

House Member
Jan 18, 2005
Vancouver
www.cynicsunlimited.com
Harper likes secrecy which fuels the idea he has a hidden agenda, otherwise, why be so tight lipped? So he will likely not get his majority he so covets. He's just too dull to get a majority, we like PMs with some personality when he speaks, not playing the piano. In terms of personality Harper is more like Clark, Standfield and Turner, and not like Trudeau. Chretien, or Mulroney. So he will muddle along, he is such a plodder, a third liner.