• For the thrill of debate?

Votes: 1 7.7%
  • To speak your mind?

Votes: 4 30.8%
  • To ruffle feathers?

• To learn from others?

• To sharpen your own opinions by having them challenged?

• Other

Votes: 5 38.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

ansutherland

Electoral Member
Jun 24, 2010
I have noticed a lot of different attitudes and personalities since being on here. I have noticed that generally, certain people are always going to respond certain ways and that often their opinions are unwavering. Out of curiosity, why do you all post within Canadian Politics? Is it just to speak your mind? For the thrill of debate? To ruffle feathers? To play the devil’s advocate? To be enlightened or persuaded? To sharpen your own opinions and positions? Or, are most of your reasons quite eclectic in reasoning?

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
Because it's a wonderful circus, and sometimes - just sometimes - there's a pragmatic solution by the end of a long, convoluted thread.

ansutherland

Electoral Member
Jun 24, 2010
I would say that I mostly post for the thrill of debate as well as, to a lesser extent, to sharpen my opinions and perspectives. By having others challenge my thoughts, I am forced to think about the issue more objectively than if I were talking to someone who agreed with me.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
I was waiting for beer to be awarded based upon posts and threads started. Still waiting - are you telling me I was wrong?

ansutherland

Electoral Member
Jun 24, 2010
I was waiting for beer to be awarded based upon posts and threads started. Still waiting - are you telling me I was wrong?

Not wrong at all. It's like a lottery though, and you never know when you are going to win. All you can do is just keep posting. :lol:

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
For the thrill of debate?

To speak your mind?

To ruffle feathers?

To learn from others?

To sharpen your own opinions by having them challenged?

All of the above, but mostly to learn and offer info.

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
this is my way of finding out 'what' others are thinking, and thinking about. I am not a social
person, don't visit and gather in groups to chat, this is it for me.

Bar Sinister

Executive Branch Member
Jan 17, 2010
Edmonton
I like arguing - so long as the argument is civil and the person I am arguing with has half a clue about what he is talking about. I doubt that anyone pays the least attention to anything I have to say, but it is fun saying it. And I quite like the personalities that show through the posts. There are a lot of fun people out there - even Walter.

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
I like arguing -
No you don't.
so long as the argument is civil and the person I am arguing with has half a clue about what he is talking about. I doubt that anyone pays the least attention to anything I have to say, but it is fun saying it.
No it isn't.
And I quite like the personalities that show through the posts.
I bet you don't.
There are a lot of fun people out there - even Walter.
Not a lot.

:D :D

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
No you don't. No it isn't. I bet you don't. Not a lot.

:D :D
Your post reminds me of the Monty Python skit where the guy pays for an argument and John Cleese just keeps saying the opposite to what the guy says.
"This is not an argument"
"Yes it is."
"No it isn't"
"But you are just contradicting me."
"No I'm not."
"Yes you are."

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
I have noticed a lot of different attitudes and personalities since being on here. I have noticed that generally, certain people are always going to respond certain ways and that often their opinions are unwavering. Out of curiosity, why do you all post within Canadian Politics? Is it just to speak your mind? For the thrill of debate? To ruffle feathers? To play the devil’s advocate? To be enlightened or persuaded? To sharpen your own opinions and positions? Or, are most of your reasons quite eclectic in reasoning?

Good entertainment & a good place to make friends & at the same time piss off obnoxious posters.

I would say that I mostly post for the thrill of debate as well as, to a lesser extent, to sharpen my opinions and perspectives. By having others challenge my thoughts, I am forced to think about the issue more objectively than if I were talking to someone who agreed with me.

Yep, even I have changed my opinion about certain things, thanks to people who are brighter than me. :smile::smile::smile:

I like arguing - so long as the argument is civil and the person I am arguing with has half a clue about what he is talking about. I doubt that anyone pays the least attention to anything I have to say, but it is fun saying it. And I quite like the personalities that show through the posts. There are a lot of fun people out there - even Walter.

