Child Predators - Mandatory Minimums

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
Tories today announce a Bill that will have Mandatory Minimums for Child Predators.
Why did it take so long?

Conservatives propose tougher penalties for child predators - The Globe and Mail

Mandatory sentences instead of house arrest for luring a child are among the penalties sex predators would face under proposed Conservative government legislation.

Justice Minister Rob Nicholson laid out the details of the bill today in Toronto.
The bill, tabled in Ottawa, would establish mandatory prison sentences for seven existing Criminal Code offences, including sexual assault and aggravated assault.

Conditional sentences such as house arrest would no longer be available.

The government also wants to increase mandatory prison sentences for some sexual offences, as well as create two new offences to prevent child exploitation.

The new offences would make it illegal for anyone to provide sexually explicit material to a child for the purpose of committing a sexual offence, also known as “grooming.”

It would also make it illegal for two adults to communicate through the Internet to make an arrangement to commit a sexual offence against a child.

Mr. Nicholson says abuse of a child causes “irreparable harm” to the most vulnerable in society and he wants tougher penalties for those who commit such crimes.

shadowshiv

Dark Overlord
May 29, 2007
I hope that this will someday go into effect. That being said, they always seem to drag their feet when it comes to toughening the punishments. How long has it been since it was announced that they would toughen the Youth Justice Act and get rid of the 2x, 3x credit for pre-trial jail time?8O

I hope that due to the victims of this particular crime they bring this to bear sooner rather than later.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
I hope that this will someday go into effect. That being said, they always seem to drag their feet when it comes to toughening the punishments. How long has it been since it was announced that they would toughen the Youth Justice Act and get rid of the 2x, 3x credit for pre-trial jail time?8O

I hope that due to the victims of this particular crime they bring this to bear sooner rather than later.
My opinion - Election coming up Tories waited specifically on this bill so that they would have the so called moral high ground - This bill could have Bent passed years ago and harper waited. long term plan - He sucks as far as i am concerned and the Liberals as well.

Both of them are like a freaking disease that comes back, gets treated and morphs into a slightly different version. Then the morphing process starts again.

I think we would be better off if we could bar all present politicians - Prov / Fed from running in the next election - It could not be any worse than the current leadership of both major parties.

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
Where have the Liberals or NDP been? Are they protecting their base by not presenting their own version of such a bill? It's no wonder the Conservatives waited, the left in Canada never changes.

Unforgiven

Force majeure
May 28, 2007
You don't need to punish child predators you need to segregate them from society. Consider, if we put you in jail for ten years would you stop being heterosexual or homosexual? Of course not, you would remain with your sexual preference until you kicked the bucket. Why is it considered that someone who has a sexual preference for children will stop if they are in jail for a specific amount of time? The humane thing to do is make a place for those who can't function in society and allow them to make a meaningful life that is at the same time away from those they victimize forever. No need to hurt them unduly or torture them for some sense of perverse satisfaction.