Extreme Politics is the new Forum Bloodsport

Retired_Can_Soldier

The End of the Dog is Coming!
Mar 19, 2006
Alberta
Polarization. Leftard, Neo-Con, Tree Hugger, Apologist...

All key words that come up when politics get heated in the forum arena, but are the left and right really as polarized as some think or is it the extreme fringe that gives us that impression? In my opinion, as a right wing baby killing warmongering racist, the left and right are not really that far apart.

To offer an example we need only to look at the Demographic here at Canadian Content. There are individuals from both sides of the political spectrum. To drop a few names. Unforgiven/CDN Bear/Karrie/Gerryh/Tonington. Wow that's 5 to 1, hang on a second while I wash all the liberalism off my monitor. Of these five names I see a vast diversity of opinions that don't necessarily adhere to the core values of what might be considered extreme left or right.

In Unforgiven's case he is Left leaning on social issues, but is still a centrist or even (dare I say) a little right when it comes to security and issues of war. Certainly not a hug a thug, make peace not war as some might accuse.

Tonington is an environmentalist, but again his stance can sway left or right depending on what issue he is in debate about.

Gerryh, admittedly Liberal, pro life, anti war, as vicious as a rattlesnake with spinal bifida when you piss him off.

CDN Bear, brawn, kill em all let god sort em out, but a free thinker with kamikaze attitude when challenged.

Karrie is left leaning, but she is very reasoned in her approach to things. When people are calling each other everything under the sun Karrie is cool headed and usually the voice of reason.

Canadian Content is full of individuals like these, as is North America. The Extreme Polarization we hear about is really a myth and can actually be adapted to the few who feed off this sort of thing. The Obermans', the Oreillys, the Moores, and the Coulters are all manifestations of the assumption that the world we live in its based on two extremes. In my opinion, anyone who buys into that philosophy has really drank the kool aid these talking heads are serving up.

The extremes from left or right is not really a philosphy, but a commodity put up for public consumption.

I know that if you cut through the baloney and the soap box pontificating you will find people who have more in common than maybe they are willing to admit. Those who stand outside the gathering of Left and Right at the fringe of extremity are not the true reflection of society, but a minority of disingenuous individuals unable to think for themselves and taking their cues from manufactured opinion.

The first snipe to derail this discussion will prove my point.

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
The right has adopted the bloodsport as a TV commodity. I watch Fox News and sometimes CNN. Mostly out of curiosity for what's happening to the south. I watch O'Reilly and kind of like the guy but not so much the constant spin. It never ceases to amaze me how Fox constantly pushes the "Liberal" hate machine. I don't care what people think about CNN but it simply doesn't do that. The left is more openly bloodsport in the blogosphere and demented conspiracy sites, but not so flagrantly on TV as the right. There is simply more money on the right to invest in bloodsport.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
Polarization. Leftard, Neo-Con, Tree Hugger, Apologist...

All key words that come up when politics get heated in the forum arena, but are the left and right really as polarized as some think or is it the extreme fringe that gives us that impression?
Yep

In my opinion, as a right wing baby killing warmongering racist, the left and right are not really that far apart.

CDN Bear, brawn, kill em all let god sort em out, but a free thinker with kamikaze attitude when challenged.
You forgot pro choice, pro gay marriage, pro Native rights, pot growing hippy, neanderthal.

The problem is the left progressive fringe here. The ones that can't wrap their collective heads around commonsense, logic, critical thought and fact.

They instead prefer to dwell in anecdotal evidence, unsubstantiated claims and all out hearsay. When force fed fact, they ignore it, or dismiss it, without some much as a cursory attempt to disprove it.

Prone to fantasy and wistful imaginary visages, the progressive left is pervasive and should be allowed to speak publicly at all costs. That way their lies can can be seen, addressed and dismantled with documented evidence, as needed.

The same can be as easily said for the fringe right, which we really don't have much of floating around here.

No Mark, not even you can be considered a fringe right winger, if one were to examine the whole of your ideologies.

Things get complicated when you see people that have a moderate left or right ideology on most subjects, pick one subject to be a fringe thinker in.

Retired_Can_Soldier

The End of the Dog is Coming!
Mar 19, 2006
Alberta
The right has adopted the bloodsport as a TV commodity. I watch Fox News and sometimes CNN. Mostly out of curiosity for what's happening to the south. I watch O'Reilly and kind of like the guy but not so much the constant spin. It never ceases to amaze me how Fox constantly pushes the "Liberal" hate machine. I don't care what people think about CNN but it simply doesn't do that. The left is more openly bloodsport in the blogosphere and demented conspiracy sites, but not so flagrantly on TV as the right. There is simply more money on the right to invest in bloodsport.

I don't think that what is being sold is being bought hook line and sinker. Your post points out that you watch O'Reilly, not because you value his opinion, but look at him as an entertainer.

You forgot pro choice, pro gay marriage, pro Native rights, pot growing hippy, neanderthal.

No Mark, not even you can be considered a fringe right winger, if one were to examine the whole of your ideologies.

Things get complicated when you see people that have a moderate left or right ideology on most subjects, pick one subject to be a fringe thinker in.

No I didn't forget, I just didn't want to take an Edith Bunker detour.

