Snakes in the grass

Unforgiven

Force majeure
May 28, 2007
OTTAWA—The CRTC is proposing a regulatory change that would give Canadian TV and radio stations more leeway to broadcast false or misleading news.

Current regulations contain a blanket prohibition on broadcasting “any false or misleading news.”

The Canadian Radio-Television Telecommunications Commission wants to considerably narrow the scope of that prohibition.

It is proposing to ban broadcasters from knowingly airing false or misleading news which is likely to endanger the lives, health or safety of the public.

Communications law expert Michael Geist says the proposed ban is far too limited, doing nothing to address all kinds of harm that can be caused by false news, other than to life and limb.

The CRTC says the change was requested by a parliamentary committee which feared the current sweeping prohibition was too broad and vague and wouldn’t stand up to a challenge under the Charter of Rights.

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
False information is the norm and has been for more years than I can appreciate, all regardless of existing law. So this is more spinning smoke. What will happen is that we will be misinformed like never before, as the empire unravels the stories will become more preposterous. An accomplishment of note, considering the despicable state of main line journalism in a Canada.

GreenFish66

House Member
Apr 16, 2008
www.myspace.com
I pay my internet Fee's, let me watch American /Global Tv Online, if I choose to ...Although, I do anyway ..When I choose to ...

Let "The People" decide what Drivel they wanna Watch/Believe ...

*F%$# Off CRTC!...;)....( *Flick/Click it Off :))

Last edited: