Mandatory Compliance with Canadian Labour Laws for Factory Workers in Foreign Lands

AKA

Nov 30, 2010
Hey all,

I'm new to this site, so please be patient with me as I try to talk to you all about this.

I have this idea that there should be fair labour laws for the people who make the products we buy, regardless of the country they live in. So could our government pass a law requiring that all imported products are made by workers who have some sort of minimum standard for workplace safety, hours, and pay?

Any thoughts?

Rob.

coldstream

on dbl secret probation
Oct 19, 2005
Chillliwack, BC
Welcome AKA.

My response to your proposal is that it is well intentioned, but unenforcable. The only way to reverse the disastrous dismantling of our economy that Free Trade has imposed on our nation, is re-institute the National Policies of John A. MacDonald, by re-establishing a rigorous and permanent system of tariffs to protect Canadian industries from exploitive labour pratices that have been given free reign by the Global Free Market paradigm.

We need to re-establish our sovereignty over our currency and credit, by rescinding the international dictates of Monetarism, in order to provide for a vital environment for internal investment and development of industry. It is essentially the system we had before the rescinding of the Bretton Woods Agreement in the early 1970's and the rise of a criminal conspiracy by international oligarchs under the auspices of the WTO.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
Hey all,

I'm new to this site, so please be patient with me as I try to talk to you all about this.

I have this idea that there should be fair labour laws for the people who make the products we buy, regardless of the country they live in. So could our government pass a law requiring that all imported products are made by workers who have some sort of minimum standard for workplace safety, hours, and pay?

Any thoughts?

Rob.

And perhaps that we would have to maintain the same standards (none) for the environment for shall we say oil exported to China. It is a 2 way street.

AKA

Nov 30, 2010
Thanks for the reply Coldstream and Goober.

I think I'm a free market kind of guy. I don't like the idea of gumming things up with bureaucracy and red tape. But it does seem unfair that business A in Canada can't compete with business B in China for Canadian dollars because business B doesn't have to play by Canadian rules to win those dollars. There has to be some way to level the playing field.

My concern is that the dictators who don't care about justice for their people will end up owning us in the long run. Then we'll end up in the same boat. I think Martin Luther King said something about injustice for the one turning into injustice for all. Are we drinking a coolaid of cheap imports?

Why do you think it would be unenforceable, Coldstream?

I think you are right Goober that oil produced by a dictatorship probably hasn't the environmental concern that we do.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving

I think I'm a free market kind of guy. I don't like the idea of gumming things up with bureaucracy and red tape. But it does seem unfair that business A in Canada can't compete with business B in China for Canadian dollars because business B doesn't have to play by Canadian rules to win those dollars. There has to be some way to level the playing field.

My concern is that the dictators who don't care about justice for their people will end up owning us in the long run. Then we'll end up in the same boat. I think Martin Luther King said something about injustice for the one turning into injustice for all. Are we drinking a coolaid of cheap imports?

I think you are right Goober that oil produced by a dictatorship probably hasn't the environmental concern that we do.

Look at the rare earths that are used in your TV that you watch, your computer, your phone and on and on. Then look at China and how they mine it

Next - 3 years ago, i had a heart attack. For 30 days after the protocol is blood thinners. They come, the majority from china. look at how it is made.

next look into china with the tainted, milk formula, cough syrup that was exported to South America, toothpaste.

Tell me why we in the West do not confront China over production and safe procedures, quality control that can be traced and not subjected to bribery as is all to common in China, for manufacturing these things that come to the west.

I think the West, Europe should set standards that if not enforced and verifiable, then plan to delist that product as acceptable for import. It would mean a price increse for many items but is that a large price to pay.

It would also weed out those companies that are boderline legal shall we say.

Money for one.

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location

Unless the consumers decide to vote with their dollars.

You don't think WalMart would be so successful if shoppers cared about where stuff was made, do you?

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
Unless the consumers decide to vote with their dollars.

You don't think Wal Mart would be so successful if shoppers cared about where stuff was made, do you?
I do not think Wal Mart would be to enthused about having a number of their Chinese made products held up for the various tests, like lead, small parts for children etc.

The add in the number of other products that have been found to be at the least below standard, to the worst causing large numbers of deaths.

I think they would be all over their suppliers. Don't you?

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
Hey all,

Any thoughts?