And Yukon Jack. :smile:

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
A: Come in.
M: Ah, Is this the right room for an argument?
A: I told you once.
M: No you haven't.
A: Yes I have.
M: When?
A: Just now.
M: No you didn't.
A: Yes I did.
M: You didn't
A: I did!
M: You didn't!
A: I'm telling you I did!
M: You did not!!
A: Oh, I'm sorry, just one moment. Is this a five minute argument or the full half hour?
M: Oh, just the five minutes.
A: Ah, thank you. Anyway, I did.
M: You most certainly did not.
A: Look, let's get this thing clear; I quite definitely told you.
M: No you did not.
M: You didn't.
A: Did.
M: Oh look, this isn't an argument.
A: Yes it is.
M: No it isn't. It's just contradiction.
A: No it isn't.
M: It is!
A: It is not.
M: Look, you just contradicted me.
A: I did not.
M: Oh you did!!
A: No, no, no.
M: You did just then.
A: Nonsense!
M: Oh, this is futile!
M: I came here for a good argument.
A: No you didn't; no, you came here for an argument.
M: An argument isn't just contradiction.
A: It can be.
M: No it can't. An argument is a connected series of statements intended to establish a proposition.
M: Yes it is! It's not just contradiction.
A: Look, if I argue with you, I must take up a contrary position.
M: Yes, but that's not just saying 'No it isn't.'
A: Yes it is!
M: No it isn't!
A: Yes it is!
M: Argument is an intellectual process. Contradiction is just the automatic gainsaying of any statement the other person makes.
(short pause)
M: It is.
A: Not at all.
M: Now look.
A: (Rings bell) Good Morning.
M: What?
A: That's it. Good morning.
M: I was just getting interested.
A: Sorry, the five minutes is up.
M: That was never five minutes!
A: I'm afraid it was.
M: It wasn't.
Pause
A: I'm sorry, but I'm not allowed to argue anymore.
M: What?!
A: If you want me to go on arguing, you'll have to pay for another five minutes.
M: Yes, but that was never five minutes, just now. Oh come on!
A: (Hums)
M: Look, this is ridiculous.
A: I'm sorry, but I'm not allowed to argue unless you've paid!
M: Oh, all right.
(pays money)
A: Thank you.
short pause
M: Well?
A: Well what?
M: That wasn't really five minutes, just now.
A: I told you, I'm not allowed to argue unless you've paid.
M: I just paid!
A: No you didn't.
M: I DID!
A: No you didn't.
M: Look, I don't want to argue about that.
A: Well, you didn't pay.
M: Aha. If I didn't pay, why are you arguing? I Got you!
A: No you haven't.
M: Yes I have. If you're arguing, I must have paid.
A: Not necessarily. I could be arguing in my spare time.
M: Oh I've had enough of this.
A: No you haven't.
M: Oh Shut up.

Reactions: Goober

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
For the thrill of debate?

To speak your mind?

To ruffle feathers?

To learn from others?

To sharpen your own opinions by having them challenged?

All of the above, but mostly to learn and offer info.
I'll second that post.

I doubt that anyone pays the least attention to anything I have to say, but it is fun saying it.
You'd be surprised Bar. I kind of like your posts, even when I think you're out to lunch.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
I would say that everybody thinks that anybody who has a diametrically opposed view to theirs is out to lunch.

I post because I like to express my opinion, I like to see what other people think of those opinions, and this is where I find out what is going on in the world beyond these mountains. I don't watch TV, listen to radio or read newspapers. I find the full spectrum of views available here, allow me to form opinions that are not one dimensional like the ones fed to us by the media.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
I would say that everybody thinks that anybody who has a diametrically opposed view to theirs is out to lunch.
Although I think you got what I meant by that, I just want to make it clear, that was said in jest with my tongue firmly planted in my cheek. It had no other connotations at all what so ever.