Why is discrimination of the majority ok?

ansutherland

Electoral Member
Jun 24, 2010
I just read this: Ottawa barbershop won't cut woman's hair - Yahoo! Canada News
It is about a lady complaining that she could not get her hair cut at a barber shop because they only cut mens hair. She is, as a result, contemplating legal action. My question is, why is it not ok for services to be rendered exclusively to one group when they are provided exclusively to another? The best example I can think of is women's only gyms, but there are plenty of others such as sporting events that are directed towards certain racial groups. The way I see it, what's good for the goose is good for the gander.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
Only white males are discriminated against in Canada. Aside from that why would she want to go to a barber shop?
Why do we have race based fisheries? Or quotas for federal jobs where your ethnic background is more important than merit to get a job.

ansutherland

Electoral Member
Jun 24, 2010
Well, not that it's a racial group, but there was the gay olympics a year or two ago, and where I'm from, Williams Lake, there is the Punjabi games.

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
Well, not that it's a racial group, but there was the gay olympics a year or two ago, and where I'm from, Williams Lake, there is the Punjabi games.

So....like the Special Olympics, etc...? Did you want to compete in the Punjabi Games
or something? Were you turned down?

Annually I compete in the Redneck Olympics. Non-Rednecks could compete if they really
want to, I guess, but it has never been an issue.

gopher

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2005
Minnesota: Gopher State
"Only white males are discriminated against in Canada."

Can't speak for Canada but here in the States it is generally acknowledged that those who harbor such thoughts have a very low self estimation.

ansutherland

Electoral Member
Jun 24, 2010
Whether or not I wish to apply or participate is not the point.....and I think you know that. The point is, some groups get away with it without challenge or question, others do not. I think you used the Special Olympics as an example to excuse many of the indefensible examples that exist. Good try at a diversion.

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
Whether or not I wish to apply or participate is not the point.....and I think you know that. The point is, some groups get away with it without challenge or question, others do not. I think you used the Special Olympics as an example to excuse many of the indefensible examples that exist. Good try at a diversion.

Just try'n to get a grasp on the situation. Can't debate it if I'm not clear on it. So the
Punjabi Games should be open to everyone (are you sure they're not if you didn't
try to participate?) along with the First Nations Games (same question above),
and I won't even touch the question of the Special Olympics....

Where would the Redneck Olympics fit into this?

If you want to fight the good fight on equality, maybe the place to start
would be the annual Can-Am Police-Fire Games. They don't start for
about a month, so there's still time. You might set case precedence.

Check out the discriminatory eligibility requirements:

Can-Am Police-Fire Games -- Eligibility/General Rules

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Only white males are discriminated against in Canada. Aside from that why would she want to go to a barber shop?
Why do we have race based fisheries? Or quotas for federal jobs where your ethnic background is more important than merit to get a job.

Yep, that part is sure a crock of sh*t. :lol::lol::lol:

Downhome_Woman

Electoral Member
Dec 2, 2008
Ontariariario
I just read this: Ottawa barbershop won't cut woman's hair - Yahoo! Canada News
It is about a lady complaining that she could not get her hair cut at a barber shop because they only cut mens hair. She is, as a result, contemplating legal action. My question is, why is it not ok for services to be rendered exclusively to one group when they are provided exclusively to another? The best example I can think of is women's only gyms, but there are plenty of others such as sporting events that are directed towards certain racial groups. The way I see it, what's good for the goose is good for the gander.

Trying to get a decent haircut when your hair is short and you're a woman is not the same as going to a gym and being gawked at. Also, at unisex salons, I have the same length of hair and would get it cut the same way as many guys might, but I get charged more - I was told that women's hair is 'different'. Oh - and do you realize that the cost for dry cleaning a womans shirt at me dry cleaners is more than for a man's- even if it's the same cut? Please - she was a fool to claim it was a 'human rights' issue, (I live in Ottawa - I know the story) but not cutting her hair because she's a woman? What? Is the barber shop some sort of sanctum sanctorum? Before you get your 'man hair' curt you perform some secret man hair ritual? It's only hair, for Pete's sake!

YukonJack

Time Out
Dec 26, 2008
Winnipeg
taxslave wrote:

Only partially true.

White male homosexuals can get away with anything they want, say or do.
So can white male handicapped people.
So can white male atheists.
So can white male liberals.
So can white males who came here illegally.

If a white male is any or all of the above he's got it made.

All other white males, shut up, or you will be called racist, homophobe, xenophobe, religious nut, extremist or worse.

Just see the inevitable vitriol responding to this post.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Trying to get a decent haircut when your hair is short and you're a woman is not the same as going to a gym and being gawked at. Also, at unisex salons, I have the same length of hair and would get it cut the same way as many guys might, but I get charged more - I was told that women's hair is 'different'. Oh - and do you realize that the cost for dry cleaning a womans shirt at me dry cleaners is more than for a man's- even if it's the same cut? Please - she was a fool to claim it was a 'human rights' issue, (I live in Ottawa - I know the story) but not cutting her hair because she's a woman? What? Is the barber shop some sort of sanctum sanctorum? Before you get your 'man hair' curt you perform some secret man hair ritual? It's only hair, for Pete's sake!

Many businesses have a sign right on the wall stating "We maintain the right to deny service to anyone", which is probably the way it should be, if we really live in a free country. :smile::smile:

taxslave wrote:

Only partially true.

All other white males, shut up, or you will be called racist, homophobe, xenophobe, religious nut, extremist or worse.

What would we do Y.J. without you to give us a good laugh for the day? :lol:

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
taxslave wrote:

Only partially true.

No, you would still have to speak French to get a federal job above labourer. I worked for the DND as a mechanic for a while and I'm sure I got the job only because I was the only applicant that has native ancestory. The only thing that could trump that would be a handicaped french speaking Inuit woman. And any of them are probably smart enough not to want the job.

Curiosity

Senate Member
Jul 30, 2005
California
Um - If I missed what I am asking - I apologize - but are there female BARBERS in the Canadian Barbers' Union?

If so are they only allowed to cut male hair in a Barbershop or are restricted to working in a Woman's Beauty Salon?

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
We had an interesting thing here in NB for the last couple of years. At some point, they amalgamated Barbers into the Hair Stylists under the provincial regulations. The barbers objected to the licensing requirements, and managed to separate themselves after a court case to determine that people could become barbers without having to be hair stylists.

from what I can understand, barbers can do both men and women, but there are some things that barbers don't do.

ansutherland

Electoral Member
Jun 24, 2010
I personally don't really care all that much what we end up with in terms of having clubs for certain groups and not others as long as it's consistent. If women can have clubs that men can't attend, then men should have the same right......if men however can't have them, then neither can women. If it's cool to have the Punjabi Games, then the Caucasian Games should be OK too. If however whites cannot have their own games, then neither can anyone else. I have a feeling though that even if you named it the Caucasian Games yet made it open to anyone, you would have a public outrage.