Rob.

It could be a good idea, possibly. But we need to consider a few points:

1. How would we enforce it? I suppose we could set up an organization that would operate from Canada's embassies abroad, and that participating companies would have to pay a service feeto this regulatory agency. Since it would be abroad, it would be totally voluntary since Canada has no jurisdiction abroad. However, participating companies would have to pay the fee, meet the required standards, and thus get the stamp of apporval that allows them to sell barrier-free to Canada. To avoid accusations of double standards, of course companies in Canada would also have to pay the necessary fee to Canada's labour department to regulate them (rather than have taxpayer support the department directly, though granted the Canadian consumer will still pay these costs indirectly owing to its being an overhead cost of the company that will simply be passed on to the consumer).

2. We must accept that prices will likely rise as a result, causing inflation which would hit Canada's poorest the most.

3. We must beware of retaliatory policies from other countries that could impose similar trade restrictions on Canada. After all, Canadian labour laws might be of a higher standard than that of other countries on some fronts, but possibly lower on other fronts.

One positive thing I see with such a policy (and this is a BIG plus) is that a foreign company would not be penalized owing to its country's and Canada's political relations. Essentially, while Canada would be free to introduce all the tarrifs and quotas it wants on other countries, any company, anywhere in the world, that meets Canadian labour standards would automaticlaly be exempt from any such tarrifs, quotas, embargos, etc.

That positive aside, though I'm not against the idea per se, I'd want to know what the likelyhood of retaliation is. Overall I'd rather an open market all around, but if that's not possible, then your proposal above could be viewed as a preferable compromise than the current one where all companies are penalised by Canadian tarrifs. Thi way a company always has a way out regarless of any Canadian tarrif, quota or embargo.

Welcome AKA.

My response to your proposal is that it is well intentioned, but unenforcable. The only way to reverse the disastrous dismantling of our economy that Free Trade has imposed on our nation, is re-institute the National Policies of John A. MacDonald, by re-establishing a rigorous and permanent system of tariffs to protect Canadian industries from exploitive labour pratices that have been given free reign by the Global Free Market paradigm.

We need to re-establish our sovereignty over our currency and credit, by rescinding the international dictates of Monetarism, in order to provide for a vital environment for internal investment and development of industry. It is essentially the system we had before the rescinding of the Bretton Woods Agreement in the early 1970's and the rise of a criminal conspiracy by international oligarchs under the auspices of the WTO.

I see. And there will be no retaliation in kind? What goes around comes around. If we raise tarrifs against other countries, they risk retaliating, thus hurting our industries too. In the end, it becomes a tit-for-tat war in which neither side gains and both sides suffer. Brilliant!

As for enforcement, it would not be easy to enforce, but possible. For instance, let's say Canada established a labour department at all of its embassies abroad, raised tarrifs across the board, made membership to the labour department open to all, and then gave totally free access to Canadian markets to all companies that meet our labour standards, then they would have an incentive to cooperate if they see a major market opportunity in Canada. I don't see it as a necessarily good idea since it could also push inflation in Canada, but on the other hand, it's no worse than the current universal tarrifs we have which also inflate prices anyway. In fact if anything, the proposal in the OP would likely be preferable to what we have now since at least a company would have a way around the tarrifs, quotas and embargos.

Politically, it could also be devastating for oppressive regimes. Imagine for a moment that Canada has an embargo against North Korea and announces that it is willing to establish a labour office at a Canadian embassy in North Korea for all North Korean companies that want to participate, thereby potentially exempting them from our tarrifs.

If this offer becomes universally known in North Korea but the North Korean government will have none of it, then suddenly some North Korean companies might become a little irate with their government.

Now while I like the idea of the OP in principle, I will say that in my opinion, Canadian labour law itself needs a revamp mind you.

While I could see the idea in the OP as being potentially feasible, we need to consider too that in poorer countries, even in a democratic ssytem, their priorities are sometimes different from ours. For instance, in India I'm sure that the environment currently takes a far second place over raising the people's salaries, not because the environment is not important, but rather because food comes first. Looking at it that way, let's say we introduced our minimum wage laws to Indian companies. There is a risk that many would simply stop selling to Canada, causing unemployment, and so any advances in environmental policy in India would suddenly be reversed so as to alleviate the burden on the population as a temporary solution.

