Jack Layton is desperate

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
I just heard on the news he's all for instating the long gun registry! Is there some mistake or has he lost his senses?

gingersnap

Nominee Member
Oct 18, 2009
Vancouver
Layton was against it when the Liberals introduced it, but now that the Conservatives want it scrapped, he's for it. It is a typical NDP move - vote against whatever the other guys are for, and for whatever the other guys are against. Sure all parties do it to some extent but it seems to be more prevalent with the NDP.

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Halifax, NS & Melbourne, VIC
Layton was against it when the Liberals introduced it, but now that the Conservatives want it scrapped, he's for it. It is a typical NDP move - vote against whatever the other guys are for, and for whatever the other guys are against. Sure all parties do it to some extent but it seems to be more prevalent with the NDP.

Funny, last I heard, he publicly stated that he's allowing his members to vote as they see fit in regards to this topic, considering how touchy it is for certain people and certain regions.

Layton defends allowing free vote on gun registry
Layton defends allowing free vote on gun registry - CTV News

NDP Leader Jack Layton says that allowing his party's MPs to vote freely on a bill to scrap the long-gun registry does not contradict his own stance: that the registry must be saved.

"My goal is to fix the registry so that it can work for everybody, and that's what our caucus is working very hard to accomplish," Layton told CTV's Question Period on Sunday.

He added that MPs will discuss what to do about the long-gun registry at a caucus strategy meeting in Regina this week.

"I am absolutely not saying, ‘Let's fix it by getting rid of it,'" Layton said.........

......."What we're doing in our party is what really what needs to happen in the whole country," Layton told CTV's Question Period on Sunday. "That is to build bridges between urban Canada and rural, northern and aboriginal Canada on an important issue."

The New Democrats traditionally allow their MPs to vote however they want on private member's bills. But Layton has been trying hard to convince his caucus to save the gun registry by proposing reforms that would placate angry constituents in rural and northern ridings........

Regardless of his personal beliefs on the topic, and regardless of what the party supported or didn't in the past, he imo, is taking the right approach, which is far more then what I can say about the Liberals or Conservatives who are whipping their members to vote as their leaders think they should..... it's not much of a democracy if your MP can not vote as they think they should in regards to representing your best interests.... otherwise, what's the point of voting for them to represent you if they can't represent you, but rather.... represent their leader's personal beliefs?

I think the registry should be scrapped and thought this since the day it came out, and while I don't agree with Layton's personal views on the topic, I have to give him brownie points for letting his party freely and democratically vote as they think they should.

Avro

Time Out
Feb 12, 2007
Oshawa

It's a typical political move.

wulfie68

Council Member
Mar 29, 2009
Calgary, AB
I just heard on the news he's all for instating the long gun registry! Is there some mistake or has he lost his senses?

Aside from the NDP strategy of obstructionism to any sitting gov't, Layton represents a riding in one of the major urban centers (someplace in Hogtown) and most of party's support also comes from the larger urban centers, which is where the registry's support is based. It shouldn't really be a surprise that he'd support it. If he is willing to allow his members a free vote on it, then thats all well and good but lets be realistic, most of the NDP will vote against scrapping it for those two reasons.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
Well it seems or is quite clear that the NDP who mnay dislike, myself included are the only and I state ONLY PARTY to let their member vote as they wish on private member bills.

That should also tell you something.

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
I heard Gilles Bisson stumbling over a party-line statement that really sounds like he has a choice. It's not sitting well with some folk around Timmins-James Bay....

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
I heard Gilles Bisson stumbling over a party-line statement that really sounds like he has a choice. It's not sitting well with some folk around Timmins-James Bay....
True enough - take the criminal penalties out of it - make it free - and the Police do use it. Not a hard sell - You may see a private ,mebers bill with that in it for the next parliament -

Harper is playing division within the country - Time for him to leave.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
True enough - take the criminal penalties out of it - make it free - and the Police do use it. Not a hard sell - You may see a private ,mebers bill with that in it for the next parliament -

Harper is playing division within the country - Time for him to leave.