Your second point nails what I am trying to say.

wulfie68

Council Member
Mar 29, 2009
Calgary, AB

It may be the right driving a lot of this in the US but in Canada much of this attitude was fostered by the "divide and conquer" attitude of the Liberals, dating at least back to Trudeau and his disciple and friend, Chretien (I'll admit it may go farther back but that pretty much covers my life span so I can't comment on pre-Trudeau as I didn't live through the times). This in turned fostered a lot of resentment with a lot of the "divided and conquered", which invariably continues to build and will continue to do so, unless addressed, which is highly unlikely with the regional focus Canadians tend to have. Thus you give birth to more reactionary movements, like the Reform party, which in turn was denigrated by the "establishment" as having the infamous "hidden agenda", coined by the Liberals and picked up on by the NDP, despite numerous defections, floor crossings and other means for dissenting views to exit the party. And while Harper has read Chretien's book and using many of the same tactics, I will give Mulroney a pass because simply, he didn't need to and didn't resort to the same type of tactics to maintain his power base.

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
It may be the right driving a lot of this in the US but in Canada much of this attitude was fostered by the "divide and conquer" attitude of the Liberals, dating at least back to Trudeau and his disciple and friend, Chretien (I'll admit it may go farther back but that pretty much covers my life span so I can't comment on pre-Trudeau as I didn't live through the times). This in turned fostered a lot of resentment with a lot of the "divided and conquered", which invariably continues to build and will continue to do so, unless addressed, which is highly unlikely with the regional focus Canadians tend to have. Thus you give birth to more reactionary movements, like the Reform party, which in turn was denigrated by the "establishment" as having the infamous "hidden agenda", coined by the Liberals and picked up on by the NDP, despite numerous defections, floor crossings and other means for dissenting views to exit the party. And while Harper has read Chretien's book and using many of the same tactics, I will give Mulroney a pass because simply, he didn't need to and didn't resort to the same type of tactics to maintain his power base.
I disagree. Canadians aren't into political charades. We (as a country) don't put up with the gamesmanship that goes on in the US. Canadians, as a majority opinion, don't support the right to an abortion because it is a leftwing thing. Canadians judge issues as being right or wrong, not right or left.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
I disagree. Canadians aren't into political charades. We (as a country) don't put up with the gamesmanship that goes on in the US. Canadians, as a majority opinion, don't support the right to an abortion because it is a leftwing thing. Canadians judge issues as being right or wrong, not right or left.
I think it;s the same way in the US. It just so happens, as it does here as well, that what some people think is right or wrong, also plays into their political compass.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Canadians judge issues as being right or wrong, not right or left.
And by blaming a party for your own inaction ranks right up there with conspiracy theories when blaming the right or left for personal misfourtunes or why things are the way they are.

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
I think it;s the same way in the US. It just so happens, as it does here as well, that what some people think is right or wrong, also plays into their political compass.
Plus, in Canada we aren't nearly as influenced (and/or divided) by religious beliefs. There is no rational debate with someone who refuses to see another side. Canadians, in general, will debate the issues and not be swayed by polarizing belief systems.

And by blaming a party for your own inaction ranks right up there with conspiracy theories when blaming the right or left for personal misfourtunes or why things are the way they are.
And that happens where?

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
Plus, in Canada we aren't nearly as influenced (and/or divided) by religious beliefs. There is no rational debate with someone who refuses to see another side. Canadians, in general, will debate the issues and not be swayed by polarizing belief systems.
I could agree with that.

But we certainly aren't isolated from it. We see it in several Canadians on these boards.

DaSleeper

Trolling Hypocrites
May 27, 2007
Northern Ontario,
For me, several years ago when the left started "indoctrinating" college and University student (and the result can be seen in the reception Ann Coulter got and a few others who's names escape me at the moment)...And having been a gun ownwer and target shooter since I was eight....
Guess which side I'm on???:smile:

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
I could agree with that.

But we certainly aren't isolated from it. We see it in several Canadians on these boards.
True. Boards attract extremes. Most Canadians couldn't give a rats behind about most of the issues we chat about here.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
For me, several years ago when the left started "indoctrinating" college and University student (and the result can be seen in the reception Ann Coulter got and a few others who's names escape me at the moment)...And having been a gun ownwer and target shooter since I was eight....
Guess which side I'm on???:smile:
Wendy Cukier's?

True. Boards attract extremes. Most Canadians couldn't give a rats behind about most of the issues we chat about here.
I agree, and I find that troubling.

I also attribute that to the dismal level of professionalism, quality and ethics in Canadian politics.

On either side of the spectrum.

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
It's a good subject for discussion RTS has initiated. Divide and conquer, so old it should have been pounded into us since grade one. I was a lefty I was a righty I was a centrist, conservative about some stuff liberal about some other stuff. I have changed, maybe for the better I think,. So many times the labels prevent productive dialogue right at the beginning of what could be very valuable exchanges. Who's game is that? When did they start? What is their payoff?

DaSleeper

Trolling Hypocrites
May 27, 2007
Northern Ontario,
And what I have noticed in the three years I have been reading this forum...nobody's view have been changed by much and those that were on the left of the political spectrum are still on the left and the right hasn't changed either..
And those that can recognize that fact can start having fun and not be so uptight about it.....non?