Looking at it that way, we need to ensure we avoid dong more harm than good. One solution I could see would be replacing any kind of minimum wage with a simple democratization of the workplace, such as codetermination laws. This would mean that the workers of more profitable companies would have the ability to negotiate higher salaries for themselves whereas those of les profitable companies would willingly take pay cuts while also ensuring that management take them too.

This would ensure that workers have a voice in the company and real empowerment to look after their own interests rather than a minimum age imposed from above. Besides, if we want to introduce economic democracy, we can't act like economic dictators ourselves.

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
Economically I am a nationalist and would have no problem with establishing the policy
protection for Canadian jobs. The fact is, as time goes on, we will be sitting pretty good
we have the water, minerals, and access to an abundance of food. There are others who
are not so lucky. We should have one price for Canadians and one price for the world.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
Economically I am a nationalist and would have no problem with establishing the policy
protection for Canadian jobs. The fact is, as time goes on, we will be sitting pretty good
we have the water, minerals, and access to an abundance of food. There are others who
are not so lucky. We should have one price for Canadians and one price for the world.

1. There are resources we may be short on.

2. It's not just natural resources, but sometimes human resources too. For instance, what if onecountry has an abundance of workers with a particular skill set that we just don't have? Sure we can send students there to learn that skill and import it back, but that can take awhile, and add to that that if they retaliate against us, well, there might be a separate price for our students too. It coud come back to bite us in the rear.

In the end, when it comes to economics, we can't go buy some motional knee-jerk reaction to romantic naitonalism, but straight logic, or else people can actually get hurt via job losses, inflation, etc. These are not just economic terms; they actually affect lives.

On a separate note, I was thinking about the OP today and realised it had another flaw. Imagine if each country's embassy in all countires required companies from all countries to be inspected by each embassy to get approval to sell in each country. That would be one hell of a bureaucracy.

Another solution would be to establish some kind of grading system via the UN. For instance, 9 would be the top grade, and 1 the lowest grade. The standards set for each grade would be clearly defined in such a wa as to be objectively meaurable, and each country could set the standard of its choice that all selles within its boder must meet, even if the product originates from abroad. This way, we'd have one agency dealing with all inspections rather than having multiple overlapping bureaucracies.

Trotz

Electoral Member
May 20, 2010
Alberta

Agreed. However, our economic policy has been schizophrenic at times. Trudeau's protectionism in form of the branch plant economy had distracted from our actual reality of being a staples-based economy!

Unfortunately, we certainty do need protectionism in our staples-based economy. We have a severe problem in this country that foreigners, and I don't mean just Americans, are in control of our staple industries. For instance a Brazillian company, Vale, owns one of the largest nickel mines in Canada! Technically, the fact that a foreign organization can own our resources should be construed as treason under the principles of the nation state, nevermind that the proceeds of such international companies are returning to their corporate headquarters outside of Canada.

We're talking about billions of dollars that should otherwise have remained in the Canadian economy.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Technically, the fact that a foreign organization can own our resources should be construed as treason under the principles of the nation state, nevermind that the proceeds of such international companies are returning to their corporate headquarters outside of Canada.
Hang on a second there Trotzky. Does that mean Canadian companies should get out of Brazil?

AKA

Nov 30, 2010
Hmm,

Please, keep the UN out of it. :) I'm not sure there would be a way to avoid some bureaucracy. Maybe we already have some processes in place. A lot of items have to get the CSA sticker to be sold in Canada. I'm not sure what categories of products it covers. I'm sure there is some process to get that green patch on boots.

Actually, I'm less concerned about nationalism in this discussion. My starting point for this was considering justice and fairness for workers in other countries. I don't like the bad working conditions for them and I'm thinking that when we gain the benefit of their exploitation, we open ourselves up to exploitation of a different kind. The principle I'm looking at is that doing the moral thing will in the end lead to our prosperity.

Does anyone know very much about the results of abolishing the slave trade? Did it result in financial hardship for all? For the poor?
Kind of an extreme comparison, but you see where I'm going with this.

wulfie68

Council Member
Mar 29, 2009
Calgary, AB
Hmm,

Please, keep the UN out of it. :) I'm not sure there would be a way to avoid some bureaucracy. Maybe we already have some processes in place. A lot of items have to get the CSA sticker to be sold in Canada. I'm not sure what categories of products it covers. I'm sure there is some process to get that green patch on boots.