Already there is only about half of the long guns registered.

Take the criminal penalties out? How will that help?

The entire Firearms Act is a travesty. Git rid of it, replace it with something sensible, something people will comply with, yet is still useful.....

This whole situation pisses me off to an unimaginable degree....these idiots are going to give me another coronary.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
Already there is only about half of the long guns registered.

Take the criminal penalties out? How will that help?

The entire Firearms Act is a travesty. Git rid of it, replace it with something sensible, something people will comply with, yet is still useful.....

This whole situation pisses me off to an unimaginable degree....these idiots are going to give me another coronary.

And what would that replacement be?

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
And what would that replacement be?

Simple graduated licenses that require training for each different level of firearms ownership.

Get caught with a firearm for which you do not have the required license.

Go to jail.

That is all that is required. Anything else is a case of radically reduced return on investment of money, of law resources, and especially of the good will of a significant part of society.

Don Martin: Tories thrilled by NDP’s rumoured saving of the gun registry | Full Comment | National Post

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
Simple graduated licenses that require training for each different level of firearms ownership.

Go to jail.

That is all that is required. Anything else is a case of radically reduced return on investment of money, of law resources, and especially of the good will of a significant part of society.

Don Martin: Tories thrilled by NDP’s rumoured saving of the gun registry | Full Comment | National Post

And no registration means - Not my rifle - i found it - Try and prove in todays courts that he is wrong. good luck - you know the answer as well as i do - Not guilty - Found a weapon and was turning it in to the Police, Honest to god your Honor - the burden of proof would be impossible to prove different.

No answer on the common Gun registry does not work attitude - showed its stuff in Mayerthrope did it not?

And how many other cases that we do not hear of? Do you have the answer - how many cases where a person has made threats and guns were removed because of it, Do you know the answer?

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.

Go to jail.

I don't think Layton will get much support from party members on this. The N.D.P. has always stood for the down to earth common working man (in a misguided manner for sure) and down to earth people hate bureaucracy more than anything. To them registering a rifle or shot gun is as ridiculous as having to register a plow or pitchfork. Any N.D.P. M.P. with any integrity will vote according to his/her electorates wishes.

Bar Sinister

Executive Branch Member
Jan 17, 2010
Edmonton
I doubt that Mr. Layton is too desperate; at least not any more than most NDP leaders. Like many leaders of the past (Tommy Douglas, Ed Broadbent) he is quite popular with voters, but when it comes to federal election time the votes tend to go to one or the other of the two major parties. It appears that the Canadian voter is quite happy to have the NDP as an annoying thorn in the side of the Liberals or Conservatives, but shies away from actually putting the party into power. This has been helped along by the tendency of the Liberals and sometimes the Conservatives to borrow the more popular planks of the NDP platform.

So far as the registry is concerned it is not too much of a stretch for the NDP to support a policy that is very close to its pacifist roots.

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Halifax, NS & Melbourne, VIC

Go to jail.

Agreed..... Go through the proper background checks, go through proper training, get your license...... don't have any of that and found with a firearm in your possession.... go to jail.

Considering all police are supposed to go into an unknown situation with the assumption a weapon (knife, gun, bomb, rubber chicken) being present..... the registry is baseless towards protection because just because they're going into a house or someone's property that's registered as having a gun, doesn't automatically mean that person is going to use that gun on the police....... and just because they're going into a house or someone's property where the registry says they don't have a gun, doesn't automatically mean they really don't have a gun and if they do, they won't use it.

Not to sound too politically incorrect, but the Registry is Demonically Retarded & Useless like Tits on a Turtle.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Layton now feels all the N.D.P. members will support him, which on the one hand is somewhat surprising to me, but on the other hand isn't as when all else fails N.D.P. just loves lots of bureaucracy. :smile: