Canada Bulk Water Export- a tidbit

cyberclark

Electoral Member
[FONT=&quot]" Dasani Water Company (Coca Cola) in Calgary and the Calgary Malting Company, own more water in our drinking aquifer than does the City of Calgary own in Surface water rights. Calgary's surface water is glacier fed and dwindling expected to last another 10 years or so.

Calgary Malting's water allotment is a hand down from the Calgary Brewing and Maltings Aquarium adventure. The Aquarium is no more but the water is still in their hands.

There is nothing in NAFTA, if it was made legal, that would force these companies to sell directly to Calgary. Indeed; they would rather not. By the nature of aquifers their business address does not mean a thing. They can drill into the aquifer at any point close to the US border and pipe or flow water from that point into the US.

This is the primary drinking water aquifer in Alberta!

It now appears the Liberals and the NDP are okay with Bulk Water Export. Repeated inquiries to them have brought nothing for response. Time to fight folks!

[/FONT]

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
[FONT=&quot]" Dasani Water Company (Coca Cola) in Calgary and the Calgary Malting Company, own more water in our drinking aquifer than does the City of Calgary own in Surface water rights. Calgary's surface water is glacier fed and dwindling expected to last another 10 years or so.

Calgary Malting's water allotment is a hand down from the Calgary Brewing and Maltings Aquarium adventure. The Aquarium is no more but the water is still in their hands.

There is nothing in NAFTA, if it was made legal, that would force these companies to sell directly to Calgary. Indeed; they would rather not. By the nature of aquifers their business address does not mean a thing. They can drill into the aquifer at any point close to the US border and pipe or flow water from that point into the US.

This is the primary drinking water aquifer in Alberta!

It now appears the Liberals and the NDP are okay with Bulk Water Export. Repeated inquiries to them have brought nothing for response. Time to fight folks!

[/FONT]

I don't know how Alberta water right are worded but in B.C. they are tied to a specific property or operation. You cannot change the useage or ownership without the permission of the comptroller of water rights.
So for example if the pulp mill in Powell River which has water rights on the two lake systems there was to close operations they could not just start selling water without permission. When they split the power generation from the pulp mill proper they had to get the water permit amended and the amount used is quite specific.

There is also the rules concerning fish habitat, and the amount of water that must be allowed to flow to create the right salinity in the estuarys.

cyberclark

Electoral Member
Wild Rose is an Uber Conservative party founded in Southern Alberta. Their extreme positions are forcing the ruling Conservatives to step up their right wing agenda.

I have come to see them as competing to see who can be the biggest bastard.

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
There are links in the Blog for you to follow if you are so inclined.

I've clicked on every link I can find....can't find any relevant info or data. From the very little I've gleaned from this thread so far, I can only assume you are an alarmist.