CSA certification is required anywhere a product is governed by some sort of safety code, be it on things like workboots, electronics, or whatever. Any product imported into Canada has to get this certification at some point before it can be sold or utilized by the importer. We used to have to get this done for some electronic equipment we imported from the UK at an old employer. The inspectors aren't always gov't agencies/employees but are certified by the gov't and can have their accreditation revoked if they aren't doing their job properly.

As far as expanding the limits of what the CSA covers, we have to be careful in that we have the capability to actually inspect what we say we want to regulate (in terms of ability and necessary manpower), or we're not changing anything, just adding more bureaucracy. I'm a believer that we (and not just Canadians but ALL western countries) should be holding countries like China to a much higher standard when it comes to their products entering our countries. The pet food from contaminated Chinese gluten, the lead in children's toys manufactured in China, are just two examples of where Chinese "competive advantages" have real and direct negative impact on our society, and this should not be tolerated, regardless of the source.

Actually, I'm less concerned about nationalism in this discussion. My starting point for this was considering justice and fairness for workers in other countries. I don't like the bad working conditions for them and I'm thinking that when we gain the benefit of their exploitation, we open ourselves up to exploitation of a different kind. The principle I'm looking at is that doing the moral thing will in the end lead to our prosperity.

The problem your idea runs into, as others have said is that we have no way (or real right) to enforce what goes on outside our borders. Conversely, we have EVERY right (and I would argue an obligation to our citizenry) to ensure that products that enter our country meet every applicable health, safety and environmental standard. Unfortunately, that would likely mean higher prices at the retail end, but it may also mean that "made in Canada" is no longer quite so uncompetitively priced as it is now.

Does anyone know very much about the results of abolishing the slave trade? Did it result in financial hardship for all? For the poor?

If you're asking about the American experience in that regard I haven't looked into it a lot but if you look at the wealth distribution demographics today, descendents of the slaves are still a relatively poor group. Abolishing slavery and freeing slaves usually means little in terms of wealth distribution. In many cases they are "free to starve": the jobs they were doing as slaves (usually low skill labour) are now available in some cases but at a low wage and jobs that lower case free people were doing before there emanicipation have a larger potential manpower pool to draw and can cut wages because of the ease of replacing people.

Trotz

Electoral Member
May 20, 2010
Alberta
If you're asking about the American experience in that regard I haven't looked into it a lot but if you look at the wealth distribution demographics today, descendents of the slaves are still a relatively poor group. Abolishing slavery and freeing slaves usually means little in terms of wealth distribution. In many cases they are "free to starve": the jobs they were doing as slaves (usually low skill labour) are now available in some cases but at a low wage and jobs that lower case free people were doing before there emanicipation have a larger potential manpower pool to draw and can cut wages because of the ease of replacing people.

In other words, there was no point in mentioning slaves as there has always been compression of wages, or as Marx said, a deviation towards the means of subsistence (which in our day means the million dollar mortage, an automobile, and 2.1 kids. Though in a globalized workforce this means for us Canadians that we might end up in shacks within the century).

I think the problem your mentioning has more to do with standardization and Ford economics. Namely, workers these days, despite a lot of kids graduating with flunky degrees, aren't exactly skilled or have actual skillsets. Long gone at the days in which people assembled entire cars.
Instead, on a car manufactoring line, your job might just consist of riveting a couple of bolts and for this reason, as anyone can learn to do this, makes you easily replacable.

AKA

Nov 30, 2010
Wulfie68 said:

"The problem your idea runs into, as others have said is that we have no way (or real right) to enforce what goes on outside our borders. Conversely, we have EVERY right (and I would argue an obligation to our citizenry) to ensure that products that enter our country meet every applicable health, safety and environmental standard. Unfortunately, that would likely mean higher prices at the retail end, but it may also mean that "made in Canada" is no longer quite so uncompetitively priced as it is now."

I agree that we can't force sovereign nations to adopt fair policies. But Canada is also a sovereign nation and can refuse products that weren't made with fair working standards. I'm all for spending money on inspectors to make sure that factories comply with some sort of equivalency for the worker in the foreign country. If the factory does not comply, we simply don't let the product across our border. Companies who want to do business in Canada already have certain requirements to meet when importing a product. Adding another requirement is just putting it on paper. The company becomes aware and jumps through the new hoops. The equivalency standard can be set by some new office set up in Canada which looks at the cost of a minimum standard according to whatever country we're talking about. I think this is possible to do, and maybe very necessary for every nation, considering globalization. This way we're also not stepping on the toes of sovereign nations.

