The Canadian conception of human rights?

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
Please help me to understand the popular Canadian conception of human rights.

Seeing that at least a pluralityof Canadians vote for governments that:

1. Choose for Canada to remain a member of the UN,
2. Defend Canada's separate school system,
3. Defend Quebec's sign laws,
4. Choose to ignore our treaties,
5. and willingly wage war abroad in the name of justice,

We must conclude that at least a few Canadians likely believe in all of these ideas simultaneously too. I just can't imagine a person holding all the following thoughts in his head and not see any contradition:

"I think I'll vote with the majority of Ontarians in defending the separate school system (or Quebecers defending its sign laws), in spite of international resolutions opposing it, and with the majority of Canadians in ignoring our treaty obligations entered into in good faith. However, I also think we should remain members of these organizations for the photo op and also so that we can condemn other countries via these organizations when it suits us, and wage war against them when they don't live up to international laws. But again, I think it's absolutely fabulous that we give Catholics such special privileges in Ontario and that we suppress the right to put up an equal-sized English-sign in Quebec and that we have wiped our asses clean of our treaties, and anyone who criticizes us for it should just look at Iran which is even worse."

How do you rationalize all of this in your head?

It would seem to me that a rational person who does not recognize the UN when it criticizes Canada would also not recognize it when it criticizes other countries and so would rather just withdraw from the UN, not just play both sides of it when it suits him.

Also, would a Canadian who truly cares about human rights not vote to eliminate the separate school system? How does he vote to support the injustice and then put a 'support our troops' sticker on the back of his car and see absolutely no contradiction there whatsoever?

The Old Medic

Council Member
May 16, 2010
The World
You may want to check out just how often Canada has been cited by the United Nations Commission on Human Rights for violating the rights of its own people.

The answer will shock most Canadians, who think that "their country is above reproach".

Canada is the ONLY western country that has effectively totally and completely denied its indigenous peoples any rights, has systematically attempted to force them into mandated assimilation, has removed their rights upon marriage to a "non-native", that requires that no native band or tribe can determine its own membership or even determine who is, and who is not, a native.

According to the Supreme Court of Canada, the two treaties that ended the American Revolution and the War of 1812, are utterly meaningless because Canada has not implemented any legislation to bring the various clauses of those treaties into being. The fact that Canada as a country did not exist when those treaties were signed is immaterial.

I do find it interesting that the USA follows the clauses dealing with the right of natives to the latter, while Canada refuses to do so.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
You may want to check out just how often Canada has been cited by the United Nations Commission on Human Rights for violating the rights of its own people.

The answer will shock most Canadians, who think that "their country is above reproach".

Canada is the ONLY western country that has effectively totally and completely denied its indigenous peoples any rights, has systematically attempted to force them into mandated assimilation, has removed their rights upon marriage to a "non-native", that requires that no native band or tribe can determine its own membership or even determine who is, and who is not, a native.

According to the Supreme Court of Canada, the two treaties that ended the American Revolution and the War of 1812, are utterly meaningless because Canada has not implemented any legislation to bring the various clauses of those treaties into being. The fact that Canada as a country did not exist when those treaties were signed is immaterial.

I do find it interesting that the USA follows the clauses dealing with the right of natives to the latter, while Canada refuses to do so.
And yet there are people who think that the indigenous people have all kinds of rights and privileges that other Canadians do not. Most Canadians do not have a clue about how governments treat our indigenous people.

ironsides

Executive Branch Member
Feb 13, 2009
United States
Since Canada has ignored and violated the terms of the Treaty of Paris and the Treaty of Ghent, I herby claim Canada as a territory belonging to the United States. Seriously, Canada has a major problem the way it treats its indigenous people. That should be your number one concern before throwing stones at other countries for their mistakes.