I think a minimum standard of living is not hard to figure out. Enough money for cloths, safe shelter, food, education, health care and a little extra to invest in family or other cultural or business ventures. Depending on the country, we're still talking about way less than Canadians make. No more than six days a week of work in a row. Workday caps of 12hrs., 14 with extra pay. Safe work environments.

Wulfie68 said:

"The problem your idea runs into, as others have said is that we have no way (or real right) to enforce what goes on outside our borders. Conversely, we have EVERY right (and I would argue an obligation to our citizenry) to ensure that products that enter our country meet every applicable health, safety and environmental standard. Unfortunately, that would likely mean higher prices at the retail end, but it may also mean that "made in Canada" is no longer quite so uncompetitively priced as it is now."

I agree that we can't force sovereign nations to adopt fair policies. But Canada is also a sovereign nation and can refuse products that weren't made with fair working standards. I'm all for spending money on inspectors to make sure that factories comply with some sort of equivalency for the worker in the foreign country. If the factory does not comply, we simply don't let the product across our border. Companies who want to do business in Canada already have certain requirements to meet when importing a product. Adding another requirement is just putting it on paper. The company becomes aware and jumps through the new hoops. The equivalency standard can be set by some new office set up in Canada which looks at the cost of a minimum standard according to whatever country we're talking about. I think this is possible to do, and maybe very necessary for every nation, considering globalization. This way we're also not stepping on the toes of sovereign nations.

I think a minimum standard of living is not hard to figure out. Enough money for cloths, safe shelter, food, education, health care and a little extra to invest in family or other cultural or business ventures. Depending on the country, we're still talking about way less than Canadians make. No more than six days a week of work in a row. Workday caps of 12hrs., 14 with extra pay. Safe work environments.

Trotz

Electoral Member
May 20, 2010
Alberta
Wulfie68 said:

A bit irrevelent considering the consumer price index. I've met people in second and third world countries ('Global South') who make fractions of our minimal salary (say $28,000 a year) and have better access to medicare, clothing, shelter, et al, than most American and Canadians do.

AKA

Nov 30, 2010
A bit irrevelent considering the consumer price index. I've met people in second and third world countries ('Global South') who make fractions of our minimal salary (say $28,000 a year) and have better access to medicare, clothing, shelter, et al, than most American and Canadians do.

My point exactly. That's why I said "depending on the country". Globally businesses in other countries could compete with lower wages while still meeting a minimum requirement. Not an irrelevant point. We would have no problem trading with those countries based on labour issues.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
Hmm,

We could keep the UN out of it, but then we'd need some other inter-governmental organization to establish and maintain some agreed-upon grading system. The alternative would be the following:

Canada requires foreign companies to pas various Canadian tests, and so other countries retaliate requiring the same of Canada, but with each country having its own national grading system. Suddenly, a Canadian company wanting to export to a dozen countries suddenly has to to know the rules of a dozen countries, meet those specifications for each country, send each product to the appropriate of a dozen different centres for testing before it can finally be exported. Clearly if foreign companies need only worry about the Canadian standards whereas Canadian companies feel the brunt of retaliation from multiple countries, we'd suffer big time.

My point exactly. That's why I said "depending on the country". Globally businesses in other countries could compete with lower wages while still meeting a minimum requirement. Not an irrelevant point. We would have no problem trading with those countries based on labour issues.

Then you could potentially be asking for a big bureaucracy. With each country having a different rate of inflation, cost of living index, social and cultural expectations, etc., you'd need a full-time staff always calculating and recalculating as currencies fluctuate, always changing the expected minimum wage from year to year, etc. This would only frustrate many companies, not to mention retaliation in kind against Canada.

If we are to do something like this, we'd have to focus on universally applicable and adaptable standards, such as basic standards to democratize the workplace so that workers can negotiate a fair wage etc. rather than some arbitrary minimum wage that would need to be revised on a constant basis.

Don't forget, we're talking about different currencies here with different rates of inflation, Bank lending rates, etc.